Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Crafty Corner If you are creative, love to knit or crochet, paint, or just enjoy making fun stuff with your kids, this is the forum for you.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 04-15-2008, 03:15 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Fortune tellers were also called cootie catchers when I was a kid. Here is a link that shows how to make them.
http://www.momsminivan.com/article-cootie-catcher.html
Old 04-15-2008, 04:46 AM
Nine Year Member

Those were the days. I guess that is where I get my crafting bug from. My mom was being frugal and smart. There was 5 of us growing up and not enough $$.

Reading about the other games that we made brings back a lot of summer memories.

Way to go Amanda
Old 04-15-2008, 10:16 AM
Nine Year Member

I guess this would be called a magical game trick. I can remember the kids takng a soda bottle and putting a part of a vine from a cucumber plant in the bottle. When the cucumber was finished growing the vine was cut off. The kids would show people the bottle and everyone wondered how the cucumber grew in the bottle. ......I might try this with my grandkids this Summer. Some of the old games and crafts are still lots of fun for kids today.

Last edited by HAPPY6; 04-15-2008 at 10:21 AM.
Old 04-16-2008, 03:12 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

These are all such great ideas! Please don't stop, I'd love to hear more!

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 04-16-2008, 04:06 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAPPY6
I guess this would be called a magical game trick. I can remember the kids takng a soda bottle and putting a part of a vine from a cucumber plant in the bottle. When the cucumber was finished growing the vine was cut off. The kids would show people the bottle and everyone wondered how the cucumber grew in the bottle. ......I might try this with my grandkids this Summer. Some of the old games and crafts are still lots of fun for kids today.
What a cool project!!

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 04-18-2008, 02:08 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I remember making the pom-poms like Tami mentioned. Tami, do you remember how to make them? I would love to have my daughters make some. I just know that I will mess them up though.

Okay, you all will get a big kick out of this one,! But, my Mom would make dolls out of corn husks, the silk was the hair!

Like Barb, we also cut pictures from magazines, and decorated boxes for houses for our paper dolls or barbies. We also use to use the long tomato holders(the plastic ones with like three or four tomatoes in a pack) for barbie beds.

And than there was the game of kick-the-tin-can.

When I was young, I always said I wanted to be someone...I guess I should have been more specific!
Old 04-18-2008, 04:33 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Karen, we also used tomato baskets and strawberry baskets for our doll furniture! Fabric scraps were sheets, blankets and table cloths.

I think making the stuff was half the fun I know we'd spend more time setting things up than actually playing.
Old 04-18-2008, 06:49 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I remember spending many summer afternoons making some fabulous mud pies. Mom would save the small foil pans that pot pies came in. My sisters and I would make our mud creations, decorate them with flowers, weeds, rocks, twigs etc. and then leave them in the sun to bake.
We played hopscotch on the sidewalk in front of our house. We had neighborhood kick the can games and kick ball in the vacant lot across the street.
We also made chains from gum wrappers and flowers with kleenex and pipe cleaners.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:37 AM

Happy face

Wow!!! lots of memories here. I used to cut the people from magazines to make paper dolls too, but remember the Betsy McCall paper dolls from the McCalls magazine. I pasted the dolls on cereal boxes & then cut them out to make them stiffer. My favorite paper doll was Shirley Temple.

I also made the mud pies.. "borrowed" Mom's cookie cutters to make different shapes & left them in the sun to get hard. Played hopscotch for hours.. we didn't have a sidewalk so we made our board in the dirt. Mom made me corn husk dolls & yarn dolls too. Mom made all my clothes so there was always plenty of scraps for me to make doll clothes with. We played kick the can & Run Sheep Run.. similiar to kick the can, but one person on one side would hide their group & then come back & draw a map for the other team to follow. When they got close to where someone was hiding, the person that hid us would yell "Run Sheep Run & everyone would race back to the safe zone . I could go on for hours with all the things we did when we were kids, but would take up alot of space here. LOL. Thanks all for the great memories!!
Old 04-18-2008, 11:16 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Minny, I always loved the Betsey McCall paper dolls!