Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Crafty Corner If you are creative, love to knit or crochet, paint, or just enjoy making fun stuff with your kids, this is the forum for you.

Old 09-22-2002, 08:54 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Tami--Thanks for the kind comments! Supposedly the soaps can be used from the "bottom up", and from what I have heard from others that have done a lot more painting than me, the candle can be burned also. Hopefully, I can get lots of things painted for a November craft show now. I am not sure how to price things yet, though. Thanks a bunch for looking at my album!
Old 09-23-2002, 07:22 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thanks

Thank you for the compliments, 64squares. I checked out your photos, great job on the painting. Loved the piggys! And, yes I do all my own cutting as well. I bought myself a scroll saw and tought myself how to use it, now it's a sinch! Just have to watch out for my fingers .... LOL. I have also done a set of "Blues Clues" you must have heard of Blue right? And Hello Kitty? Anyway, have a great day and God bless
Lanaya
Old 09-23-2002, 07:47 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Lanaya--thanks for the compliments! I am sure cutting the wood yourself saves money and gives you more versatility. Did you come up with the wood patterns for the Bratz, Blue's Clues and Hello Kitty on your own? I would love to see pics of the Blue's Clues and Hello Kitty--I have heard of both of them. Would I be able to find any pics of them in your ebay completed auctions, by any chance? Have a great day!
Old 04-21-2004, 09:54 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Wow 64Squares

WOW 64Squares.

WOW WOW WOW. You did a beautiful job. Great talent. Did it take a long time? Seams when I paint on a vase, it looks like a 4yr. old did it. Any suggestions for a beginner?

Thanks for the pic. BEAUTIFUL

A NEW FRIEND SANDY
Old 04-22-2004, 07:25 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

blushing Thanks!

Sandy--I was sure surprised to find there was a new post in this thread--it's been so long that I had forgotten all about it! LOL

So-o-o-o, if you have just been to my Picturetrail, you saw a lot more painting than when the last message was posted on this thread back in 2002!

I started teaching myself One Stroke back in August of 2002. I am totally self-taught. I have 4 children (5 1/2 yrs. old down to 2 1/2 monts old), homeschool the eldest, tutor math in my home occasionally on the side, am very involved in church, etc., so have quite a busy schedule. As a result, there are lots of times that I only get to paint once every 1 to even 3 months!! I love it when I do it, though.

I may pick it up a bit easier than some from what people tell me, but it still takes a lot of practice. It is never as easy as Donna Dewberry makes it look! Probably because she has been doing it so long!

Is there anything in particular you are having trouble with? A certain flower or leaf? Let me know, and I will try to give you some tips. Are you teaching yourself or taking lessons?

{email address deleted by moderator. Please don't post email addresses in the forums. This is to protect YOUR privacy!}
Send a couple small file pics of what you have tried, if you are able, as that would REALLY help me with giving you tips on what to do differently!

Rebecca
Pics of painting at: http://www.picturetrail.com/southdepot/

Last edited by barbszy; 01-16-2009 at 07:33 AM.
Old 02-02-2006, 08:51 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Newbie here

Hello group..

Im another newbie scared to start I think more scared to find out I cant do this one stroke but..want to so very much..

few questions If I may

first how do you find the online magazine
called Strokingedge?

second just how helpful are the tapes..I signed up for 2 classes at the Michaels store and the certified teacher never showed up makin me wonder if this is for me..

can you get the feel of what and how to hold the brush in a tape ??? is there a beginners tape perhaps?

soo glad I found this site

Pat in upstate NY

thanks
Old 02-02-2006, 10:38 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I tried posting this huge long post, but don't know if it went through!

Anyway, I think most people can learn OS, but like anything, it takes time and practice. It is easier with someone to teach you and show you the strokes, put their hand over yours and let you feel how much pressure each part of the stroke takes, etc.

The Stroking Edge online magazine can be found at http://www.thestrokingedge.com . I can't give you an opinion as I have never subscribed myself. I have heard of others that liked it though.

I taught myself using books and videos, so it can be done. A good first video is the Brush Stroke Basics Video and maybe even then the One Stroke Technique Guide video. I also have a One Stroke video library (5 videos in a slipcase) that is good to teach you a lot more. The videos are the next best thing to a live teacher, as they show you a lot of things, and then you can go to the books and try on your own once you learn some of the basic strokes and techniques.

Some of the keys to success are to use Folk Art brand paint (thicker and works better with the blending techniques); use a damp, but not wet brush; get an even blend of the 2 colors on the brush before painting; clean brushes well after each session; practice, practice, practice!!

Where in upstate NY are you? I am in the Binghamton, NY area. I have helped a couple of friends start painting OS, and it does help if you have a live person with some OS experience to get you started.

Feel free to ask if you have any more questions. I can't promise my replies will be too quick as I am stay at home mom to our 4 children, 7 1/2 yrs. down to 2 years, homeschool the 2 eldest, and am 5 months along with twins!
Old 02-02-2006, 11:52 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Hi, I can't do the os but then again I am unwilling to put the practice in. I was doing roses and thought I was getting prety good though. I do agree that practice practice and practice is the key along with thick paint. I tried using my Americana paints and quickly found out it was a lot better practices with the correct paint. The fact that I have been painting in my own style for 35 years is probably what is giving me the most resistant. I want to do the one stroke some day as it is much faster than painting a more traditional way. Faster and nice = more projects to sell!LOL I did however use a plastic smooth cutting board so I could just wipe it off and keep practicing ...then I went to canvas paper so I could safe my practice to see if I was improving. My DIL does it and very well I might add. She had never painted a day in her life before OS which I think helped her.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:11 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Question OS Painter Starting a Biz

Hello Ladies,

I am new to this forum and I would like to say hello to everyone. My hobbies are painting, writing and playing with my boys. Jeremy 8, Jordan 2. I am interested in OS painting. I started back in 96 but never had the courage to turn it into a business. I have been practicing on and off over the years and I have gotten really good at it. However, I am starting to get people asking me to paint furniture for them as well as their walls. I hope to get more work out of this as I am not charging them a lot for the work I am doing. My question is how do I go about going to fairs and getting the word out that I paint. So far I have the word of mouth going with friends and therapists that see my son but other than that I need to know if I should do flyers, biz cards. etc...
Old 05-18-2006, 05:14 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

shai, I think word of mouth is great but business cards and a schedule of aprox prices is a must. Fairs and / or shows gets the word out to a lot of different people but more importantly will give you a clear picture of what is selling and what is not and of the price scale. I wish you luck and thanks for posting.