Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Crafty Corner If you are creative, love to knit or crochet, paint, or just enjoy making fun stuff with your kids, this is the forum for you.

Old 04-18-2007, 11:38 PM
Assistant Moderator

Hand sewing, simple hints

To prevent tangled thread when sewing by hand, knot each strand separately instead of knotting them together.

Old 04-19-2007, 02:56 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I'll definitely be trying this. I always wind up with a big tangle when I go to sew on a button or a Boy Scout patch.
Old 04-30-2007, 04:48 PM
Assistant Moderator

Having trouble sliding your nedle into your fabric?
Like nappy pins you can give it a slide along your scalp through your hair. Your natural hair oil is enough to let your needle slide through your fabric easier and not leave any tell tail marks.

Old 05-27-2007, 02:54 PM
Assistant Moderator

Needle threading tips

Put White Behind the Needle

Whether youíre threading a sewing machine needle or a hand sewing needle, white behind the needle makes the eye much more visible. Keep a small piece of index card pinned to your pin cushion. Then when you are threading a needle that piece is always available to place behind the eye of the needle.

Put White Behind the Sewing Machine Needle

Many new sewing machines have a white presser foot holder. If your machine has the standard silver presser foot holder, tray a dab of White-Out on the foot holder, behind the needle. Allow it to dry before sewing fabric.

Cut the Thread with Sharp Scissors

Always use sharp scissors to cut the thread. A clean cut thread is always easier to get through the eye of a sewing needle, than a fuzzy shredded thread.

Cut the Thread at an Angle

Cut the thread at a forty-five degree angle. Even if you can't see the angle, the angle will make it easier to thread the needle.

Stiffen the Thread

Stiffen the thread with saliva or bees wax. It will be easier to control through the eye than a limp thread.

Use a Needle Threader

A needle threader comes with many packages of assorted sewing needles. That little wire, gives you a big eye to thread even if your sewing needle has a tiny eye.Visit sewing machine dealers and notion departments to see many new needle threaders available to thread hand and sewing machine needles.

Sewing a Machine with Built in Needle Threader

A built in needle threader is available on almost all upper end sewing machines. If threading a needle is stopping you from sewing, consider making a bit of an investment to make sewing enjoyable.

Solving Clumsy Hands

Consider using tweezers. Long bent handle tweezers are available for threading a serger but can work just as well to hold the thread while threading any sewing needle.

Use Moisture

Try a bit of moisture on your thumb behind the needle. The moisture works like a magnet to draw the thread through the eye of the needle.

Use an Eye that Matches the Thread Size

If you're using fine thread use a needle that has a small eye, but if you are using a thick thread, choose a needle with a larger eye to accept the thread and prevent damaging the thread as you sew.

Old 05-27-2007, 03:15 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Location: Melbourne, Australia, the World's most liveable city!
One I remember from years ago was to sew buttons onto toddlers overalls etc with sherring elastic. Much easier for the littlies to manoeuver and there will be fewer 'lost' buttons.

Don't keep pins in a magnetic container or on a magnet. It's so frustrating to want one pin and pick up 10!

I know there are many more stored in the back of the brain - will let you know them when I remember them!

"Love people, not things.
Use things, not people"
Old 05-27-2007, 04:05 PM
Assistant Moderator

Lynne
I think the magnets are the best thing since sliced bread, you drop a pin or two and you just hold the magnet and they are all picked up, no stragglers. My magnet was my best buy!

Old 05-27-2007, 04:08 PM
Four Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I used to sew every thing by hand even dresses and meny more items until about 4 years when my hubby got me a sewing machine and some times I still do it by handas thats the way I was raised but now I do use the machine more often due to the arthritis in my handsLOL Bunny

Old 05-27-2007, 05:24 PM
Nine Year Member

I use buttonhole thread for sewing on buttons and I also sew the button on with a pin between it and the fabric to make a longer shank. I remove the pin once the button is sewn on. And I wrap the thread around the sewing to make a little thread shank.

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 07-21-2008, 07:42 PM
Assistant Moderator

To keep cottons and bobbins together thread a rubber band through the spool hole of the bobbin then loop the 2 ends around the main larger cotton reel.

Old 10-13-2008, 02:01 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Threading a Needle*

Threading a sewing needle can be a challenge as our eyes get older..So here is a trick I learned, and I can use it on my sewing machine needle or for hand sewing.

Spray hairspray on the tip of the thread to stiffen it. This makes it much easier to thread the needle.

Janet