Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Crafty Corner If you are creative, love to knit or crochet, paint, or just enjoy making fun stuff with your kids, this is the forum for you.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:08 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I grew up on a small family farm. We had home made ice cream a lot compared to other people. We had a crank ice cream freezer, and would have to take turns turning. We also had lots of fruit (from our trees), berries and mom would freeze it so we could have peach or berry ice cream, pies or coblers. We had to buy the vanilla extract & sugar, but everything else was at hand. Sounds wonderful until you realize you have to pick and "can" or freeze the fruit, feed & milk the cow, clean the stalls, lug 4 gallon buckets a city block, strain the milk, pour it into jars and clean the buckets, strainers, etc. Back then it didn't seem like much, but today my grandkids would look at us and ask why we didn't just buy it. They'll never understand the joy of working hard to make something money can't buy!

Vivian
Old 05-20-2008, 11:50 AM
Three Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Vivian I also grew up on a farm .Our deep freeze was kept outside in a shed cause the house did not have enough power or for that matter enough room lol. We picked wild berries (ie saskatoons,strawberries, chockcherries,and cranberries )Saskatoons were frozen whole in a big bag. the rest of the berries were used to make jams,jellies ,syrups,and wine. We used to snitch the frozen saskatoons and eat them frozen,loved them lol. I also remember the milking and barn chores . After straining the milk we put it through a cream separator( That thing took for ever to wash I remember it had 33 discs to wash, hated it lol.) The cream could then be cooled and churned into butter. That too took a long time and made your arm hurt . I loved the fresh butter can't buy anything near that taste now.The cool fresh butter milk was a treat unlike anything I have tasted since. When we ran out of butter and needed some fast, a 2 quart jar was filled 2/3rds full of cool cream, and you held it by both ends and plumped it against your knee till you had butter lumps form. Then you drained off the buttermilk squeezing the last of it out with a spatula,rinced the butter in real cold water,squeezed that all out too, and salted it to taste. This would be a good rainy day craft for children, not only would they get the feeling of having accomplishment but they would also reap the rewards of their labor. You could buy the cream and perhaps use a smaller jar.
Old 05-20-2008, 02:21 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

We had a quart jar we shook or did the "twist" to make butter. Also had a hand crank butter churn which held a gallon of cream which we hand skimmed of the top or the milk. The jersey's milk was easy as her cream was more yellow, but that onry holstein had white cream and it was not easy to skim! Glad I missed out on cleaning a cream seperator as it sounds more trouble than its worth.lol
We had walnut, pecan, apricot, peach necturine, cherry, St. Rosa plum and wild cherry plum trees. We had a 20' ladder to use in picking fruit. We grew strawberries, blackberries, boisenberries, and raspberries. We had a large grape arbor with seedless, and concord in both white and purple. There was also 1/2 acre of garden to weed and water daily. We didn't feel put upon as we knew it was our food supply and were taught to love our fresh grown fruits and veggies (well, most of them anyway). Seems nowadays kids think they've got it bad it you ask them to pick up their own mess. They seem to forgotten that a little work gives a big reward.
By the way what is a saskatoons???

Vivian
I like this guy! We have the same figure. lol
Old 05-20-2008, 02:44 PM
Nine Year Member

WoW! You all have great memories! I grew up in a city and missed out on a lot of this stuff. I remember collecting soda bottles on a Saturday to cash in for a few cents, it was ice cream money....LOL
Old 05-20-2008, 04:09 PM
Three Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Vivian you must have lived in southern USA to have so many fruit trees growing. I live in Winnipeg Manitoba Canada too cold for most of them. But I do have strawberries,raspberries and ruhabarb, used to have an apple tree and a plum tree too but lost them to fire blight. A saskatoon is very much like a black berry in both taste and appearance only smaller.It grows on a tree though not a shrub like black berries, we also have black berries in Manitoba.
Old 10-11-2008, 06:14 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I remember the fortune tellers and the paper footballs. My girls who are 10 make the fortune tellers all the time!!!

Old 10-12-2008, 10:54 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Actually, I grew up in northern California. Its now a "city". Citrus Heights is north and east of Sacramento. It used to be mostly farm land, with citrus (orange) trees, plums, peaches, etc. We had walnut and pecan trees too. Well actually Grandpa had the pecan, and he was up the street and through a pasture. The whole area is now houses, and not much farming. Mom has her chickens, but no more "livestock" is allowed.
The C Bar C ranch used to have hay rides from September through January. They had cattle and a couple of small ponds where kids used to sneek & fish. After her husband died, she sold the ranch except a small area which was donated as a park........ C Bar C park of course.
This past summer I was out in CA as my mother had to go another round of chemo therapy. It takes a lot to keep everything watered, and take care of the chickens twice a day! She had been given some chicks from a school in May, and most of them were Bantam or "Bani" - (extra small chickens) and roosters. The crowing commenced at 3:30 a m . The neighbors didn't complain as she keeps them in eggs We named one little rooster Rocky as he was one of the smallest, but thought he was so big and bad. He would come up behind you and peck your heel. He knew we would scoop him up and "pet" him, and that seemed to be his motivation. We also hand fed him some grapes that had turned to raisen on the vines. We watered the grapes, but seems they didn't like how hot it got. The little guy even liked to fly up on my shoulder and try to stare me down. He was too cute, so I had a fun time everytime I went out to feed, water, clean and gather the eggs. Almost makes me want to move out wher I can have chickens........ almost!
We did a lot of freezeing and canning, and I did a lot othis summer too. Mom shouldn't have to buy much as I froze lots of veggies and meals before I left and I also did a lot of canning including soups. So, all those "fun" things I learned as a kid came in real handy this summer. I'm glad my parents loved me enough to teach me how to so many useful things! Its a lot more fun now though!

Vivian
Old 10-12-2008, 03:28 PM
Four Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

boy o boy, the memories posted here...............
Old 10-13-2008, 07:17 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

We also froze a lot of fruit, when we didn't have time to can or make jelly. We used to snitch frozen berries and "cherry" plums and enjoyed then as well as most kids today enjoy popsicles.
Ther are a lot of good memories here, and we won't shatter the delussion (sp) of anyone who didn't grow up on a farm and doesn't know all the real work involved. I, for one think it was a blessing, but wouldn't want to do it now @55!

Keep Smiling
Vivian