Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Crafty Corner If you are creative, love to knit or crochet, paint, or just enjoy making fun stuff with your kids, this is the forum for you.

Old 08-20-2002, 08:29 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

?? Blue Jean cuttings ??

I have just finished altering/hemming six pair of jeans for granddaughters who are heading back to school. I can't make myself throw out the leftovers, but am at a loss as to what to do with the scraps (their mothers are responsible for mending holes).

Some of the pants needed 5" cut off. Two pair were cut down into walking shorts. And all the pieces are of varying colors.

Anyone have any ideas? I am not overly crafty but able to handle a sewing machine fairly well. My machine does only basic straight and zig-zag stitches and unfortunately, I do not own a serger.

Sandie
Old 08-20-2002, 09:51 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

How about making bandana's for any girls in that age range? Basically a triangle hemmed with ties attached of ribbon, they have some cool coloured wide ribbons they use too!! You can piece some of the colours together if you don't have enough of one colour. You could also do small tote purses in a variety of ways...drawstring opening is an easy one to do. My first sewing project was a denim pencil case. You could zig zag names on them. Or make up bags. Just a few ideas.
Old 08-22-2002, 08:19 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

If there is enough you could make a reallu cute throw out of them. Do it like a crazy quilt. You could top stitch with different colors of thread. Use a fun print cotton or flannel on the back - you could even use that new plush fabric that doesn't fray. If you do that you could sew them with wrong sides together - stitch about 3-4 inches from the edge - then cut it edge of the fabric to within 1/2 to 3/4 inches from the stitching. that makes fringeyou could tie the fronnt and the back together or just let the fringe hang as it is. I saw a really cute one on display at the store the other day donr this way. I would be so easy to do.

Let us know what you finally do with you fabric.

A friend is one to whom one may pour out all the contents of one's heart, chaff and grain together, knowing that gentle hands will take and sift it, keep what is worth keeping and, with a breath of kindness, blow the rest away.
Old 08-23-2002, 06:03 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

You could make the bags to hold all the plastic grocery bags in. A friend of mine makes them ans the are sweet.
Sew one end shut sew a tight elastic or a drawstring on the other end. There is the basic bag, to decorate it use imagination. I've seen dolls head's put on the sewn together end arms sewn onlittle feet added, same idea for teddy bears, cows, ect. the bags stuff the body and you can still apen one end to add more/use some of them.
Another nice one was one done as a flower vase for artificial flowers. She had sewn another small pocket on the back to hold the stems
Old 08-23-2002, 07:39 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Lightbulb

When I cut 4" off of my DD's jeans...they had embroidery on the bottom.....I used the pieces to make a kewl denim choker for her.
Just cut enough to fit halfway around her neck...about 2" wide.
Frayed the edges and sewed 3 strips of material to each end. Braided these, to be used for tying it on, and ...she loves it.
Had a woman at walmart ask me where i got it, she wanted one...!;-)

Old 08-23-2002, 07:50 PM
kellyandkids

So much to do, so little time

I'm quilting with mine. Blue denim will eventually be washable covers for my chairs and couches if the kids don't knock all of the springs loose first. Those buggers are hard to get back in place.

Go 9" x 9" or it will be to busy with the overlap look. Make a trial piece and wash it; do you like that look washed or not? Pockets look cute as do the strange crossings of other seams.

The colored pieces will make a more formal bed spread. So many memories in those patterns. I am trying 6"x6"

Hint given to me: Don't do more thant a layer of denim and a layer of backing or it will take forever to dry when washed and be heavy.

And I have made covers for those cheap stools with the vinyl seats that your bottom sticks to in the summer and scratch you when it cracks.

And potholders and canvas bags and camping organizers...

A friend's child gave a demo on things to do with holey jeans. If they fit the waste but to short in the rise, they became skirts with new fabric bottoms. Great for little girls.

Ask for denim scraps or old pants and go to town - provided you have a rotary cutter.
Old 08-23-2002, 07:52 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I have this really cute wall decoration made out of jeans. It's just a pocket of sorts that has been sewn out of leftover denim and then it has flowers sticking out of it, raffia to hang it with and a little curvy sign that says "welcome" on it made of a thick flexable foam that has been painted. I bought it at a craft fair. It's really nice.....doesn't look like a "cheesy" type of craft.
Old 08-23-2002, 08:27 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I saw some neat potholders at a craft fair made from denim. They were cut in the shape of a back pocket, had a bright, decorative piece of fabric as the edging and on the back, and had kind of a decorative V shape sewn into it to bind the batting. These were really cute. If you have enough denim you could use up your scraps and take care of some Christmas presents all in one!
Old 08-24-2002, 04:04 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hello:

Headbands
Hairbows
Belt
Small denim purse
Wrapping for small Christmas Presents
Old 08-24-2002, 05:08 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

just a thought but-
what about sewing up one side then fixing the other side up with a zipper for a change purse, or use it to carry or keep something inside your purse, diaperbag or whatever..