Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Crafty Corner If you are creative, love to knit or crochet, paint, or just enjoy making fun stuff with your kids, this is the forum for you.

Old 11-27-2002, 11:49 AM
Nine Year Member

Quilting Club

Just came back from a demonstration of the quilters club. They really do some fine work. Was wondering how many like to quilt?
They all meet once a week in the club house and sew or help others on their projects.

Old 11-27-2002, 03:05 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I like to quilt Sueanne. I'm basically a beginner but really enjoy it. I'd like to get in a group like that. That would be fun. Loved the photo.
Old 12-15-2002, 06:28 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Question

hi all,cold someone teach me how to make quilts or give me more info on websites or anything like that which teaches to make quilts for beginners.thanks laxmi.
Old 12-15-2002, 07:02 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi Sueanne

My sister took me to a quilt seminar for 3 days in the beginning of November. She has been quilting for years. I cannot believe how relaxing and how much fun it is. I want to make some quilt projects for Christmas presents next year. It is hard to find the time because I work full time but I do love to do it

Old 12-15-2002, 09:12 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hello to all,
I am a beginner. I have made 5 quilts and a small baby quilt for my great grand daughter.
I love it. I do a lot of scrap quilting and strip quilting. After the first of the year I am going to attempt to make a butterfly quilt. found a pattern on one of the quilt sites. The butterflies are made of hankerchiefs. I was thinking about taking a hankerchief and cutting the same size out of pretty flowered material and putting them on companion blocks with the dominate color from the flowered piece. I am hoping I am not taking on more than I can handle. I have sewn for years but just now getting into quilts and I love it. The first one I made was a piece quilt and one square alone has 30 different pieces of material in it. By the time I had finished it I thought I was really crazy for tackling something of that magnatitude. It is so colorful and different from any quilt I have ever seen. I am not too fond of the set squares where everything is the same. I love the strip quilting.
I made my son one for Christmas made from flannel and he loves it. I use a sheet for the backing for all my quilts. You can buy them at Wal-Mart and they are really nice and make a good backing. I cut a 12" or a 14" square of batting, muslin and then I sew my material on top of the two. Makes for a nice square.
Happy quilting to everyone.
Frankie
Old 12-15-2002, 12:10 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

HELLO EVERYONE.i love to quilt.i am self taught.i've never had the time or the money to take the classes.i just finished a quilt for my brother(today as a matter of fact).it is called block in block.it was made out of scrap material.things like his sons baby clothes.his wifes work uniform tops.his old clothes.our moms, things like that.so it will have meaning.all of you have a wonderful day.
Merry Christmas
Emmalee
Old 12-15-2002, 01:04 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I like to quilt also. I started out by taking a night course offered at a local high school for beginners about 15 years ago. I usually make pillows, because they don't take too much time. With four children, sometimes my craft time is limited.

Our Church has a quilting group which I joined, but I don't go any more. There are some wonderfully talented women there, and two ladies who are really good teachers. The only problem I have is that when the group started , we were supposed to sew a quilt top, and then spend the time together quilting it. Most of the ladies that joined wanted to learn how to make things, so they do most of the work at home and just learn how to do the things at the class. They do most of the work with sewing machines , and then send the tops out to be machine quilted by a company. This is fine if that's what you want to do, but to me , that is just sewing. I like to do almost all of the work by hand, and do the quilting also by hand , this is the relaxing part that I love, it takes a lot of time, but it is so gratifying when it is done. This is probably another reason why I like to do pillows, it doesn't take too long, and it is easy to do by hand.

Years ago , I did send for a kit that you sew together about `12-20 pieces to make birds common to your area, and then applique them onto squares. There are also something like 1,069 triangles on the front, in all different shades of greens, yellows and blues. Unfortunately I only have about 75 triangles done, so I have a long way to go. About a year ago we moved into a new house that has enough room for me to set up a table and do some work on it, because it has to be left out, too difficult to keep putting away after a time's work!! I am hoping that a New Year's resolution will be to make time to work on it.!!

Sorry this is so long, quilting is a wonderful hobby, and those invovled in it are usually passionate about fabrics, patterns, etc!!

GWTW
Old 12-15-2002, 01:12 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Beginner Quilting Resources

lakshmi,

Here are some links at about.com that should help a beginner.

http://quilting.about.com/cs/easyfree/

http://quilting.about.com/gi/dynamic....com/basic.htm

http://quilting.about.com/cs/freetips/index.htm

Hope some of these help you.
Old 12-17-2002, 10:14 AM
missmouse

I love to quilt. I am currently working on a dresden plate. My mom got me into quilting and she belongs to her local quilters guild. Does anyone have or know where I can find the pattern "apple tree"? It is kind of like tree of life. I have tried a lot of sites in the web but still can't locate it. Thanks.
Old 12-17-2002, 05:56 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Missmouse-- I haven't heard of it, but I"ll check my books and see if I come up with anything.

Good Luck!

GWTW