Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Crafty Corner If you are creative, love to knit or crochet, paint, or just enjoy making fun stuff with your kids, this is the forum for you.

Old 11-24-2002, 11:26 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

jean ideas

I made a jean quilt for my bed by using old jeans cut into 5 inch squares. I used flannel for the backing with a thin layer of batting in the middle. I t is so warm that my daughter borrowed it for a winter cub camp. It ended up being -40F. and everyone froze except my daughter. She was rolled up in it and sweating. Now I am making one for her for Chistmas so I can have mine back. I also make throwing dummies for my dogs by sewing a 12 inch square in half and stuffing with old scrap material. If it gets dirty just throw it in the wash. The dogs love it.
Old 11-24-2002, 11:34 AM
Nine Year Member

thezoo..... That is such a good idea. When I think of all the jeans my son has thrown out. That will be something she will always treasure. At least it is strong & warm.
Old 11-24-2002, 04:39 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

TheZoo, Hi I make bluejean comforters too! I started making them in 1985, with a church group...we made comforters for people that maybe lost their home to fire or we even took orders for them and used the money for buying things for the church. I was the youngest person there and I learned so much from the older ladies, Now I am the older lady! lol Life has come full circle!

Take Care,

janet
Old 05-02-2003, 12:08 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

another Idea

My daughter needed something to keep all of her beenie babies in. So we are going to few books with 4 to a page using jean pockets. It looks cute.
Old 05-02-2003, 12:15 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Baby Gift

I forgot that I made a baby book out of old jeans. It used the zipper to make one page and when you unzipped it there was a picture of Mom. Another page used Button Down style Jeans and there was a picture of Dad. Other ones used pockets where animals, toys and rattles came out attached to a ribbon sewn into the pocket. My kids loved it.
Old 05-02-2003, 12:29 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

One for a dog and one for a cat

I use the jeans to make throwing dummies for dogs. Make it tube shape and stuff with old clothing scraps. The dogs love it and they can't tear it apart. Use it on all dogs but we used it to teach dogs to retrieve for duck hunting. Another thing is when your cats start using you furniture for scratching posts make a mouse shape and as well as stuffing it with old material put in a little catnip. Pin it to the furniture being scratched. When they get use to scratching at it throw it one the floor. They will go to it instead. It worked when I made one for a friend's cat and it now leaves the furniture alone except to lie on.
Old 05-22-2003, 09:42 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Lightbulb Its all in your "Jeans"

This is a bit off of the original question I know, but I have a cute idea for jeans that cant be used for shorts, you know........the ones that wear out too high in the thigh and rip? usually your very favorite well worn pair :-(
but anyway, cut them straight across below the back pockets and then sew the bottom with a serger or a zig-zag. Use some or the left-over fabric to make a shoulder strap and a draw string to put through the belt loops, the double stitched side leg seam makes a good draw string. This makes a really cute and sturdy purse/bag. Obviously you can make many sizes depending on what size jeans you use and your imagination will run wild with decorating them or just use them as is. I had one of these as a teenager and loved it!
Old 11-26-2004, 08:54 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Blue jean cuttings are a passion of mine! I have made blue jean quilts, added family pictures to them to make a memory quilt, I have made purses, not the cut off the leg type, but pieced together kind, book bags, duffle bags, wallets, tv remote holders that sit over the arm of your chair or couch, change purses, pencil holders, pot holders, over the car seat holders, so the kids can keep their traveling things organized, I have even made woven rugs .oh the many things you can do with denim scraps!! Never throw them away!!! you can even stitch them together for durable place mats for the kids to use and make matching cloth napkins out of the thinner denim jeans. Or, if you arent a "sewer" you could even use the scraps for scrubbing cloths or dusting cloths ( im too attatched to my denim to do that ) They are such a creative medium, and im hooked.
Old 11-27-2004, 04:38 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Paintingnut, You have alot of wonderful ideas for blue jean cuttings..the rugs you make are they braided or made on a loom?

Any pictures to share?

janet
Old 11-27-2004, 10:08 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I have a rug in my little boys room, as soon as he has his room clean.. LOL I will snap a picture of it and post it so you can see.

Last edited by paintingnut; 11-27-2004 at 10:10 AM.