Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Crafty Corner If you are creative, love to knit or crochet, paint, or just enjoy making fun stuff with your kids, this is the forum for you.

Old 07-17-2009, 11:32 AM

Wow! You guys are really rockin with the ideas here today. It's very good to have the office recycling ideas on here too.

When I worked for the Credit Bureau we printed off alot of credit reports that were passed around the office as one person or another verified and updated the info. afterwards they would have gone into the trash but the office manager had us cut them into smaller pieces using the paper cutter and then we used them to write memo info. on and attach to new reports. We had a office shredding company that came in and got our locked trash cans so no worries about confidential info. getting out to the public.

Anna
Old 07-17-2009, 12:09 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I like to use my shredded paper as mulch for my plants. I put the shredded paper down first, wet it then I put the wood mulch on top of it.

Zig
Old 07-17-2009, 03:35 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Lisa, I re-use the lunchmeat containers, too! They're a perfect size to pack lunches in and to store leftovers, too!

I recently used a large applesauce jar (plastic) to pour rice into. Much neater than keeping those bags in the pantry, and they're see-through so I can see what's inside.

We re-use the large coffee containers (34 oz?) to put our food scraps and coffee grinds in. We can put the lids on so the kitchen doesn't get smelly. When we empty them into the compost pile, we rinse them out and use that water to water the outside pots.

Kathy
Old 07-17-2009, 06:31 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Good ideas here! I have acumulated some jars the had pasta & salsa in them. They even say mason on them & have oz or pint markings. Sometimes I use them to measure especially when I need to use two cups measured out ahead of time (mainly rice or instant potatoes.) Or they can be used to store small amounts of ingredients like powdered sugar, etc. Nice to be able to see thru them. We also use printer paper twice. After it has been printed on once & no longer needed, we put it "backwards" into the printer again. You can use old school papers, etc. as long as it is not too bent up.
Old 07-17-2009, 07:07 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I started organizing my herbs today using canning jars and whatever jars I have on hand. I am not done but the cabinet is looking much better. I have bought double and triple herbs. I also made lists of what I have and will tape the list on the inside of the cabinet door.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:53 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

There are lots of great ideas here. I also reuse the lunch meat containers for cheese and leftovers. I've also buried banana peels in my rose garden and got beautiful flowers. I don't drink coffee so forgot about putting the used grounds on the plants. (Dh does drink coffee).

Someone mentioned planting a pineapple top to grow a plant. It is hot in central CA for several months out of the year but we do get a few cold months with ice in the winter sometimes but no snow. Do you think a pineapple plant would grow here? How big do they get?
Old 07-18-2009, 08:28 AM

Today I have recycled a Alpo's dog food bag into a trash bag for the kitchen trash can. These are super sturdy and I may use the next one to store a winter blanket in after I rinse it out outside and let it air dry.

Anna
Old 07-18-2009, 08:34 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Over the years we have had 3 gazeebos blow over and break. I finally figured out what to do with the pieces we had left! I took the decorative metal side panels and made a screen with a bench. I planted vine flowers and it looks really nice. I took another and have my cucumbers climbing. The 3 I had left, we bound together and made a fence between our house and the neighbours fence. It looks really expensive. The corner units are backing the corner gardens and look like they belong. I am really happy we didn't throw them out!

Don't get your knickers in a knot It makes you walk funny!
Old 07-19-2009, 03:30 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I just recycled a bunch of plastic bags at Walmart.
Old 07-19-2009, 04:13 AM
Nine Year Member

Yep I have a dog food bag in the kitchen using it as a trash bag too Anna.

I reuse cleaned milk jugs to make my iced tea in as they are so much lighter than a rubbermade type jug.

If you don't have a compost pile you can take your fruit/veggie scraps and coffee/tea grounds and just bury them in the ground. A different spot each time and let the worms go at it.

Roberta