FamilyCorner.com Forums

FamilyCorner.com Forums (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/)
-   Crafty Corner (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/crafty-corner/)
-   -   durable but not expensive sewing machine (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/crafty-corner/1940-durable-but-not-expensive-sewing-machine.html)

ivalines 06-03-2002 06:54 PM

durable but not expensive sewing machine

I am looking for a durable but not expensive sewing machine. I had a sewing machine that bit the dust recently. I had been using it to make costumes for a community theatre group. Does anyone have a recommendation?::-):: :-:

aubry 06-06-2002 05:23 AM

Hi,
Try checking your local Walmart or Ames if you have them. They always very reasonable priced sewing machines. I bought mine at Ames for under $100. If is a Singer and is pretty basic, but does have a couple fancy stitches, perfect for the moderate sewer like me. They do usually carry both Singers and Brothers. Brand names, but lower end machines. I have been very pleased with mine. Hope this helps!:daisy:

drummerKate 06-06-2002 06:37 PM

Affordable Sewing Machine

It sounds as though you use your sewing machine on a regular basis. First I would recommend that if there is anyway that you can afford one of the better brands such as a Bernina, Viking, Elna, or Janome I would do it. I just got a Bernina Virtuosa last year and it is worth every penny I paid for it. If that is out of the question, I would go to your local sewing machine store that sells used machines. Make sure it is a store that repairs machines on site. I bought my serger used for $150 from my local sewing machine store and they warranted it for 1 year and I was able to ask them questions about it, and take it in if I had any problems. Because they were the ones who serviced it. I felt more confident in buying it. Just some thoughts.

Bronwyn 06-07-2002 04:01 AM

Durable but not expensive sewing machine

Hi Ivalines
It sounds like you do a fair amount of sewing - my recommendation would be one of the Bernina or Bernette sewing machines. If the cost of a new one is prohibitive - try asking the dealer for a second hand trade-in. Often these are available and in good condition, as many sewers tend to upgrade machines as they come out rather than on need to replace a broken/old machine.
Goodluck and happy sewing.
Bronwyn

kasparcat 06-07-2002 09:16 AM

About 15 years ago, my old and well-used Singer died, and I went shopping to buy a new one. I got a brand i'd never heard of before that, a Riccar. It's all metal, NOTHING every breaks, it needs very little maintenance, and it is a total workhorse. I have sewn several sets of upholstery slipcovers, wardrobes for two kids and a lot of stuff for myself, my preschool class, my Girl Scout troop, the Cub scouts, my kids' classes, Halloween Costumes, and decorated 3 homes. In addition, my husband used to be a drama teacher for 7 years and borrowed my machine for the teens to make costumes. I drew arrows for threading in green enamal paintpens. With all that usage, it has been an exceptional purchase. Riccar machines are very sturdy, like I said all-metal, and it's survived hell and back, and still working. I don't use things like fancy embroidery and such, but I do need something that will stitch blue jeans and welted hems and other heavy-duty stuff, and it's great. I haven't seen Riccars advertised much, only have seen them for sale at vacuum/sewing machine repair places. When we moved here and I brought it in for a tune-up, the repair shop said they sell quite a few Riccars but they rarely get them in for repairs and never for trade-ins, it's a good solid machine. I don't remember what I paid, but it was very reasonable.

Rani

missime 06-08-2002 07:50 AM

affordable sewing machines

I found a very high end machine brand new worth well over $500 in a sewing machine repair shop for $150. It has lasted me 4 yrs so far. I make alot of curtains, machine quilts, and other simple things.

ivalines 06-11-2002 06:07 AM

These are all really great ideas. I will definitely check out the sewing machine repair store for a used one.

bettdev 06-11-2002 06:58 AM

When mine died a few years back, i checked out sears. they usually have "reconditioned" machines on the sales floor @ a good price. I found one that had been purchased a month earlier, and returned by the lady. Nothing wrong w/it...she just didn't use it much. Anyway they couldn't sell it as new, so i paid about $150.00.......for a $250.00 machine.^^

SuzyQ 06-11-2002 06:32 PM

My parents purchased my Elna SU (now discountinued) from a pawn shop. Its great! Its another place to get a great machine for a great price!

Like others said, we knew it could be serviced locally. It was fancy stitches that I don't use, but works great for all the basic sewing!

cat lover 04-02-2015 01:21 AM

bump