Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Crafty Corner If you are creative, love to knit or crochet, paint, or just enjoy making fun stuff with your kids, this is the forum for you.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 04-22-2008, 04:58 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Bunny, I remember playing hop scotch and red light/green light, statue, simon says, and freeze tag. I have recently taught all of my dc children those games. I could not believe none of them had ever played hop scotch!

~Mother Theresa

Old 04-26-2008, 05:01 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Hi, Sure got my memories flowing,LOL.
As a teen my mom used to make and sell :
Candle holder with plastic flower ring on bottom layer of the old electric insulators. We used to find them along the wire ways and in garbage dumps.
Used to get neat stuff out of garbage dumps too. They didn't have plastic and the dumps dried out and didn't stink. found neat chairs etc.
2nd thing I remember is a foam sheeting sorta like the foam sheets they have today but thinner and more like foam. Anyway she made pictures out of the foam. Dogs,cats,birds, flowers and dressed them up with glitter and glue. Put magnets on them so you stick them to the frig.
3rd was records. Olds 78 and 33 1/3 ones. We put them down ovwer a coffee can in a pot of boiling water.
They would melt with ripples all round. Took them out and let cool. Then painted them. For bowls that you put stuff in.
4th was using string, wax and crayons to make candles in pringles cans. We would use old crayons to color the candle.
5 was rose and other flowers mad by each petal cut from crete paper which we streched the middle of each petal to curve it and then took a pipe cleaner and put smallest petals on then progressed out to the large petals. They were very pretty. I tried to remember the shape of the petals but I can't.
Sold a lot of them.LOL
Used to play ciggarete tag and red light green light, too twister and more. Great thread.
Old 04-27-2008, 12:31 PM
Three Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I too remember the " fortune tellers" and how to make them,ndjng has a link so I won't go into it .We used to make button bees . You took a long string threaded one end through one button hole and the other end through the other hole and tied the string together. This forms a loop. Move the button to the middle. Hook 1 finger of each hand into each end of the hoop. Spin the button around one way till the string is twisted then pull back tight and relax pull again and relax keep repeating button should dance in the middle and string should hum like a bee.
We made tops by cutting the empty thread spools in half and putting the short ends of pencils into the centre holes of them.
Every spring we gathered ***** willows and pasted them to cut out pictures of rabbits or bunnies or catterpillers. We colored them with colored chalk dust and made pretty furry creatures.
A mitt with a broom handle shoved into the thumb, a mouth drawn on the hand, and mane sewn on the cuff at the base of the thumb was a horse.
We made willow whistles. You cut off a 3in straight piece of green willow. At the half way mark you cut around it just through the bark then slipped the bark off one end. Then you carved a '''u" shapped well in one side of the bare wood,and shaved the top to the end down just a little. You slipped the bark back on and made a slight "v" opening above the area where you made the well in. Now by blowing through the shaved hole you could whistle. These are just a few of the things we did as kids . Was lots of fun . There was also
"I spy" and" Hang man". HI ALL NICE TO MEET YOU midnightmama214
Old 04-28-2008, 04:47 AM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

midnightmama214, welcome to FC! It is nice to meet you. I remember button bees - my mother taught me how to make them. And I still love picking ***** willows.

~Mother Theresa

Old 04-28-2008, 10:25 AM
Three Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I Too Had My Hair Done In Rags, These Posts Bring Back Alot Of Memories . My Mud Pies Were Made In Herring Tins And Decorated With Cargana Beans. Paperdolls Had Lovely Gowns Made From Orange Wrappers. We Also Saved The Silver And Gold Papers From Cigarette Packets And Cholate Bars These Were Put Around Small Strips Of Card Board.
The Width Of The Cardboard Had To Be 1/4 The Lenght .you Folded The Long Ends To The Middle Then You Weaved Them Together To Form A Zigzag Long Enough To Make A Hair Band .you Put A Button On One End And A Loop Of Elastic On The Other . The More Different Colors Of Shinny Paper You Had The More Colorful The Hair Band.
We Also Cut Animals Out Of Cardboard. If You Bent The Legs You Could Make Them Stand. Then We Made Barns And Pens To Keep Them In. Just A Sissors Cardboard Box And An Imagination And We Were Busy For Hours
Old 04-28-2008, 11:08 AM
Nine Year Member

Thumbs up Hi Ladies

I love reading this thread. All the ladies posts are just great! It's a trip down memory lane.... .
Old 04-30-2008, 11:47 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Any more??? I'm loving this and would still love to hear more

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 04-30-2008, 01:38 PM
Nine Year Member

Here's a page to download your own Patty Reed paper dolls if anyone wants it.

http://simplicity.com/index.cfm?page...pReedIntro.cfm

Also, when my family would go fishing when I was 10 years old or so. I would take a sack of scrap material and set and cut out clothes for my Barbie dolls and sew them by hand. Would keep me quiet for awhile.
Old 04-30-2008, 02:51 PM
Three Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

We Had Sewing Cards These Were Pictures With Holes All Around Them .you Had A Shoe Lace And You Used It To Sew Through The Holes With. I Also Used To Sew Doll Clothes By Cutting Down My Old Clothes To Fit My Dolly
Old 05-01-2008, 05:11 AM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

midnightmama214, I remember those sewing cards too. We used to go fishing, ride our bikes everywhere, catch fire flies, make mud pies. We played house and school and office. My best friend and I spent hours playing either barbies or with our Chrissie and Velvet dolls (does anyone remember them? They were dolls who you could make their hair long or short by turning a knob in the back or pressing a button on their belly button) We used to draw our own comic strips too.

~Mother Theresa