Painting t-shirts - FamilyCorner.com Forums
Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Crafty Corner If you are creative, love to knit or crochet, paint, or just enjoy making fun stuff with your kids, this is the forum for you.

Old 06-22-2002, 08:51 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Painting t-shirts

I would like to make myself a bunch of t-shirts using fabric paints. But I don't want the puffy paint look, I want it to be flat. Can I just use fabric paint and a paintbrush? Will this work?

Also, anyone know of a good source for good quality t-shirts that don't cost a million?

Thanks!
Old 08-06-2002, 05:15 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

chuckle

Amanda,

My autumnmum used to paint t-shirts a long time ago, and she did a very good job. If you write to her, I'm sure she could give you some tips on the craft. Hers were so good she sold a lot of them. She no longer does them due to some arthritis in her hands, and has a problem holding on to some things.

Marilyn.

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Cry, and you cry alone.
Old 08-06-2002, 05:21 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Amanda,

You can use fabric paints with brushes. We have actually used them with stencils and those paint setencils on blocks.. the ones you paint on and then press onto the fabrics. You can even use sponges and other items for shapes.

As for cheap well made t-shirts.... our Rag Shop or A.C. Moore usually have Hanes brands really cheap.

Try the local craft stores or use the mens better made undershirts when on sale.

I hope this helps.
Old 08-09-2002, 05:02 PM
The Original Coupon Queen
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Amanda...painting shirts, plus other misc. items....

Oh my!! You have hit my heart strings!!..........

This was, and still is, my love.

Years ago, I, very happily, fell into drawing on shirts. Like you, I was fortunate enough to have that skill of free hand drawing. My only set back, ~ if you would call it that ~ would be that I had to have something to look at in order to sketch it. I think I painted on just about everything. From the shirts, to canvas ~( one of which went to the channel 56 auction, and bidded $125.00. ~ ~ ~ ~ That was one of Madonna. I also painted curtains for a baby's room ~ all Disney charactors. Plus posters and actual signs for different businesses. Painted on brick for a bakery. Also made a 4' x 6' building sign for an apartment bldg. But, after all of that, my favorite was the t~shirts. Mostly the cartoon ones. I ended up doing some shirts for bowling leagues, and made "Playboy" shirts for some men. They had an auction for one each week, and the proceeds went to their charities. Yes, that was my true love. I have had arthritis set into my hands, which makes it very difficult for me to hold the fabric paints ~ ~ ~ I used embroidery tubes. Since you have brought this subject to light again, I just bought a couple of shirts and have a 'need' to try again. My children have a few pictures of some of my work. If at all possible, Amanda, could there be a way of me sending some of the pictures to you, to scan? I have only a web tv board to work with and am limited to what I am able to do. I would so love to show you some of my work. I was so proud of it. When moving to Florida, for 3 years, WalMart had a contest for a painted shirt. I entered and won 1st. prize of a $100.00 prize. Yes, those were the good ole days....BUT, you are responsible for putting a spark back into me. I will try once again.

The way I found easiest and best to do this painting of the shirts was to always pre~wash your items, so you get the sizing out of them...plus no softener after the wash. Next, I would draw the outline of the picture onto the shirt ****with a piece of sandpaper inside the shirt. The sandpaper acts for two things. One, to hold the material in place when you are drawing, plus it keeps from the paints going through to the other side. There is another way of doing that part, if you aren't doing free hand. That would be to have tracing paper~ trace your design, with a tranfer pencil. Place your shirt onto the ironing board, with your sandpaper in tack, then iron on your transfer...**no steam, just a dry iron. From there, all you do is paint in your pattern. When that is done, replace your shirt onto the ironing board, put a piece of paper bag over your pattern, and once again, dry iron your pattern. This 'sets' your paints in the shirt. Next is the hardest part, I always thought, is to just let your item set for at least 48 hours. This time drove me crazy, cause I always wanted to hurry and give it to someone! But, by waiting this amount of time, you can gaurantee your item to last. I have shirts that were done 10 years ago. The material wears out before the paint.

My goodness!! I've written a book!!! See, Amanda, you did hit the "love of my life"! (Next would be the coupons,,,,which by the way, are doing well. Thank you.)

Please advise as to whether I could send you a couple of things I have done, for you to possibly scan. Thank you again, for all your help, in everything you've done for me. I truly appreciate it!!

Carol Ann
autumnmum 2002
"Coupon~Aholic's"
Swap Club ~ 2002
[email protected]
Old 08-09-2002, 05:15 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

chuckle

See, Amanda!--I told you she did a lot of this type of work, and she was good. I learned another thing about her I ever knew-her winning a prize while here in Florida.---Keep talkin', Dawter!!

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Cry, and you cry alone.
Old 08-09-2002, 05:15 PM
The Original Coupon Queen
FamilyCorner Fanatic

blushing Oops! Forgot.....

Sorry, I forgot to mention, that depending on how many shirts you are planning to do, I always went through a warehouse. They sell by dozens, and all different styles. Look into your yellow pages for them. I'm sure that where you are, there ought to be a couple around. These shirts were of good quality. Hope that I have been of some help.

Carol Ann
autumnmum 2002
"Coupon~Aholic's"
Swap Club ~ 2002
[email protected]