Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Crafty Corner If you are creative, love to knit or crochet, paint, or just enjoy making fun stuff with your kids, this is the forum for you.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 10-10-2002, 01:07 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Lightbulb Make Gel Air Fresheners in your jars

Hi everyone--first want to say I feel like I've finally come "home" now that I have found this forum. Wow!! Talk about some GREAT ideas--thanx all!;-) DH has been grumping about me "needing to do something or get rid of the jars I've got floating around"....so, guess what his next grump will be.....
Anyway, I've found a website recently that has a bunch of neat ideas--it's at www.makestuff.com and it had this "recipe" on it to make Gel Air Fresheners--NOT candles.

1 cup concentrated liquid potpourri (dollar store is great)
2 envelopes Knox unflavored gelatin
2 Tablespoons salt (inhibits moldy growth)

Heat potpourri to almost boil. Remove from heat and stir in Knox gelatin until dissolved. Pour into jar. Cover with plastic wrap and put a rubber band around neck. Can put into refrigerator for fast set or leave out on counter overnight. Cut circle of lace and place over top of jar with ribbon around it. Remove plastic wrap and recover with lace to use.

Note the "recipe" makes 8 ounces of gel--can double for larger jars, but I don't make batches any bigger at a time than that. Also, please be careful to not let it boil--splatters are fun to get off the walls, etc.

These look really pretty in just a plain jar, can't wait to do some painted ones to put it into. I also use "thrift store" find stem glassware, etc for these. HAVE FUN!
Old 10-10-2002, 03:38 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

What a neat idea, thank you!

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 10-10-2002, 06:18 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Wow! What a cool idea. I have a few stemwear pieces that I was going to get rid of after Christmas. I think I will use them for this! Thanks!
Old 10-10-2002, 08:43 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thanks--just want to add....

Thanks for the feedback--I thought they were neat too, I have a few in just plain stemware, but now I'm getting out the paints!! Just want to add a couple of things--one is to mix the salt in at the same time as the Knox. The other is that if you give them as gifts, please let the recepient know that they are not candles--people actually might try to put a wick in and burn them. Also, as with any "chemicals" Keep out of reach of children. Thanks--happy gelling!!!
Old 11-02-2002, 11:19 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Not a jar craft, but goes with this thread...

With a wine glass, you might want to attach a couple wine glass markers to the bottom an additional gift. They're those little decorated hoops that help people identify their glass at parties!

Dawny
Old 11-02-2002, 08:44 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hey pengiemom and Dawny what cute ideas. and what great gifts they would make if you did some painting on the jar or put the little wine glass jewels on them.

when I read the idea I immediatly though it being a quick idea I might be able to get done before I leave this week for Califa and my sister's craft sale. Then I remembered that because she is so allergic to many perfumes type smells I wouldn't be able to have them there but I do think I will try to make some when I get back.

btw pengiemom glad to have you join our family. It's a great place.

A friend is one to whom one may pour out all the contents of one's heart, chaff and grain together, knowing that gentle hands will take and sift it, keep what is worth keeping and, with a breath of kindness, blow the rest away.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:38 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I like this idea so much I fiqured it would be a shame to let this thread just die. Has anyone else tried this or anything similar?

Last edited by Candy; 03-10-2008 at 09:40 PM.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:38 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Great idea of revising this thread, Candy!

I haven't tried making these but with craft shows coming up and school bazaars, these would make nice, not-too-costly items to sell.

These would also make nice gifts for teachers for the end of the school year or for Moms and Grandmas for Mother's Day!

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!