Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Crafty Corner If you are creative, love to knit or crochet, paint, or just enjoy making fun stuff with your kids, this is the forum for you.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 08-04-2004, 12:55 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Craft Boutiques

Hi. I'm new to this and this is my second reply. Recently I had to quit work (HR Generalist) and stay home to take care of my health. I've always crafted, painted, stamp art...I collected hobbies/crafts. I live in a state where crafting seems to be inherent in the culture. There are craft supply stores and boutque shops everywhere! My frustration is that this fosters an attitude of "I can do that for alot cheaper." Time, skill and practice are under appreciated.

However, I have some good experiences with a partnership I joined. There were about 12 of us (the partnership was well established before I joined). We had our own specialty (no crossovers). To keep our rent down we took turns working and watching the shop. It was in a great location and I always made my rent plus I came out ahead. I moved on to a craft mall. It's slow going but again, I've been able to make rent each month. I would love to sell my things in an area that has high tourist traffic but mailing my items in the past has not worked out. Any ideas or suggestions on beefing up marketing? Fliers, business cards, etc???

My FC Member Awards!

Curious?
Old 08-04-2004, 03:56 AM

Cystenquist-

I can understand your plight, there's another member on here in Oregon who has the same problem. I don't know that I have a ready answer but depending on what you are selling, think about beauty salons as one source and maybe some small Mom and Pop type stores. Our Shell gas station which is privately owned is selling Incense Sticks on the counter that is from a vendor and doing extremely well I might add. If I knew them better I would suggest they sell my wine bottle incense burners there.

Nocashmissy-

I am so glad to hear you are doing well with your hemp jewelry and I say "Go for it" on the consignment shop... that is super cheap. I pay $50.00 a month for mine plus 5% commission. We are not getting rich there but are making the rent and a little over. The thing I'm having to worry about now and it really steams me is Plagerism! A new vendor moved into a booth down from mine and is selling Buckeye Necklaces, which is one thing we sell. Ours are huge Buckeyes from last year, 13 to a necklace... we charge $12.00 for them. They are selling 4 to a necklace and using ribbon and are underbidding us by selling for $5.00! I intend to write the owner as the rule was each vendor had to sell something different!

Anna
Old 08-05-2004, 06:07 AM

Update

I mentioned yesterday that another vendor was duplicating one of our products and I emailed the owner about it. She emailed me back saying that she wasn't aware of it and would go check it out, so hopefully she'll delicately tell them this is against the rules. They are new and it's possible they didn't get the speech we got when we started about not duplicating. We've been very good about not doing that.... there's alot of crafts there that we could make too but we respect the other vendors enough not to do that.

Anna
Old 08-15-2004, 07:55 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Well my stuff has been in the shop for a week no bites but thats ok. My mom and husband also put stuff in with me. I've been taking my stuff to a friends tanning salon too. and sold some items there. I've been doing special orders on School names for keychains and bracelets. I gave my dd a keychain with her school and alot of students are interested. I told her for ever order she gets me I will give her a $1 I know not alot but I sell them for $5 so thats like 25%. Me and my mom talked yesterday about doing some craft shows in the fall together. So I'm going to get some info on the different schools and mascots to make up some items. we got 2 planned so far one in october and one in november. Since my cash flow is low I'm using what i got in beads and hemp and making some different styles that isn't the norm. my kids where the stuff to promote and I do to. dh doesn't because his neck is to big and I haven't got him one made to his liking and size. All of my family has keychains. I'm making my Brother one too he is a Football coach at a local high school and I'm going to do his football with the team mascot.
Missy
Old 08-16-2004, 04:37 AM

Nocashmissy

Good going, I'm proud of you for stepping out there and following your dream! It's a competitive field and alot of people give up when they don't start making money right away... diversity is good too. I started out making soaps and candles and while they sell, I wasn't selling enough to support my booth rent so we also put in my dh's clocks and buckeye necklaces and some other things so we sell one or two of each thing but together they all add up to money in the bank. And it's fun... that's the bottom line is to do something you enjoy and make a little money on it at the same time.

I just found Cleveland Browns material yesterday and am going to start making Cleveland Browns blue jean purses tonight. I was so excited to find it that I bought the whole bolt of fabric. Now if I can just find Cincinnati Bengals material.

Anna