Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Crafty Corner If you are creative, love to knit or crochet, paint, or just enjoy making fun stuff with your kids, this is the forum for you.

Old 09-17-2002, 11:51 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Working with another artist

Those of you who know me know that I love to paint and create patterns from my head. However, I HATE repetition. I am not one who enjoys making the same design over and over again. That's why I have been pondering selling my patterns instead of selling my completed work.

Well, a friend of mine is also a painter, and a very good one at that. However, she uses patterns for everything she does and is not able to come up with ideas of her own. Also, she enjoys the repetition of painting the same designs again and again for customers.

She would like to start selling on the Internet, but we've discussed how you cannot use pattern books and other patterns to mass produce and sell as it is a violation of copyrights.

So we have decided to work together. I create patterns, she paints them. We will be working out a way to split the revenue fairly. Here's the breakdown of the workload:

ME
----
create patterns
provide and maintain website, cart, exposure, etc
take pics with digital camera of completed work

HER
------
provide supplies (paint etc)
paint the designs on whatever material she decides (wood, fabric, etc)

I will provide the option to purchase the completed project or just the pattern on my website. I will get most of the revenue if someone buys the pattern, but because she is painting the completed project of which i will provide the photo with the pattern, I will give her a small percentage of those pattern sales.

If we sell the completed project, she will obviously get a much larger revenue.

This is where i need suggestions. How much for the split? A straight 50/50? 60/40? What? Any suggestions will be MOST appreciated!!

I'm also attaching an example of what she's done with one of my patterns. I drew this last week and she took it and painted it onto a pillowcase, I think it came out great!
Attached Images

Old 09-17-2002, 12:42 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Amanda

What a super solution the 2 of you came up with.! I can see it being successful.

As far as splitting the monies - I think it looks like you have split your contirbutions pretty evenly - therefore I would go with a split of close to 50/50. If you feel one or the other is giving more of their craft than the other then you might change it to 55/45 but I don't think I would change it much more than that. The on;y reason I can see the need for one to recieve more would be if they have a greater costs - supplies, materials to mail, advertising, etc. After you have been working together for a while you may find that you feel the need to adjust the split in someway.

I hope the two of you find working together to be mutially satisfing. Good luck and God Bless you new adventure.

BTW I am glad you are thinking of selling your patterns.

A friend is one to whom one may pour out all the contents of one's heart, chaff and grain together, knowing that gentle hands will take and sift it, keep what is worth keeping and, with a breath of kindness, blow the rest away.
Old 09-17-2002, 02:21 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Thanks for your response Sandy! What do you think I should give her as a "royalty" if I sell the patterns? I'm thinking I will probably snail mail the patterns with a photo of the finished project, which of course she will be painting. But she only has to paint it once, so I don't want to give away too much since I'll be doing the photocopying, mailing, paying postage, etc. Maybe 5%??