Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Crafty Corner If you are creative, love to knit or crochet, paint, or just enjoy making fun stuff with your kids, this is the forum for you.

Old 11-02-2002, 09:44 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

ok here is one

Take a small liter coke bottle (20) and cut the bottom off. Looks like a flower hun...pour color glue inside you can take serveral and make a bunch of flowers or I have even taken the glue out of the bottom onces dry and glue it on paper for a nice picture of flowers simple art for kids (tho I would sand the rough edges of the bottom of the bottle if used
Old 11-03-2002, 02:54 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

LAMW - Here's one that you might like. Just passed it on to my DS preschool. Use the AOL cd's, you know the ones that they send everyone in the mail or the ones that you can grab from the groc. store. Well, glue two together - plain shiney side out. Cut a photo or any picture you want and glue/double sided tape to the cd/s and you have a picture frame. Using a salt dough to create a base to stick the cd's into to hold them up.
Hope this helps.
Old 11-05-2002, 02:29 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

chuckle end of the month

Secamom: Hi there, and good morning to all: The end of the month is busy for me preparing for the first of the month. I have to prepare 2 theme boards, put out a newsletter and activities calendar to be put in all the resident's rooms so I have not posted in a few days. I do need further instructions for the bear jars. I also saw something on the Carol Duvall show yesterday using cd's. It was a neat idea. Another idea I like is using cd's for miniature villages. The cd is used as a frozen pond effect. Put miniature trees around it and skaters on it if you have them. Gorgeous!
Our Halloween party was a big hit. The face painting was so popular there was a long line until a guest helped me. We threw out the stencils and started drawing free hand. The fog machine worked great and set off the fire alarm. The co. said we could turn it off temporarily next time. Had to open up all the windows in the activity room. Fog was drifting down the halls. The kids thought it as a hoot. Everything is a learning experience isn't it? Next year I know that I will need more help. The apple bobbing and costume contest went good too.
Went to my dd's in Texas this week-end and caught horrible weather on the way back, like something out of an alien movie. DH thinks it was a temperature inversion. Saw 6 wrecks in one hour. Told my guardian angel that I hoped he was working over time. LOL About a block from home I was thanking God out loud for a safe return, and dh said" we're not home yet" and I said " unless you hit the mailbox or the back wall of the carport, we should be safe".
And on that note I will close for now. God bless you all.
Old 11-12-2002, 03:07 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Pinkie Winky lightbulb ornament

Good morning to all:

I just completed the lightbulb ornament. It was more involved than I had anticipated. The tacky glue does not work well with this, or maybe it's because our humidity is so high. Had to use a hot glue gun. Decoupaged victorian tissue paper on the bulb, trimmed with pearls, sponged on gold over the decoupage. It is beautiful, but my residents at the nursing home would only be able to paint and decoupage since I don't let them use the glue gun. They did complete their christmas gifts and they are so proud.

Now I am ready for them to start making their own christmas cards to mail out. I think I will make my own stencils (using used x-ray film from our local hospital, all you have to do is ask for it.) Also can ask for the nice white thick poster type board that is in between the film. The xray film is really nice and thick. I use sharpie pens to trace what I want . Just need to give it a little time to dry so it doesn't smear. Some times I use an exacto knife and some times I use scissors to cut out the stencil, just depends on the size of the stencil.

No one is posting lately. What have you all been doing? Let me know so I can keep using the ideas. Miss you guys! Peace
Old 11-12-2002, 04:18 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Xray film and poster board

Thanks for the tip on xray film and poster board cajungirl. I will have to check that out. Your light bulb sounds really nice. I have been working on a card made from decorative boutique tissue boxes. Cut the sides in two pieces so they look like a folded greeting card. Cut the top with the hole off, glue a picture or message to the wrong side and glue top to front of card. Trim around outer edge of square with hole and decorate inside with colorful paper, clipart and verse. You have a nice sturdy greeting card.

Sue L.
Old 11-12-2002, 05:59 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Question juice can footstools

Does anyone know how to make upholstered footstools out of juice cans? My grandmother had one and my mother has been looking for the pattern. Thanks for the help.

Have a Blessed Day
Old 11-12-2002, 06:21 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Wow! You ladies are amazing...just tumbled onto this thread...I will be checking it out all the time now! I can't believe a footstool out of juice cans? I am waiting to hear about that, sounds interesting.

Keep it up you crafty ladies!

janet
Old 11-22-2002, 07:49 PM

Hi, I used to work in a nursing home too. Our residents enjoyed making tree decorations from stryofoam meat trays. Just trace the design on the meat tray using cookie cutters & cut out with a craft knife( the residents may not be allowed to do this, so you could do it ahead of time) Then take glue & spread on the shape & put glitter on them. We used to put their name & the year on the back & let them hang them on the tree. You could use ribbons or just about anything to decorate them with. Hope this helps. I also do this with my grandkids too to keep them occupied.
Old 11-22-2002, 07:57 PM

Hi jlh156,
A friend of mine made these out of coffee cans. She taped the cans together to make a circle. Then she stacked another cirlce of cans on top & taped them to hold them together & then taped some foam rubber around that to pad it, then covered it with material. I'm not sure if she cut a pattern from the material or if she just wrapped it around it & whip stitched the ends. Hope this is what you are looking for.

Last edited by Minny; 11-22-2002 at 08:01 PM.
Old 11-23-2002, 04:55 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

C/D's

I love all the ideas for the crafts. Another thing I do with the c/d's, is I crochet over the top of them and make coasters. They are great for the larger glasses, as well as the normal size. It is also a great way to use up the left over yarns.

One day when my grandson was here, we made a "mobile" for his room. We glued 2 c/d's together (Shiny sides out) then used yarn, knotting in between each c/d. His mom hung it in front of the window, and it would pick up the sun light. He was so proud of it.

Lets keep the ideas coming. Cafe