Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Crafty Corner If you are creative, love to knit or crochet, paint, or just enjoy making fun stuff with your kids, this is the forum for you.

Old 04-27-2002, 11:46 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Question Crafting Questions

Does anyone know how to make a powder puff?

I bought a container of pretty-smelling body powder which came with the large puff. Over time, my fingernails made holes in the puff and someone I didn't trust used it, so I threw it away and dumped the powder. I bought more powder in a shaker can and have been using a washcloth to apply the powder, but the washcloth doesn't do a very good job.

I appreciate any suggestions!
Old 04-27-2002, 07:08 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Not sure exactly if this will work, but you may get some ideas from it. Get that plushy fabric from a fabric store (they sell to make teddy bears) and get some fiberfill batting and sandwich some filling between 2 layers of the plush or a layer of plush and scrap fabric for the back. You can use ribbon for a handle if you'd like. You gave me a great idea. Loved mine too..... Mine was a pretty pink!! Had a cute white lace handle to slide my hand underneath.... wow, great gift idea...... let me know if this works.... or if I get to it first I'll let you know!!! However at the rate I go on my crafts you'll have it done long before I!!
Old 05-04-2002, 07:21 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Powder Puff

I am sure I have seen replacement puffs of varying sizes sold at my local discount stores-like Walmart- in the cosmetics department. Check it out to see if they might have have one for you. They were not terribly expensive as I recall since they were a generic/no name brand. Good luck!
Old 05-05-2002, 12:23 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

thanks for the ideas

Thank you both for the ideas! If I can figure out how to make these inexpensively, they can be personalized for gifts as well as making my own. I avoid stores whenever possible because I have a tendency to spend money of which I have very little, but I have not seen any puffs by themselves in Wal-Mart or "dollar stores". Wal-Mart does carry puffs and powder, but I don't really like the powder, and I am too cheap to throw it away once I buy it.

I'm open to any and all ideas!

Thanks again!
Old 05-06-2002, 01:05 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

POWDER PUFFS...
my mom's puffs were all made of a velvet-like material. see if you can find a scrap of cotton velvet, and make one with a little bit of batting or polyester filling.

Old 05-20-2002, 12:52 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

My mom used to make us powder puff gloves when we were small. She would trace around her hand in a mitten shape. She cut out two pieces of regular cotton or polyester fabric (in pastels for us) and one layer of flannel material in a coordinating color or pattern. She sandwiched the fabric together as cotton, cotton, flannel and sewed them on the outside edge, leaving the wrist part open. Then she put powder between the layer created by the flannel & the cotton, and sewed elastic around the wrist area. She added lace at the bottom edge, and packaged it in a box with tissue paper.

She also made wash mittens for us in a similar format by using terry cloth material or old towels that had worn spots in them. Great way to reuse old towels!

Charlene, mother to five

When God closes a door, somewhere he opens a window.
Old 05-20-2002, 02:44 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

chuckle

what a great idea!!!

thanks!
Old 06-10-2002, 09:08 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Lightbulb RicaBFH

I just saw powder puffs @ Walgreen's...various sizes.