Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Crafty Corner If you are creative, love to knit or crochet, paint, or just enjoy making fun stuff with your kids, this is the forum for you.

Old 06-05-2002, 01:40 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Home Sweet Honeycomb painting

This one is my pattern, but not sure if I am going to post the instructions, only because I'm not sure I could put it into words LOL Maybe some day. This was one of my first freehand tole painting projects, I painted it directly onto the glass of the frame.
Attached Images

Old 06-05-2002, 01:51 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Amanda,

Can you explain to me a little about tole painting? I had never heard of it until I saw your posted crafts. I love the style of your crafts and was wondering if "tole" is a technique or more of a type of craft. The one's that I've seen remind me of a country theme. I would love to learn more about it and check it out at my local craft store.

Thanks,
Jenn
Old 06-05-2002, 02:27 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Hi Jennz! Here' sa pretty good explanation of tole painting, I'll post the link to the rest of the article after this paragraph, it has some good info!

The broad term Tole and Decorative Painting really describes the variety of styles, surfaces and painting techniques used in arts and crafts.
Originally tole painting mainly applied to tin or metal, now decorative painting is applied to just about any surface. Folk Art was used to add color and decoration to household items like utensils and furniture. The techniques have been passed down from generation to generation. The new products available to today's painters has expanded upon these techniques, mixed with experimentation and creativity we are seeing everything popping up from Primitive to ultra-modern. We have paints available that allow us to work not just on metals, tin or wood but other surfaces like glass, porcelain, candles and almost any fabric. Finishes like Flaux allow us to create the look of marble, wood or stone on almost any surface, just add to the exciting possibilities.

Whatever your craft is, decorative painting can add color and your own unique style to your work. You won't know until you try. Check your local area for classes or your library for beginner books or videos to get you started in whatever style or technique that interests you.

More here
http://www.craftassoc.com/tolepant.html
Old 09-14-2002, 04:58 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

chuckle

Amanda--

Love your picture. --You and Martha Stewart!!--Such talent!!
I think I was left out in the multi-talent department. It amazes me to read all the things some of you young-uns do. I will have to be re-born, and hope the next time around will include some abilities to do a lot more than I have done.

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Cry, and you cry alone.
Old 09-17-2002, 01:02 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Amanda did you do this on the front or on the back of the glass? I saw a demostration of reverse painting on glass this morning on Carol Devoel Show. It looked fun but a little complicated.

This new design of your is so cute. You sure do have a lot of super ideas in your head!!!!;-)

A friend is one to whom one may pour out all the contents of one's heart, chaff and grain together, knowing that gentle hands will take and sift it, keep what is worth keeping and, with a breath of kindness, blow the rest away.