Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Crafty Corner If you are creative, love to knit or crochet, paint, or just enjoy making fun stuff with your kids, this is the forum for you.

Old 08-11-2002, 10:58 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Kimmyo, gardngal, and Amanda--thanks so much! Glad you all like it. I thought it would be neat to paint on a mirror! Now I just need to try it with enamel paints or something else for painting on glass so that I won't have to worry about a sealant next time. I also need to go snatch up more of those mirrors before they are gone!

Marcia--Yes, things at the Dollar Store look different after you start painting! Suddenly you see all these paintable surfaces! I just picked up a oval metal waste basket there to try sometime, too.

The pattern I used for the mirror is similar to one that was in Donna's Complete Book of One Stroke Painting. She had done it on a memory album cover. Mine of course, is a little different b/c I didn't use the EXACT pattern. I will enjoy the day that I get the confidence to just go for it without looking at any pattern (actually that is what I did with my vase that I posted first.) I think before I can be comfortable doing that I will have to practice the flowers more first so that I can do them "in my sleep."

Ashes--That has happened to me before too where the picture has not shown up. There are 2 things you can try--try right clicking on the box with the x, and click on "show picture" or the other thing would be to try refreshing the page. If the picture still does not show up, hopefully it will when you come back to visit again! (I have had that happen with me, and the "show picture" and refreshing the page did not work, but the picture finally showed up for me like normal on a subsequent visit.) I know you have been here twice trying to see it--maybe it will work the 3rd visit! That can be frustrating!
Old 08-11-2002, 12:38 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

If I were to put a price on a mirror like that to sell at a craft fair or somewhere, do you think I could put $15 on that also? (Some people had thought $15 would be a fair price for the vase I had posted earlier.)

I have never been to a craft fair to sell, but have always wanted to. Maybe I can paint a variety of things, and take them along with some items that I have rubber stamped, as well as other craft items. I think it would be fun!!
Old 08-23-2002, 07:57 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Another mirror!

OK, I have now finished my 3rd One Stroke project--it is a birdhouse mirror, some of the design is a bit like the birdhouse mailbox from Donna's "Complete Book of One Stroke Painting" (I think that's what it is called. I made up my own butterflies b/c I did not have a worksheet for them.

The rosebud mirror I had done and posted earlier I had sealed with a spray sealer, and then clean off the overspray from outside the design area. I did not like how the spray made the mirror look "fuzzy" in the design area.

This mirror I used vinegar to wipe it down before painting, painted the design with my Folk Art acrylic paints, let it dry completely, and then brushed on a different kind of sealer I bought to try. The sealer is: Delta CeramDecor Air-Dry Perm Enamel Clear Gloss Glaze Step 3 (for tile, glass and ceramic). They say to brush it on fairly generously to avoid brush strokes. I did 2 coats just in the design area, waiting an hour or so between coats. You can still see where it has been sealed, but it is more clear and glossy than the other sealer I tried. Overall, when you are just looking at the design as the mirror hangs on the wall, it is not that noticeable. You are supposed to wait 10 days before washing. I gave the mirror to my brother and his wife for their anniversary, and told my sister-in-law to let me know how it holds up when cleaned.

Any ideas on how much I should ask for something like this birdhouse mirror at a craft show?

Well, I think I am now addicted to One Stroke. I have had a lot of fun so far, and everything I see it seems I think, "I could paint on that!"
Attached Images

Old 08-23-2002, 07:58 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Here is a close up of the birdhouses!
Attached Images

Old 08-23-2002, 09:47 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Jar Crafts

Hi 64 Squares! I think you're mirror is beautiful! I think $15 is too cheap, but I suppose you can test the waters and see what other people think. If they think it's a good deal, I'm sure that they will snatch it right up. I looked for that book in Hobby Lobby and didn't see it. Where did you say you got yours? I guess I'll have to look around more. Living in a small town means I have to go out of town for everything, so I have to do my looking around when I have the time. Keep up the good work! Diane
Old 08-23-2002, 12:31 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Diane--Glad you liked the mirror! So, you think I might be able to get more than $15? What do you think would be a fair price that people would still buy them at? By the way, the mirror just has a cardboard type backing and THIS one measures about 8 inches by 10 inches. (They are not really large mirrors, just so you know, since size can affect price.) I do have a larger size also that is about 10 inches by 12 inches.

I have to do all my shopping out of town too. I got my copy of the book off of ebay. I think ACMoore craft store carries it if you have one near you. We don't have Hobby Lobby's here in upstate NY that I know of. The book costs roughly $20-25 or so, unless you can find it somewhere cheaper. It would be nice to get at one of the craft stores that have 40% off coupons! I don't know if Joann Fabrics carries it or not. I did just find it at Barnes and Noble bookstores online. Here is the link, that way you can at least see what it looks like and have a price comparison! . . .
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo...rid=52SDFMG03D

The full title is Donna Dewberry's Complete Book of One-Stroke Painting. Hope you find it! Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with! Have you painted at all yet? I am just starting out, and it's lots of fun!
Old 08-23-2002, 12:35 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Diane--Michael's also carries it. Here is their online link, although it does cost $23.99 there and was currently out of stock. . .
http://www.michaels.com/art/online/D...prrfnbr=196249
Old 08-23-2002, 02:32 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

one stroke painting

Hi 64 Squares! Too bad you don't have a nice wooden frame for you mirror...maybe you could ask more money. I guess I didn't realize what it was like..still your time on the project is worth something. I guess you can start with $15 and see what kind of response you get. I've never done the craft show thing, other than going to one once in a while. There will be a lot of them this fall. If I remember, I'll try to see what similar objects are bringing in this neck of the woods and let you know. Thanks for the info on the book. I'll try to get one, sounds like fun. I've just done a little painting on jars, inspired by Amanda. I'm not too artistic, but I like to try. Keep us all informed as to how you're doing. It's fun to hear from you. Diane
Old 08-23-2002, 04:07 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Diane--Hope you get the book! I have heard that a lot of the larger craft stores also give classes in the One Stroke technique. There are lots of other books also, some smaller, including one called something like One Stroke Basic Workbook (I don't have it), which would probably be a good one to start with also. They cost $9-$11, I think, and Walmart even carries a few of them! There are ones for nature's critters, garden, small items, holidays, etc. I am just teaching myself from books so far. There are also a few videos out there on the technique.

Thanks for offering to "scope out" similar items at craft fairs in your area! That's really nice of you. I will have to let you know if I get to one, and try selling some of my things. Maybe I should just try for $10-$12 on the smaller mirror and $13-$15 for the larger size. Hopefully, that would be reasonable enough for some to sell. I'll have to let you know if I get the chance to sell.

Yes, I think Amanda has inspired a number of us to paint on jars, and everything else! She does beautiful work and such a variety too!

Well, have fun!!
Old 08-23-2002, 05:17 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi everyone.
Haven't posted in awhile, been working a lot.
Rebecca -- It was good to view your picturetrail album, glad to see you went to the one stroke forum. I get so much info and help with ideas and just about anything. I'm wanting to buy some more books, but my washer broke and it would cost too much to fix so I had to go buy a new one. Then I couldn't stand the thought of it not matching my dryer, so hubby said if I could sell the dryer, then I could get a new one. Well.......a girlfriend at work , her dryer broke this week so she is going to buy mine and now I'll have a new dryer too. So I think I better lay low on the painting supplies for awhile. Your mirror looks great I bet they loved it.
Take care,
Marcia