Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Crafty Corner

Crafty Corner If you are creative, love to knit or crochet, paint, or just enjoy making fun stuff with your kids, this is the forum for you.

Old 11-03-2002, 08:51 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

What Crafts Are You Working On?

I was just wondering what others are working on at the moment? My crafting table is a bit of a mess, but at the moment I am working on primitive Christmas Ornaments. I have made them from a square piece of seeded calico, traced a design onto the calico which I then stitch using simple stitching with DMC cottons, I then add embellishments such as buttons or homespun bows, and then back the ornaments with wadding and homespun, and add a hanging tie. I have made Annies, Snowmen, Gingers and Penguins so far.

I am also working on a Gingerbread Man swag, but the Ornies have taken over a little bit of late.

So what are YOU working on? I would love to hear all about others 'works in progress'......
Old 12-30-2002, 02:11 AM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

At the moment I am making a new library bag and a new chair bag for school for my to be grade 3er next year. Nothing to crafty about that I'm afraid.
I did make a cork board with a mitred frame around the edge for a christmas present. At the moment I'm finished but also for xmas I made, 2 skirts for nieces, stencilled 25 christmas tea towels, and embroidered 16 bath pillows for the school fete, along with an unknown amount of christmas cards. I have a break now until the first of the birthdays start to come around.
Your calico christmas ornaments sound lovely.
Just out of curiosity which state are you in. Me I'm in Queensland.
Old 01-03-2003, 04:00 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi Bilby

I'm also in Queensland, (Central Queensland), where it is nice and hot and dry...

Sounds like you have been very busy lately with sewing and crafts! I'm doing some bits and pieces now for a Valentines Swap with a craft group I am involved in, and then hanging up my needles and thread for a while until after my baby arrives (approx. 4 weeks time)

Hope you had a good Christmas and New Year!
Old 01-03-2003, 07:57 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I'm working on a Winnie the Pooh latchhook rug and a counted cross stitch lighthouse wallhanging.
Old 01-05-2003, 01:37 AM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Hi raggedymom
How far central? I had a brother in law working at the century mine(?) in Mt Isa. The furtherest west I have been is Meandarra and Condamine only to visit friends who used to have wheat and sheep.
Are you busy making baby clothes? It's like making cabbage patch dolls clothes, luckily I have never made anything smaller than a size 1.
I thought it was dry here but you would have it 50 times drier than us, are you on a farm?
Making stuff for school keeps me occupied I spend time helping to teach reading in class also, I'd go nuts if I had nothing to do!

Sorry, just excited about finding another Queenslander
Old 01-05-2003, 08:17 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi Julie!

Is the latchooking a difficult craft? I have never tried it. I used to do lots of cross stitch, but havent done any since I started making cloth dolls.

Hi Bilby!

I'm in Rockhampton, but live in the town, not on a farm. It's been terribly hot here lately, I was born here, then have lived interstate for several years, and I moved back up from NSW last year and there was ice and snow where we were living, so it was a shock to the system coming back up here to this heat!

No, I dont make my own baby clothes, I don't have the talent or the patience!

Nice to meet another Queenslander here
Old 01-05-2003, 09:30 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Hi Raggedymom! Another Australian! How wonderful...Bilby is such a fun person to talk to...feel like we have been friends forever. Glad to meet you too Raggedymom! Your country sounds so interesting, I hearing about it.

Right now I am working on finishing all my sewing projects.I am making a comforter...hate to tell you this but I have had this half made since 1985....my goal now is to work up all the material I have squirreled away.I have a trunk full and a large tote full! I want to make some robes, pillowcases, toss pillows, and I am reworking some of my older clothes...I take different parts of outfits I like and make something different out of them...example, if I like the bodice of a dress, I cut off the shirt part and rework the top of the former dress, to make a shirt...usually it is just adding a hem, or lace, I have some unique tops...never find them in the store and not on everyone! I have also used dresses to make skirts, jammies, and if it doesn't work out..I have new rags.lol I even shop thrift stores looking for unusual buttons, beading, lace, ....I love the thrift stores..my guys hate it when I go there and I check often because new stuff is always coming in.
I am always trying to figure out what I can make out of this or that...even with food containers or furniture....they think I am crackers! I say I am Creative!!

janet
Old 01-05-2003, 11:16 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Hi Raggedymom. No, latch hooking is not hard. I bought a kit at a craft store. My mother has started rug hooking the old fashioned way with long strips of wool. One of these days, I'm going to have her show me how to do that.

Janet, what a cool idea remaking clothes. I don't think I'd have the nerve. If you've got some photos of some things you've made, I'd love to see them.
Old 01-05-2003, 02:11 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Hi Raggedymom
Hey another one in my time zone.
We have just come back from holiday, Bundaberg and Hervey Bay, before hand we were discussing going on the tilt train to Rockhampton but weren't sure if the kids would behave on a train that long.

I used to do cross stitch but for me it takes to long, I only do tiny ones now.
I like to make cards, you can put the tiny crossstitches in those. There is a stamping a paper craft magazine in the news agents that I like to get ideas from.
You must be looking forward to your baby being born as the weather is hot, do you have air.con?

Janet, it sounds like you love your sewing too, but I'm afraid I'm not as inventive as you.
Old 01-05-2003, 08:25 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

I have a crummy camera...it takes awful pictures, you can get close enough and when you step back it is not clear or sharp enough...I wanted to get one for Christmas, but they are so pricey and I want a good one. I have a scanner, so if I can't scan it I am sunk!

janet