Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Crafty Corner If you are creative, love to knit or crochet, paint, or just enjoy making fun stuff with your kids, this is the forum for you.

Old 06-26-2009, 02:22 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Scrapbooking Organizing and Other Tips

Craft tips

Organizing Scrap booking and Card Paper
I store my scrapbook paper in file folders in a small tub and have it divided up into holidays, general, boy, girl, school, floral, solids, etc. that way when I need a specific type of paper I can just pull out the file folder and choose. I have an index in the front that shows what folders and what the categories are. I keep an inventory of what I have and when ever I buy something new, I just add it to my inventory sheets. I use that to glance through if I am going shopping and I know I need something for a specific page, helps me to see what I have at a glance.

Organizing Stickers
I also have a separate book that closes with a zipper all around 3 sides for my stickers, I do them like the scrapbook paper and use clear page proctors to put the stickers in and can see them at a glance. I also keep an inventory sheet on them also.

Organizing Stamps and Stencils
I also have a book with page protectors for keeping up with my stamps and stencils. I just stamp blank white pages with the stamps and number them, then put into clear page protector. I can easily see how they will look and have a guide while I am scrapping without having to look at every stamp. I also file my stamps in drawers of a tall file ( like the plastic ones at Wal-Mart). After I decide what stamps I want to use I just open the drawer and pull out the coordinating number on the stamps.

* I use empty salad container boxes for storage boxes. The larger size is perfect for pictures, I divide the pictures into categories and use and index card to mark the group and place the top on. Perfect and easy to find specific pictures of people and holidays. See example below:

* I also use empty salad container boxes for storing projects I am working on like quilt squares I have cut out, or teabag folded paper and squares, and other little things. Since they are clear you can see what is in them and don’t have to fumble to find specific items. They are also good for storing scissors, punches, paint and just about anything you don’t have a place for. I can store the containers on a shelf stacked up, or I have large box tops that I put them on and just slide under my bed in my craft room. When you purchase other items that come in clear plastic containers check to see if you can use for storing something. I use the round boxes, and even have my colored pencils in a small box that we got when we bought some electrical equipment. I guess you figured out by now that my motto is THINK BEFORE YOU TOSS !! It really is amazing what you can do with simple items. My DH is often saying that I buy more supplies to match containers instead of tossing the containers; which might be a little true. LOL

Organizing Beads, small items
I found some very small containers at the Dollar Store, some square & round with tops. (There was 8 to 10 containers in the bag, near the cooking utensils). They are perfect for storing smaller beads, buttons, brads, and such. I then put time in a old salad container or clear shoe box and file on my shelves. I of course label each one and have an index on the top of the box. I even put my smaller teabag folding squares in them also.

* Take advantage of the Dollar Store for scrap booking supplies, they sell pages, embellishments, stickers, punches, stamps and they sell out fast, but keep an eye for their new shipments. Sometimes they offer a package with 4 papers and embellishments for the pages. If you are having a scrap booking party, It is great to get a large quantity at a good price, you can check the internet or the books in the stores. I use them often for supplies for teaching classes at our church.

* I always look in the craft aisles when I am shopping, stores frequently reduce items like ribbon, buttons, etc…that you can use in crafts. I just purchased some rolls of ribbon at Wal-Mart for 20 cents each.

* I use old toothbrushes to clean ink off my stamps, it works well getting into small areas. It only takes a few seconds and cheaper than buying cleaners for the stamps.

* Instead of buy new scrapbooks, I use old book-like calendars, small personal phone books, and journals (you can get them at the Dollar Store). You can pull out extra pages or just cover a section of pages with paper and make a two sided page. Works great and very inexpensive. You can also use photo books and cut your paper the size of the photo pages, then you have a instant page protector.

* I use brown paper bags from shopping to cut up and use on cards and crafts.

* I keep old envelopes and color the insides with water colors or pencils and it makes the design stand out and I can use them on scrapbook pages or cards. Some envelopes can’t be used because of the print type. I don’t want to use something that says a bank name or anything like that. Some actually have very pretty designs.

* I keep small scraps of fabric from my quilting and use it on scrapbook pages and also for adding to quilts that I use appliqué and need smaller pieces. Keeping an open mind about items before tossing, and you will be surprised what you can use to create your masterpieces.

Organizing Ribbon
Make your own ribbon box, just take a box, small or large and lay the rolls down on top of each other, simply punch a hole next to each roll and thread a small amount through each hole. The next time you need some ribbon you can simply pull and the ribbon comes out untangled and ready to use. I do suggest that you put yard in separate boxes or no more that 3 to 4, they can become tangled easier that ribbon.

* I take the cards that I receive from Christmas, Birthdays, Anniversaries, etc and make them into a collage scrapbook page, I cut the pictures out, arrange them into a pleasing collage and glue. If the larger pictures on the card don’t fit, on your page; some of them have a smaller picture of the front of the card on the back of the card, I use the smaller one. I also tear off postmarks, stamps and sticker to make may page stand out. Then I add the date and holiday, put them in a book and I can go back and look at them later. Usually Christmas takes up two pages. Of course all the cards don’t fit on the pages, so the left over cards I use as decorations for Scrapbook Covers or use in making homemade cards. See examples below:

I am going to post the examples in a separate post below:
Old 06-26-2009, 02:41 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Example Pictures from previous post

Examples of picture file and Christmas Collage Pages:

http://www.familycorner.com/forums/Image44.gif
http://www.familycorner.com/forums/Image45.gif

http://www.familycorner.com/forums/Image46.gif
Old 06-27-2009, 04:48 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Scrapbooking Organizing and Other Tips Pictures

so
Old 06-27-2009, 04:58 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Scrapbook Organizing and Other Tip Examples

xx
Old 06-27-2009, 01:58 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I use baby wipes to clean my stamps easy and seems to do the trick.....

Some great tips posted Karen

Hugs debbie

Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 07-01-2009, 07:48 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Another Try on pictures

http://s624.photobucket.com/albums/t...rnerpics-1.jpg

http://s624.photobucket.com/albums/t...rnerpics-2.jpg

http://s624.photobucket.com/albums/t...rnerpics-3.jpg
Old 07-01-2009, 10:25 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

http://s624.photobucket.com/albums/t...rnerpics-1.jpg http://s624.photobucket.com/albums/t...rnerpics-2.jpg http://s624.photobucket.com/albums/t...rnerpics-3.jpg
Old 07-04-2009, 04:22 AM
Three Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Some great tips there
Thank you

Take time to recharge your batteries. It's hard to see where you're going when your lights are dim.