Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Crafty Corner If you are creative, love to knit or crochet, paint, or just enjoy making fun stuff with your kids, this is the forum for you.

Old 07-11-2002, 06:48 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Painted Floor Cloths

Hi I am new in here and wondering if any one could help.
I have been laid up with a bad back now for 4 1/2 yrs, waiting for Third Surgery ( I am getting board and nervous waiting for the next surgery, Anyway I seen a show about painted floor cloths,would love to make one. My daughter went out and surprised me by buying regular canvas, gesso, and about 20 bottles of paint. I was wondering do I have to wash or wet the canvas to shrink it before I apply the gesso to it, or can I just start by priming with the gesso.

Any help would be appreciated.

THanks
MaryAnn (AuntMare)
Old 07-13-2002, 04:58 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Aunt Mare: I've painted with oils and acrylics and in the past taught art K-12.
As far as I know the canvas should have been sized.It usually is off the roll. Is it a blond color and has some stiffness it is probibly sized.? In this case leave in the sizing don't wash it. Gesso with 2 light coats. Let it dry according to manufacturers specifications.Draw your patern on it with a non-photo blue pencil or a light blue colored pencil.Go for it and have a ball painting!One carefully painted coat should be enough for the design,usually- take your time painting,enjoy the experience. Let it dry thoroughly- if the paint says 12 hrs. add an extra 8-10 just to be safe check backs of the paint for times. The top needs to be sealed lightly use a clear acrylic fixative or sealer in an spray can found in art supply stores. one coat lightly at least 12-18" away from the painted canvas. This way it's sealed you should be able to clean any spills with a slightly damp sponge.Sounds like fun!
Good Luck! Leslie9220
Old 07-13-2002, 05:05 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Oh AuntMare- One more thing if your not sure of the pattern or don't want to waste canvas you might want to run a 'test'. Run through every thing above - but on a small 8" sq. of canvas then you will pretty much see what you are going to have when done.
I'd like to know how the floor cloth works out!
Leslie9220
Old 07-13-2002, 07:49 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

That sounds so cool! I'm wondering, do you use a floor cloth like a carpet? Wouldn't the paint wear off?

Caroline
Old 07-13-2002, 09:19 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Caroline,
If it's sealed well it helps.Put them in an area with light foot traffic.
Leslie9220
Old 07-17-2002, 09:22 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

floorcloths

I have made many, many floorcloths for a variety of areas, from high traffic kitchens to low traffic library areas. I have made small ones for tiny bathrooms, and large ones for covered decks and dining rooms. They can be decorative but they can also be functional. Make sure to seal it thoroughly with a flexible, non yellowing acrylic sealer. If you want to put it in a high traffic area such as a kitchen, you probably want to apply 8 to 10 coats. That will provide good protection from wear and dirt. It can be cleaned with a damp sponge. Depending on the weight of the canvas, you might need as many as 4 coats of gesso. Also, unless you are going to build a frame to hold it while you paint it, I would recommend that you start small (2 feet by 3 feet works well for many areas). With a bad back a small one that can be worked on at a work bench would be easier as well. What kind of paint did your daughter give you? I am curious to see what you do with the canvas. Floorcloths are a lot of fun.

Before I forget, when finished, the canvas will slide so you might want to put latex rug backing or a skid pad under it. Also, they do better on non carpeted floors.

Have fun! and Good Luck!
Old 01-26-2006, 12:05 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Dinsky
would you follow the same rules for painted cavas placemats do you know?

I have a set of 4 ovals waiting for me to customize to me! I am afraid to try. LOL

I saw on a craft show that you could use vinyl foor covering to paint on the back and make floorcloths. It has been my experience that vinyl will curl up after a while. Anyone have any comments to this?