Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Crafty Corner If you are creative, love to knit or crochet, paint, or just enjoy making fun stuff with your kids, this is the forum for you.

Old 03-25-2010, 02:24 AM
6 yr member
FamilyCorner Addict

How do you reuse shoe boxes?

Shoeboxes are great little organizing solutions. They stack well, come in a variety of sizes, are sturdy and are easy to label. You can reuse them to hold household items such as mail, first-aid materials, CDs, coupons, odd small toys, school and office supplies, photos, socks or as gift boxes.

How have you reused them?

Charlotte
Old 03-25-2010, 02:26 AM
6 yr member
FamilyCorner Addict

In my office instead of buying the new fancy filing boxes. I have used the shoe boxes in the closet to store my files. I use the boot sizes boxes for the legal size papers and larger items. I label them with a strip of masking tape.

Charlotte
Old 03-25-2010, 02:58 AM
Nine Year Member

I save them for school projects since the kids use them at least once a year for an art project or an extra credit creation.

Roberta
Old 04-09-2010, 08:25 PM
Assistant Moderator

I wrap and decorate them for gift boxes (lid and box separate).

I also have a certain size of box (usually my foot size) that I keep for storing as they keep nicely on my craft shelves.

Boys and hubby have huge feet and their shoes usually come in a box with an attached lid they are great for storage and filing, I keep things like xmas tags, stickers and leftover postage stamps in those, in another christmas stuff I collect to make cards, cut outs, ribbons etc, that way they are all together and I know what I"m looking for. Big xmas sticker on the front for easy seeing.

I take the tops off and put them in the boys chest of drawers to keep their sock and jocks separate in there, as I do with mine and dh, keeps the drawers vaguely tidy LOL
If I buy an 8pk of notebooks for shopping lists etc I keep those pads in a box stacked and labelled, along with a box for pens/biros, pencils, sharpeners, erasers sticky tape .... all these come in multi packs so it's easier to label a box with all the different stuff that way the kids can come and get a new biro or pencil for school if need be.

You can cut them to the height you need and pop them in your kitchen drawers with the potato peeler, cork screw, corn holders, twistie ties and bits & bobobs, you can fit 2 sometimes 3 to just tidy up and separate that crap drawer LOL
They get daggy just throw out and start again.

Old 04-10-2010, 04:16 AM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

When my kids were younger, shoe boxes were used for school projects. Seems one was always needed for a diaorama or some kind of project. Now I use them to send care packages to my ds1 at college.

~Mother Theresa

Old 04-10-2010, 05:28 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I used a large shoebox to make a Book Box ( instead of book ends on a shelf, I use one to put my Granddaughters books in. It keeps them all in one place and is perfect for some of the smaller and paper books.

I covered the shoebox with some with paper and let my granddaughter help me decorate it, then we put her books in it. You can put the top on the back and sit it up on its side to show books, or just put the top on it for ease in moving it.

Every time she comes over, she goes straight to the bookshelf that has her own private book box and takes it down and starts looking through it. I add new books weekly. I buy a book or two when I go shopping, I put them in her book box. It is so much fun watching her find the new books, she will pull them out and bring them to me to show me, she says new book and we sit down and read it.
Old 04-10-2010, 07:07 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I use them for shipping out Christmas gifts to family on the east coast. I have used them as gift boxes for my family as well. They are great for organizing my craft supplies. I also use them in the pantry for storing bags of brown sugar, confectioner's sugar, and jell-o and pudding mixes. I can lift the whole box off of the shelf and pick what I want and put it back in. I also have several that DD1 and I have been using to sort and organize all of my photos. Since the girls have been little, I get doubles of my photos and separate them. I started to make photo albums for them, but of course never finished. DD1 and I are trying to work on them a little at a time. That way when they move out, they will each have photo albums to take with them.
Old 04-10-2010, 12:42 PM
Four Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Pinkie Winky How do you reuse shoe boxes?

I like to use them for storing items and put labels on and stack them in a closet. wonderful for lots of small items.

I use them in drawers with out the lids to organize socks, panties, bras etc.

I love to use them for sewing items. Thread, sizzors, extra needles,thimbles etc.
Old 04-10-2010, 03:37 PM
Assistant Moderator

Diaoramas a something my boys have never had to do and I only know what they are through US based forums. Not sure if I'm glad or not we don't have them (not to say that some schools don't, just none of the ones we've ever attended)

Old 04-24-2010, 09:25 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Shoe Boxes? Spice Jar Organizers

I use shoe boxes to organize my spice/herb jars. I labeled the boxes A-G, H-L, etc. I can just pull out a box, find the spice/herb, then slide it back in my cabinet. I have some smaller boxes (like Stride Rite) to fit in the cupboard. When I first started this 20+ years ago, I recall asking Walmart for extra shoe boxes, so I didn't even have to buy shoes first to start the project.