Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Crafty Corner If you are creative, love to knit or crochet, paint, or just enjoy making fun stuff with your kids, this is the forum for you.

Old 07-23-2002, 05:28 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thanks so much gardngal! I definitely need the luck
And good luck with your painting as well.
Old 07-23-2002, 12:05 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Well, Forgetful75, you've given me hope! I can decorate a cake with a steady had and stay in the lines for design painting, so I guess I'll just have to get brave now and go for it! I don't see myself as a painter at all! But, maybe...

Old 07-25-2002, 02:28 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

chuckle Donna Dewberry

When I saw this subject, I just had to reply. A few years back my husband and I owned a craft supply shop and attended an annual convention here in Chicago. As we walked in, Donna was set up on the corner of the first row of the show, and she was giving mini classes in One Stroke, Well, I've been a crafter for years, and have always wanted, no make that dreamed of being able to tole paint, with absolutely no success. Her technique was so down to basics that I knew this was something I could do. Oh my Lord, was I ever wrong! When I took my place in the mini class I did exactly as I was told, and then it was time to paint. I excitedly picked up the brush, loaded it, blended the colors, and put the brush to work. No matter how hard I tried, I could not maneuver the brush. Donna came over behind me and guided my hand, the strokes were perfect. I copied the strokes, or so I thought, but it still wasn't right. Well, long story short, Donna got so upset with me, and was laughing so hard that she finally had to slap my hand. I have loads of One Strokes products, and oh so many ideas. Maybe I'll pick it up again, you never know what can happen....
MK
Old 08-09-2002, 09:00 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Well, I finally sat down with my One Stroke supplies for the 2nd time ever! The vase in the attached picture is the result.

I guess my advice would be not to be intimidated by thinking it has to be perfect. I would have a tendency to never start a project b/c it would not be perfect. I got this vase at the Dollar Store and it already had a top coat of paint. I told myself, it was only $1 wasted if I ruined it in painting it! Then I started in!

Has anyone sold any of their One Stroke projects? What do you think would be a fair price for something similar to this vase at a craft fair? (once I practice some more and get better, of course!)

If you have been putting off trying--go for it and just play with the paint to try and have fun with it! I know I did!!
Attached Images

Old 08-09-2002, 09:50 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Selling projects

I recently entered one of my mailboxes into the local fair and it won. $75.00 was the prize, which is 75.00 more dollars than I had before. I'm also entering a trash to treasure contest here that requires that you re-use something, so I decided to decorate some things I had around the house. We'll see about that one. I've sold several mailboxes, small pieces of furniture and planters. The mailboxes I've seen on the internet have sold up to $65, but that's not economical around here, so I've sold mine for $20-$30, depending. The small pieces of furniture for $40-60, planters for $10-15. I've also had people bring me things they wanted painted and I've painted those for a much lower price, usually I just charge for the paints I use or buy.

I hope you have as much fun doing the One Stroke as I have! Your vase looks beautiful and you did a great job! Kudos to you!

Ash
Old 08-10-2002, 06:27 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Ashes--Thanks for the ideas on prices and for the "kudos"!! I know I had a lot of fun, and am starting to look around for other things to paint!!

It took me a while to paint the vase, but I think I will get a bit faster the more I have painted. I don't think I will ever get as fast as Donna, though! :p

Mailboxes sound like fun--I have seen some of those on Ebay. I just got a bunch of maybe 5" high tin pails at the Dollar store (the kind that cost at least of few dollars each at a craft store), and figured I would paint them for Christmas gifts to fill with baked goods. I think I will look at garage sales for things to paint, too. I love garage saling and I think I could find a lot to work with.

Do you paint mostly florals or what other things do you paint? I would be interested in seeing pictures if you have a way to post them!
Old 08-10-2002, 08:22 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Pinkie Winky Love to One Stroke

Hi everyone,
Just love to hear about everyone's ideas on OS. If you haven't tried the forum on yahoo yet it is a great place to get ideas and advice on os painting. So I encourage you all to check it out. There's lots of pictures to be seen. Maybe you can even post your own.
My pictures are located at
http:/picturetrail.com/marciad1

The thread is located at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/onestroke_painting/

Hope you have a good time exploring, it sure has helped me improve, although I still have a long way to go. If you visit my pictures please sign the guest book so I know you were there.

Happy Painting.
Marcia

Old 08-10-2002, 08:53 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Marcia--I just went and visited your photo gallery--beautiful work!! How long have you been doing this One Stroke? I have only practiced rosebuds and ivy once for one hour, and then spent 2 hours painting the vase.

You are really great! I especially LOVED the borders and swag--I would like to try something like that sometime. Keep up the good work, and let us know when you post something new in your photo gallery!
Old 08-10-2002, 09:02 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

chuckle

Hi Rebecca,
Thanks for the nice complement's on my paintings. I've been doing one stroke for about 6 weeks now and I just love it. My friends at work have already been making their requests for christmas and I have someone lined up to paint her walls in her home.

I need to get better first and get a little more confident in my work before I hire out. But I think I'm on my way. If you visit the yahoo forum you can see a lot of picture trail albums and see some of the best work out there. I can't wait to get as good as some of those ladies. You get lot's of ideas too and you can print the pictures out to look at late for inspiration.
Anyway thanks for vistiting my pictures and happy painting......
Marcia

Old 08-10-2002, 11:08 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Marcia--Only 6 weeks? I am impressed! Congrats on people wanting you to paint things already--word will spread and then you should be able to have your own little business, I bet! That's wonderful!;-)

I have 3 children 4 yrs and under that keep me pretty busy. The vase I painted from 10:30 pm to 12:30 am!! I haven't really practiced much, but need to! I guess I will have to figure out the best time to practice more regularly.

Do you mind if I print out some of your pictures? I already bookmarked your photo album under my favorites list! Thanks for the inspiration. Sounds like I need to go check out the yahoo forum sometime. Happy painting yourself! :p --Rebecca