Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Crafty Corner If you are creative, love to knit or crochet, paint, or just enjoy making fun stuff with your kids, this is the forum for you.

Old 07-16-2002, 06:52 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

orris root for crafts

I am trying to find orris root. I am having a hard time. It is used in a dried apple wreath that I want to make. It is also used in potpourri. Please help!!!!
Old 07-20-2002, 07:57 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Orris Root

This sounds like arrowroot powder, I think it is sometimes called 'orris' root. I used this in making natural beauty supplies and found it at the health food store. It was in a big bin and they sold it to me by the pound, pretty cheap.
If you are not able to get it that way, a possibe substitute would be cornstarch, they are similar in makeup/consistency.
And as showers on the grass."
Deuteronomy 32:2

Old 07-20-2002, 08:56 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

You can purchase Orris Root and Orris Root Powder from a place called San Francisco Herb company. You can order online. They have tons of suppllies for making potpourri. I use them all the time. Things are purchased in bulk...and you can get small amounts.

Good luck and happy potpourri~ing !!

http://www.sfherb.com
Old 07-20-2002, 09:11 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

check in the spice section at your local grocer or walmart. It's not in large quanities but it might be the amount you need. hope this helps!
wild in tex
Old 07-20-2002, 06:20 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Please tell us about what you're making!
Old 07-20-2002, 07:25 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

My project with orris root

Hi Everybody! Thank you so much for your great ideas. I broke my leg 10 weeks ago, so I'm now at home trying out all the craft projects I have put off. This one is a Scented Apple Wreath. You slice your apples and dust them with cinnamon, allspice, cloves, and orris root powder. The orris root is supposed to help the smell linger a lot longer. Next you dry the apples in oven, microwave, or dehydrator. Then string them on a wire shape. Mine will be a heart. You can embellish with cinnamon sticks, ribbon. Just use your imagination. I have just about given up on the orris root, and started mine without it. Thanks for the great response. This is the first forum that I have ever joined.
Old 07-20-2002, 07:27 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

apple wreath

Oh yeah I got this project off of this site. I am sorry I am not very good at this. I just remember it was at Family Corner. Crafting for autumn.
Old 07-20-2002, 08:07 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Oh, that sounds lovely! I get really inspired around holidays, but not much around the rest of the year. Since you said you got the idea off this site I am going to go browsing next time I get a chance
And as showers on the grass."
Deuteronomy 32:2

Old 07-21-2002, 04:23 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thank you for asking this question and all those who answered....I have been looking for oris root and wondering where to get it for a long time. shari
Old 07-21-2002, 04:59 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Thanks for the instructions. I know someone in the craft business who makes them, but would never tell me how to make them smell so good!