Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Crafty Corner If you are creative, love to knit or crochet, paint, or just enjoy making fun stuff with your kids, this is the forum for you.

Old 09-20-2002, 08:55 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Question What to do with these jars!

Hi,
When my father passed away I inherited a lot of Bell jars that have the glass lids and wires that close them. Some of the jars I have kept for display (blue ones) and some I have used to store things in. I have even made mixes and gave some away.
Now, what do I do with the rest? I would love to find a craft idea or gift giving idea to use them for.
Thanks.
Old 10-07-2002, 12:17 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Question bell jars

Hi Pammiejo

I would like to help but I don't know what bell jars are. Are the shaped like a bell? Inquiry minds want to know.
Old 10-07-2002, 02:52 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Bell is a brand of canning jars.

I have made nice Jar Mixes, placed nice labels on them and added a tag with instructions. You then place some nice fabric over the lid and tie with ribbon. (There are Jar Mix Recipes in the Recipe Exchange).

I have also made a Survival Kit using these jars for a Mom in the Kitchen kit and another kit that I can't think of right this second.
Old 10-07-2002, 05:07 AM

Question "Ball" canning jars

Are you referring to the brand "Ball" brand canning jars? I think they have been around the longest. I use mine of course for canning preserves but only if they are in good condition, no chips around the mouth rim as this lets bacteria in and can cause them not to seal properly. For Christmas this past year I made a homemade hot chocolate mix, powdered milk, cocoa, powdered coffee cream and sugar put a canning lid with ring to seal and cut out round pieces of holiday pattern cloth from JoAnn Fabrics and tied with a string. You can also add miniature marshmallows. this same theme could be used for cookie mixes, and they look so pretty. Our local grocery store was selling those last year for about $6.00. Hope this helps.

Anna
Old 10-07-2002, 08:28 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I haven't priced any lately, but they are probably just a little valuable since they are pretty old. They will be nice for gifts, but don't just get rid of them. If you have to, put a shelf around the top of you kitchen & line them up there. Fill them up a, few at time, with buttons, spools, beans, peas, even skittles. Or you could pack them carefully & send them to me. (JK)
MKS
John 11v5a
Old 10-10-2002, 11:08 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

chuckle

THE BALL JARS WITH THE GLASS LIDS AND WIRE TO HOLD THE TOPS ON ARE PRETTY OLD. MY HUSBAND COLLECTS BOTTLES AND HAS A FEW, THE ONES I HAVE SEEN IN ANTIQUE STORES RUN 3.00 TO TEN DOLLARS APIECE DEPENDING ON THE CONDITION AND THE COLORS. BUT I ALSO IF YOU CAN'T THINK OF ANYTHING DO DO WITH THEM WOULD TAKE THEM OFF YOUR HANDS YOU COULD JUST PACK THEM UP AND SHIP THEM, TO ME ALSO!!!! ha, ha LIKE YOU WOULD EVER DO THAT BUT IT IS A THOUGHT. I DO LIKE THWE IDEA OF FILLING THEM AND USEING THEM IN THE KITCHEN, YOU COULD ALSO USE NOODLES OR ROCE, BEANS, DIFFERENT COLORED RICE, YOU CAN USE JUST ABOUT ANYTHING TO FILL THEM.
Old 10-11-2002, 07:50 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I also have several of the blue jars with wires ...displayed some at the top space over my cubboards with a few green silk ferns, etc. in between. I also put one on the counter with candy in it. And use one for our unpopped popcorn (we use an air popper) In my bath I have one of the pint size with cotton balls in it. And one with bath salts. Am looking for other ideas myself.....but won't get rid of them.
Old 10-12-2002, 07:14 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Depending on how big they are.... I've seen some really cute Christmas craft made with them. Get the smallest string of small, white Christmas lights you can find. (The smallest I've found is 25.) Place them inside the jar, then fill the jar with pretty potpourri that has been tossed with some potpourri oil. I've found that the darker, more dramatic colored potpourri looks best, like the mulberry (deep purple) but you could use any kind. Fix the lid up somehow, with a piece of appropriate material or lace, depending on how involved you want to get with it, then set the lid on top. It won't screw on because of the cord hanging out the back.

When you plug this in, the heat from the light heats up the potpourri and smells up the whole room. Looks gorgeous too. You can do this with any type of glass holder. I thought, too, although I haven't actually done it, if you could have a hole cut into the bottom of the jar somehow for the cord to go out of it would be even better.

They're great gifts!
Old 10-12-2002, 08:16 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Is that safe? - using the lights on their electrical cord to heat up the pottpourri/oil? It doesn't sound safe.
Old 10-12-2002, 03:11 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Re: "Ball" canning jars

Quote:
Originally posted by OSI
Are you referring to the brand "Ball" brand canning jars? I think they have been around the longest. I use mine of course for canning preserves but only if they are in good condition, no chips around the mouth rim as this lets bacteria in and can cause them not to seal properly. For Christmas this past year I made a homemade hot chocolate mix, powdered milk, cocoa, powdered coffee cream and sugar put a canning lid with ring to seal and cut out round pieces of holiday pattern cloth from JoAnn Fabrics and tied with a string. You can also add miniature marshmallows. this same theme could be used for cookie mixes, and they look so pretty. Our local grocery store was selling those last year for about $6.00. Hope this helps.

Anna
Great gift idea! Could you let us know the exact porportions of the ingredients? Thanks.