Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Crafty Corner If you are creative, love to knit or crochet, paint, or just enjoy making fun stuff with your kids, this is the forum for you.

Old 01-28-2002, 09:37 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

chuckle Crafts using baby food jars

Hi there. This is my first post. I wanted to see if anyone has any crafting ideas for baby food jars? My DD is done with baby food, but a few of my friends are getting jars piled high. There are so many talented people out there, hopefully you can send help.
Thank you.
Brenda
Old 01-28-2002, 10:34 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Here is some idea's
candle holders, can be decorated,
screw lids to inderside of a shelf for storage of small items.
lighted triangles, can be used for x-mas, valentines, halloween. I have one that is made into an 'aquarium'
hanging lanterns
mini terraniums
garden borders ( need a lot for this one needs stacking)
decorated for hm xmas gifts ie: jams
If you need the instructions for any let me know.
Old 01-30-2002, 07:11 AM
A Member of the Family

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
FamilyCorner Admirer

Pinkie Winky

I have used them to make water globes. One year I was looking for an inexpensive craft that related to "Jonah & the Whale" for Vacation Bible School. I needed to make about 100. I took polymer clay and made whales that were sitting on a rock that was also covered with polymer clay. I baked this in the over and then glued it onto the lid of the jar. The kids then put water, glitter, and some little clay fish inside the jar. We used a silicon waterproof glue to seal the jar. Then the kids used a bread and glue clay to mold a base on the jar and let that air dry. This was a simple and inexpensive craft to do.
Old 02-02-2002, 06:10 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

baby jar projects

Eileen's Favorite Camp Crafts and Other Fun Things - Baby Food Jar Crafts http://www.chadiscrafts.com/fun/babyfoodjars.html
Old 02-02-2002, 09:09 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

chuckle Thank you.

Thank you everyone for the wonderful crafting ideas to do with babyfood jars. I knew there were a lot of crafty people out there. I know where to come first next time I have a question.
Brenda
Old 02-02-2002, 04:56 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

One of the neatest babyfood jar crafts I ever saw was a Mother's Day gift made by a Brownie troop. I stole the idea and used it with my preschool class, more than once. Mix epsom salts with a few drops of perfume and a few drops of food color, stir till tinted. Fill the baby food jar with it and decorate the lid with lace and ribbons. Beautiful, simple, and low-cost "Bath Salts!

Rani

Last edited by kasparcat; 03-09-2002 at 01:02 PM.
Old 02-02-2002, 05:58 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

baby food jars

You are so welcome, and it was good seeing the other ideas posted , I also have a project for making christmas trees from the baby food jars , really simple please let me know and I will post it or email you privately , they are cute ,you need either 15 or 21 depending on the size ,
love and god bless,
kay
Old 02-03-2002, 09:05 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

chuckle

Hi Kay.
Yes, I would like the directions to make the Christmas trees out of the babyfood jars. Sounds neat. Please post.
Thanks!
Brenda
Old 02-03-2002, 10:27 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

more on baby food jars; the Christmas tree and more

Christmas Baby Food Jar Tree
You need a piece of 1' by 2' long enough for six baby food jars for the tree using 21 jars or five for the tree using 15 jars butted next to each other and some space on either side about another couple of inches. I would estimate about 12 to 16 inches.

You will need 15 or 21 cleaned baby food jars, depending on what tree you plan on making.
You will also need a small string of Christmas lights.
You will need a nail punch or drill.
Holiday Green spray paint.
Christmas embelishments, like minatures, small pinecones and nuts, etc.
E-6000 glue.
Instructions:
Paint the piece of 1' by 2' green and let dry,
Using a nail punch or drill take the lids off the jars and punch or drill a hole in the center of the lids. Spray paint and let the lids dry.
Using the E-6000 glue, glue down for the first row 6 jars butted next to each other,
centering them and leaving space evenly on each side. Let dry according to glues
instructions.
Then glue 5 jars on top of the 6 jars butted next to each other and let dry.
Continue as above using 4 jars,, 3 jars 2 jars, and last 1 jar, letting each row dry as you build the tree.
Place the lids on the jars and then start placing the string of lights into the jars through the drilled or punched jar lid holes.
Embelish the sides of the tree with pinecones, Christmas minatures, tinsel, as you
feel apt at embelishing the project. plug in and place on window ledge and then of course you have to go outside and see how it looks from the outside.
I thing I got all the instructions written as to follow easily.
You want the smaller tree pyamid with 15 jars , using 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 jars .
Depending on your taste and the peice of wood you could make the base larger and
make the tree larger, but I wouldn't go to large so as not to make the Jar tree unstable.
The link below is one I found after I wrote my tree instructions up, it has pictures so it will be easy to see and picture the final project.
Also I included some other links for more baby food jar projects, enjoy,
Love and God Bless,
Kay

Recycling crafts - Make a beautiful Christmas Tree Centerpiece out of old baby food jars - Here's a great way to recycle old baby food jars - this beautiful centerpiece will brighten up your Christmas table!
http://www.makestuff.com/babyfood_centerpiece

- Baby-food Jar Gardens - A terrific craft for preschool and elementary.
http://www.kidsdomain.com/craft/jgardens.html

Baby food jar crafts - Baby foood jars can be great craft items. Learn how to use baby food jars as decorative votive candle holders.
http://ndnd.essortment.com/babiesfoodsjar_rgp

Baby Food Jars
http://www.thefrugallife.com/babyfood.htm

baby food jar candles
http://www.azcentral.com/home/crafty...tyideas04.html

Layered Soil Mix in a Jar ( these would make great minature ones with the larger baby food jars)
craftideas.com: America's Favorite Craft Magazines
http://www.craftideas.com/craftSplash/

Candle Holder
Surround a small jar with tissue and paper
http://craftcentralstation.com/chris...ts/candle.html

Glitter Glue Votive Candle Holder
Baby food jars and glitter glue. Very easy
http://www.kidsdomain.com/craft/votive1.html

You can wax creative with baby-food jars and candles
http://www.azcentral.com/home/crafty/0404craf
Old 02-04-2002, 11:03 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

chuckle

My Goodness Kay!!! Thank you soooo much. What wonderful ideas. I really appreciate all of your help. I think there are several great ideas here. Who knew so much could be done with the jars??
Brenda