FamilyCorner.com Forums

FamilyCorner.com Forums (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/)
-   Crafty Corner (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/crafty-corner/)
-   -   Extra Photographs (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/crafty-corner/4949-extra-photographs.html)

krazikwilt 11-18-2002 03:58 PM

Extra Photographs

Hi everyone!
I have a problem with so many extra photographs! I usually get doubles of the film I get developed so I have ended up with a couple of ziplock gallon size bags of extra photos. I have one set in a photo album and wondered if anyone had any ideas about what to do with the extra photos. They are of both sides of the family, kids growing up, vacations, sports, etc. I just don't know what to do with them anymore. Help!:eek:

Caronamy 11-26-2002 09:13 AM

Hi new neighbor!

extra copies - hmmm.

Depends on the picture, you could use them for postcards. All you have to do is write on the back "postcard" and mail it.

You could cut them out and use them as gift tags for presents.

You could paste them together as a collage in a frame. Or can even do a collage on the front of a photo album.

If you have kids you could give them copies and buy them cheap photo albums and let them make their own albums. I bought some of those cheap plastic ones at the dollar store, the flip kind and we took a piece of paper, wallpaper, old wrapping paper - cut it the size of the picture holder then cut the picture and attached it to the colored paper, and took words and dates etc and glued them on. ie - scrapbooking, but not fancy scrapbooking!!!

Tanget alert...
I can remember when I was a teenager, my cousin and I went through photo albums an made up thought bubbles/saying and put them under or on the pictures..it was fun...way before scrapbooking became popular and before it was named!!!!

Hope these are some helpful ideas for you.

sjrussell 11-26-2002 09:54 AM

We keep the extra copies in a large basket on the coffee table. This is really great when you have relatives over around the holidays. It will start every one remembering back when ____ was just a little one. I also have a lot of my grandmothers old photos. We keep them out for the older relatives to help identify.

Always remember to date and list the occaision and who is in your photos while your memory is still good. Many of my grandmother's photos have no information on the back, and not many people are still around from her era (or have a poor memory) so we are not sure who the subjects are (or what the occaision is).

marian 11-26-2002 11:13 AM

:confused:
Yes, I do the same. Have doubles made when I have a film developed. I put one set in various albums and put the extra set aside for the time of year when I send out my annual Christmas letter. I put an appropriate picture in the envelope along with a letter to family members and friends. I have had a lot of comments on this as they open and find a picture of themselves or a family member that they were not expecting. A good way to get rid of those doubles you do not need. I have disposed of most of mine in this way. I also made a lot of them happy with a picture they were happy to have. Try it as it might work with you also. Bye Marian in ND :daisy:

krazikwilt 11-26-2002 11:26 AM

Thank you all for your ideas! The photos are still in the bag under the cupboard!! LOL! I thought I would do something with them after Christmas when things go back to "normal"! I may try some of these suggestions and see how they work! I had also seen the photos that stand up like statues with the foam core backing. I think I may try to do some of those also especially with the sports ones. If you think of any other ideas.......let me know!
Thanks again!
Janene

Caronamy 11-26-2002 11:43 AM

I also have a couple of pictures cut out - a few of my dog that I have taped on the outside of a picture from of my son.

I have a picture that I cut out of my son with a huge fish that's sticking out of Billy Big Mouth Bass in my son's room. next to a few other fishing things.

krazikwilt 11-26-2002 11:51 AM

I was just crusin' the net and found this link to a lot of different crafts you can do with photos. I like some of them and may try a few later on. What do you think? Is there any at this link that you like?
http://www.makingfriends.com/photos.htm#Photo Sculptures

Shelly9963 11-26-2002 12:17 PM

I get three copies of my film prints, one for me and my scrapbook, one for maternal grandparents scrapbook (smaller 5x7 version) and one for paternal grandparents scrapbook. I started their books last year and I keep the refill pages here and make pages with the new pictures. I then send the pages all done up and fixed for them to add to their scrapbook or I add them myself the next time I see them.

Shelly
8-)

Juniorsmom 11-26-2002 12:28 PM

Extra Photographs

If you have extra pictures of people give one to someone in the photo, but be sure it is good picture of the person. I like the idea of putting them in a basket for company to look at and even take home any they would like to have.

I have a lot of photos of animals and scenery that I won't put into albums, so I plan to make placemats. Just glue them collage style onto construction paper and cover both sides with adhesive clear plastic with the plastic a half inch beyond the paper to seal it. The plastic edges can be pinked, cut straight, etc. You could put photos on both sides.

Juniorsmom 11-26-2002 12:38 PM

Extra Photographs

Another thought!

You can get magnetic sheets that are adhesive on one side. Use whole photos or cut out parts and make refrigerator magnets--maybe even for Christmas stocking stuffers. I haven't done this with photos but have made really cute ones using pictures from magazines.

Caronamy 11-26-2002 12:50 PM

totally ot but....welcome all my new neighbors....

Check out these other two fav threads of mine

For those that homeschool...
http://www.familycorner.com/forums/f...ne=&forumid=81

What's for dinner thread...
http://www.familycorner.com/forums/s...5&pagenumber=1

kffrmw88 11-26-2002 03:44 PM

photos

^^ Hi,I sug to save all the photos for the family after your death some one will enjoy them,besure names & the date of year they were taken,sure wish I had lot more of my family,grand parents & etc.Good luck.

MrsManiac 11-27-2002 04:16 AM

Oh, such great ideas!! I have tons of copies, too. I have a bunch of albums--the copies I keep in those cardboard photo boxes(I was using shoe boxes, but the photo ones are stronger for stacking). The main thing I've done is get two albums and put photos of my kids in for Grandma--there is a pic of me and dh while I was pregnant at the beginning, then newborn pics, first steps, etc etc. A lot of these pictures they don't have, plus it gives them a timeline!

A bit ot, but I also grabbed my mom's photos and organized them for her, also into boxes. She doesn't have a lot of space to keep albums out, and this really helped her out. (Her mom had passed away and the family was sorting old photos--she didn't want us to have to do hers when she goes.) I labeled the ones I could and got help from other family when she couldn't remember what the picture was for. Then, I labeled the outside of the box with the subject and years of the photos. I gave them back to her as her mother's day gift(part of it, anyway). She was ecstatic!! She sat for two hours, just going through them and remembering!

TifB 11-27-2002 09:59 AM

Extra Photos

My mother always taught us that you want to grab your photo books in case of a house fire. Because those are the only thing unreplacable. But that is soooo danegerous. Just get out. SO, I thought that I either take the negatives & put them in a safety deposit box envelope of all my photos or else I take the 2nd set of prints & put in a box that I can store at someone else's house that you in return do the same for their photos at your house. I pray that you never need to recover the 2nd set, but just in case you would have them & still be safe getting them back.

Juliecc913 11-27-2002 03:13 PM

TifB, that is a great idea. Where in Kansas are you from?

I was watching HGTV today--the Carol Duvall Show. She had Dee Grunig (spelling?) on. She was making XMAS ornaments out of photos (although I think she used copies). What she did was bought a rubber stamp for a frame, colored it, cut is out, placed the photo in the frame with double stick tape, stuck a piece of ribbon for a hanger and mounted it on other piece of paper. It was real cute and I thought that that was an ingenious way of using old photos and that it would make a really special XMAS tree.

MrsManiac 11-27-2002 03:51 PM

I meant to post this earlier, but it slipped my mind:

A cheap way to make photo magnets is to glue a picture to those free advertisment magnets--I got lucky last year when we moved into our house--the previous owner left a dozen on the fridge lol!

MomsZoo 11-28-2002 03:58 AM

Extra Pics

I had a ton of extra pictures too, and I made a HUGE collage with all of them. I bought a big frame (I think it's 20 x 24, I told you it was HUGE!) and used the blank side of the paper that comes in the frame. First I cut all of the pictures out so you can just see the people, not the background. Then I glued the pics on the paper with a glue stick and then put captions on all of the pictures. It turned out really cute and it's a great conversation piece, and of course, my kids love it. You can find captions at just about any camera store, but I got all of mine from Walgreens. Goodluck!

Janet in OK 12-09-2002 10:06 PM

WHAT TO DO WITH EXTRA PICTURES

Put your extra pictures & negatives in a safe deposit box at the bank! Friends have told me that in case of fire, tornado, etc. you will be glad to have those extra pictures. May nothing tragic like this ever happen to you, but the pictures are priceless & you will be glad they are available someday should something happen to your house.

troubles_54901 06-16-2004 05:47 AM

scrap book

make a scrapbook !!

bar_bar 07-28-2004 03:44 PM

you can practice cutting the pictures up in fancy shapes, then if you goof you got the other picture

cut the pieces up in different shapes like a jigsaw puzzel and let the kids put them together again using the other pictue as what it would look like

helps with eye and hand muscles.

MrsManiac
what kind of glue did you use to glue those photo magnets to the free adverstisment magnets?

MrsManiac 07-29-2004 06:38 AM

My mil had a glue that was safe for photos, but I don't know exactly what kind it was. I guess it didn't turn them yellow or something? But if it's just an extra photo, I'd think a plain glue stick would work.

Janet in OK--we have a safe that I put all our negatives in, as well as copies of any "special" pics we didn't take ourselves. My wedding proofs are in there, as well. Just putting the negs in there doesn't take much space, and I feel much better knowing those special memories might survive a fire!!

I saw this on some craft show on tv--she cut pictures into triangles with flaps on the sides, bent the flaps and glued them together. When she was done, she'd made an ornament. I wish I could explain it better, because it was very cool!!

cat lover 08-06-2015 02:47 PM

bump