Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Crafty Corner If you are creative, love to knit or crochet, paint, or just enjoy making fun stuff with your kids, this is the forum for you.

Old 06-19-2002, 10:00 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Question Any Old Fashioned Fun & Games for Kids?

Hi Ladies,

There are so many great ideas here for the kids to do during summer vacation and beyond. The best part is that most of them are free or very reasonably priced. I came across an idea that reminded me of when I was little. The one about the "Coffee Can Stilts". Wonderful!! Wish I had saved all those cans! Anyway, I was wondering if anyone remembered how to make those old "Telephone Can Lines" that my mother used to make when she was a kid. I know its basically 2 cans, some waxed string/rope and hook 'em together, but am I missing something? And are there any other great old fashioned ideas like that, that I can pass down to my kids? My mother is still living, thank God, but she has always been a little forgetful, bless her heart. Thanks, and enjoy your kids and the summer!!

Old 06-21-2002, 06:33 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

tin can phones are just the two cans and string. make a hole in teh bottom of each can. thread one end of string through one hole and secure it with a knot. and do the same with the other end of the string and other can. there is also the clothespin game. get a milk bottle( any other bottle with a narrow opening will work, like a gatorade bottle) and give each kids 10 clothes pins. they stand over the bottle and drop in their clothes pins to see who can get the most in.
get a big button. it needs to have at least two holes on it that you sew it on something with. upolstry buttons will not work. thread a length of string through the two button holes and tie the two ends together. slide the button so it is in the middle of the stringthe button should be sideways to you, not looking at the front of it straight on. hold the string in your hands and twirl the button around a few times. after you have done that you should be able to move your hands together and apart and make the button spin in front of you. i hope i explained that clearly enough.
that's all i can think of right now.
Old 06-21-2002, 07:45 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Thanks Pita! Yes, you explained the button/string game very well. I think I can barely remember playing that one, I remember the button going back and forth when you open up the string.

Thank You so much for the ideas. We will use these and have lots of laughs!

:p
Old 06-22-2002, 06:45 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

you're welcome. they are things i used to do as a kid. i know there are more things i just can't think of them right now. if you have younger kids you can make a felt board with shapes and letters. cover whatever side board you want with a sheet of felt. glue it on or use a staple gun. then cut out shapes from other peices of felt. you can do triangles, circlrs etc, or make people, letters , numbers. if you have scrapes of felt already, you can make this pretty frugally.
Old 06-22-2002, 10:46 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Telephone line craft

To make the telephone lines just take 2 cans (make sure that all the edges are smooth so they do not hurt anyone) Punch a hole in the bottom of both cans. Tie string at one end and thread through one can. Cut string at desired length and push the end through the hole in other can. Pull through so you can tie another knot at that end and pull sting back so the know is in the can. Let the kids enjoy

Jackie s
Old 06-22-2002, 06:08 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Pinkie Winky

Thanks ladies. We'll be doing the tin can phone as soon as I can find some string What about waxing the string?? Or was that not even part of it?

Thanks again...................Debbie
Old 06-22-2002, 06:26 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

lawnangel:

We never waxed our string but of course others may have. We were frugal even in the early to middle 50's when I was making these.

Jacckie S
Old 06-24-2002, 08:56 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

chuckle

How about setting up tin cans on a safe ledge and trying to throw and knock them over with a small rock or pinecone. I made my share of mud pies and forts in the by-gone days. I dressed the chickens in baby clothes, but I wouldn't recommend that one. ;-)

My kids loved water in just about any fashion. They loved to make bubbles, stir, pour, splash.

Read stories on a blanket. Have the kids make picnic lunches. They can set up a camp in the yard. Have a neighborhood circus!

And don't forget summer chores! Pulling weeds, watering, moving rocks (I suppose that one is yard-specific...we have tons of them naturally and I had my kids move them to make a rock garden), washing cars, sweeping porches, washing windows, walking the dog...

Now my kids are all older, with the youngest one at age 15. It must be time for grandkids! I miss some of those times!
Old 06-24-2002, 10:59 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Oh gosh what a great thread. What memories and so simple.

My little one and I did water balloons the other day. We had so much fun. I know he'll love some of the other ideas.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane.
Old 06-25-2002, 05:08 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

chuckle Fun Games

Hello Ladies-
I have also been having trouble finding new games and old ones to keep 65 children occupied. See, I'm in charge of putting on our family reunion every two years. Used to be every year. It's alot of work and trying to come up with new things for the kids is driving me crazy. They range from newborn to 17 yrs old. After Easter had passed I had leftover egg die. I tie dyes my 2 1/2 yr olds t-shirt. It didn't stay. Is there anyone who can help me on this? I am using a water sal. egg dying kits, because we have alot of small children. I figure, even if it doesn't stay, the kids will have fun doing this. And it will keep them out of trouble for alittle while. I have also decided to make some bean bags. (for a bean bag toss) I've used old shirts from the rag bag for material, instead of buying. A great way to recycle. We do the traditional egg toss, balloon toss and dunking for apples. We also do a sawdust pile with money for the small kids to participate in. They love this one. Our reunion is in August this year and any ideas will be welcomed. Thank you Ladies for your help.