FamilyCorner.com Forums

FamilyCorner.com Forums (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/)
-   Crafty Corner (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/crafty-corner/)
-   -   Old Fashioned Crafts & Games (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/crafty-corner/22497-old-fashioned-crafts-games.html)

Amanda 04-11-2008 04:22 PM

Old Fashioned Crafts & Games

Remember the crafts you made when you were a child? Or maybe when your mom was a child she made these? Think old fashioned, tried and true fun!

Examples:

tin can phone game - made with two vegetable cans, yarn or string attaching the two together

coffee can stilts - Two coffee cans turned upside down, twine tied through drilled holes to make handles

Get the idea? I would LOVE to hear about all the old fashioned games that you had to make first. Please share!

ajrsmom 04-13-2008 10:42 AM

I don't know that name of this paper craft but we used to make them to fit on our fingers...they would have 4 finger places in the and saying writting inside the "pockets". Does anyone know what I am talking about?

I just made a tic tac toe board and pieces for my kids from those little plastic drink mix holders that come 5 to a pk (of course you need 6 cups ;)) in a plastic container--and then a laminated piece of paper. The kids marked x's on 3 and o's on 3 and I laminated the paper for them.

They've taken this game outside, in the car...and I don't get mad if they lose the pieces! ;)

Another craft that we used to make what cutting out different shapes from heavy cardboard and using shoe strings to "lace" through the holes.

One more....yarn and a plastic lid (used a Pringles can lid if I remember correctly) to wrap the yarn around to make pom poms in our school colors to wear to the football games. :)

Amanda 04-14-2008 04:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajrsmom
I don't know that name of this paper craft but we used to make them to fit on our fingers...they would have 4 finger places in the and saying writting inside the "pockets". Does anyone know what I am talking about?
:)

Yes I know exactly what you are talking about. My kids just made these a couple of months ago but neither one of them knows what they are called LOL

barbszy 04-14-2008 08:38 AM

We used to call those things "fortunetellers." Wish I could remember how to fold them.

We also used to make origami balls, blow them up and bat them around. Again, I couldn't do it now!

DH says that he and his friends used to make paper footballs.

Finally, I spent hours upon hours as a child making paper dolls and wardrobes for them. I was happy with scissors, paper, crayons, & a piece of cardboard to make the doll.

Amanda 04-14-2008 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbszy
We used to call those things "fortunetellers." Wish I could remember how to fold them.

These are all great, thank you Barb! I will ask my son how they make these again, he just had one a couple weeks ago.

Bunny 04-14-2008 09:15 AM

I also made fortuntellers but dont remember how to fold them

Bernice 04-14-2008 10:05 AM

I remember making tic tac toe games and checker games that you untie the bag and the pieces stored inside. It was a circle piece of cloth and you whipped stitched around the edge to hem it. Then you took yarn/shoe string and ran it through the hem for the bag to close. At that time we used to use the pull tabs from the soda cans and wrap string/yarn around them using just two colors for the two different game pieces. The board was sewn with fabric scraps or embroidered. This took time and gave us something to do during summer breaks.

barbszy 04-14-2008 12:42 PM

We used to take big picture books and use them for walls to make dollhouses.

Furniture was blocks of scrap wood from Dad's workbench. If we were really being daring, we colored on them with Magic Markers ;)

Amanda 04-14-2008 08:13 PM

yes, fortune tellers! That's what they are called :)

Keep the great posts coming!

Hey, look what I found, a bunch of new smilies! :sweet: :drinkt: :hatsss:

VicRae 04-14-2008 09:45 PM

We use to make bags to hold Marbles in.

Made cloth checkersboards and painted pop bottle caps for the checkers.

Learned how to sew making clothes from scraps for Barbies and other Dolls.

Made rings out of rope and plastic lids for Ring tosses.

Also made a Twister game out of a sheet and traced circles and colored them with Markers and made the spinner to use for the game.

Would have to draw out the Hopscotch board and find usable rocks for Markers.

Made Beanbags For a beanbag toss.

The Good Olde Days when you would make the games and not have to buy them.