Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Crafty Corner If you are creative, love to knit or crochet, paint, or just enjoy making fun stuff with your kids, this is the forum for you.

Old 06-17-2008, 01:56 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Suggestions for newbie scrapbookers?

I love the way that everything looks in scrapbooking. I have never ever tried it myself because I'm afraid I would get addicted and end up doing it all the time, leaving no time for anything else LOL

However, I have wondered about just putting together a couple of simple pages and framing them for my family room.

Any suggestions for someone who has never scrapbooked before? What should be my first step?
Old 06-17-2008, 02:37 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Amanada yes scrapbooking can be very addictive.......I think doing a few pages and framing them is a wonderful idea.......

First off you need to decide what size of page you will be doing.....8X8, 8X10 or 12X12 Of course this will depend on the amount of photos and the size they are. I prefer 12X12 and there are many stores now that actually make scrapbooking frames that are a little wider to accomadate the embellishments.

Next decide what photos you are going to use and what size. Lay them on the size paper you have chosen and decide if they need to be cropped.

Next you will have to pick your background paper and the accent colors. I would suggest taking your photos to a scrap store and seeing what will match. While there you can pick upp some stickers , brads, buttons etc or any embellishemnt that adds to the overall theme.

You can use ribbon and buttons etc that you have at home but it is best if they are acid free....this way you will not ruin your work of art with yellowing etc over the years.

You will need to decide on a type of adhesive to use......again it should be acid free. there are glue sticks, glue dots, tape runners, stamp hinges. Usually it is just prefrence.....but if you are only doing 1-2 pages I would say a glue stick is the cheapest. You may need glue dots for buttons or heavier embelishments.

some scrapbook stores will allow you to rent trimmmers, diecutters or templates or you can pay a small fee and use them at the store to cut your papers or make shapes.....If not I would just suggest a ruler, exacto knife and tracing shapes onto the paper and cutting them

There is no wrong way to layout your page...you can go as simple as you want making one photo the cener of attention or you can go with a busier theme and lots of photos all different ahpes and sizes. Some people will tell you to use odd numbers of pic as it is more pleasing to the overall look.

Once you have decided how your Layout will be you need to use your choice of adhesive to glue it all down.

Using an acid free marker or pen you can add some journalling like dates and people in the photos if you choose...you don't have to do this.

Lastly look at your creation and place it in a frame to hang on the wall.

hope this helps.......it is pretty condensed....any questions about any aspects please ask away

Happy Scrapping

Hugs dEbbie

Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 06-17-2008, 02:52 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Amanda here is what learn2scrapbook.com has to say

Here is a step by step guide to making your first page:
  1. Choose a few pictures of a single event
  2. Pick out the best photos. Get rid of the blurry photos and the photos that do not help tell the story or do not show any one's face clearly.
  3. You should have 3-5 photos of the event. Many people recommend that you use odd numbers of photos on a page.
  4. See if you have one great photo that should be the focal point of the page. If so consider that while you continue.
  5. Place the photos on the page, is there a logical sequence or can you put them where they are visually appealing?
  6. If you have one perfect photos, then crop it if you need to. Chances are you will not need to do much to it.
  7. Now, look at your other photos. Are there elements in the background that distract your eye from the subject of the photo? If so consider cropping your photo to showcase the thing that was supposed to be the subject of the photo.
  8. Consider adding color to your page by matting a photo with acid-free, lignin-free colored paper, acid-free, lignin-free stationary or using a die cut.
Hugs Debbie

Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 06-17-2008, 06:28 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Debbie these tips are fantastic, thank you! At least I now have a place to start, I had no idea what direction to go in before. Thanks!
Old 06-20-2008, 05:22 AM
Five Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Not to but in or anything but I would also suggest matting your photos. It really makes them stand out and it really makes the page look finished. Matting means putting a piece of paper that is slightly larger than your photo behind your photo.
B
Old 06-21-2008, 04:39 PM
Assistant Moderator

My name is Kathy ....... and I'm addicted to scrapbooking LOL

I agree that matting is good but I think it depends on the paper background you are setting it on.
I'd have to say that at least 80% of mine are matted and even double matted if it's a picture I want to stand out amongst the others.

Don't be afraid to experiment.
Don't be afraid to let things sit for a bit before adhering of you're not sure.
Don't be afraid that some one else may not like your page.
I love to put little notes or journaling on the page, some anecdotes of the day or event.

There are some great 30x30cm frames especially made for scrap pages, kids like to do their own photo and artwork, they make great gifts for the grandparents.

It is a great hobby for your personal self, and to give smaller albums as gifts.
I have mine and hubbys comes in after we married then to when we met, married, kids and goes to now.
I have one each for the kids (actually at the moment it's 3 each) and their wives get custody of those when they marry.

Last edited by Bilby; 06-21-2008 at 04:42 PM.
Old 06-22-2008, 12:43 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Thanks to both of you! I am looking forward to trying this out
Old 06-22-2008, 07:39 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I agree on the matting...Kathy I like you double mat and have also triple matted photos to make them stand out on a page.

Hugs debbie

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 06-28-2008, 04:49 PM
Assistant Moderator

If you don't like the look of your hand writing in ink in journaling or card greeting, write on a piece of paper and pop in the scanner, scan and use the computer printed version on your page. This way your hand writing looks like a font. This really works and looks good.

Old 07-02-2008, 04:20 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

That is a great idea Kathy....I think it is so important to journal and in your own handwriting.......it is a great memory for future generations...I have old letters from grandparents etc and i love to open them and see their writing....makes me feel close to them...

hugs debbie

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson