Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Crafty Corner If you are creative, love to knit or crochet, paint, or just enjoy making fun stuff with your kids, this is the forum for you.

Old 02-09-2007, 09:54 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Mystery theme crafts

Our Summer reading program is about mysteries this year. I have some ideas for crafts, but am looking for any "new" ideas. I work with the 3-5 year group, but we have an older group too. I know there are some crafty ladies out there with fresh ideas.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:15 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Lunatic

How about an Animal Hunt...Hide inexpensive plastic or stuffed animals in the house or outside...Make cowhide buckets from margarine containers...paint the containers black with white spots to look like cow hide...add rope for handles...give each child a cowhide bucket to put their found animals in...

T-shirt painting...allow kids to be creative with paints and t-shirts...Allow them to paint animals,flowers,boats or let their imagination flow...

A Ziploc Aquarium...
You will need-
Ziploc bag
Oatmeal
Different color fish stickers or fish cut outs
Glue
Blue Construction Paper

1.Cut Blue Construction Paper the size of the Ziploc
2.Have child choose how many and what color fish he or she wants and glue onto construction paper
3.Put in Ziploc and add oatmeal for sand on the bottom of the aquarium.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:41 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Thanks for the ideas Theresa.
I really like the Animal Hunt one. I did something similar with plastic eggs and a dinosaur theme a few years back. The kids loved it and I think I might use your idea and do it again.
Old 02-12-2007, 01:58 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Lunatic

Joy glad you liked the idea of the Animal Hunt...If you need any stuffed bears let me know...I have lots of them...they are mostly Ty Beanie Baby Bears...Hugs
Old 02-12-2007, 03:21 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Theresa, last year our theme was animals. We had people donate Beanie Babies which we tagged and bagged with a journal and then checked out to the kids as an adopt a pet. They were suppose to either write, draw a picture or include a photo about what they did with their pet in the journal. It was really fun and the kids loved taking different pets home. I have a a bunch of animals just waiting to be hidden for the Hunt. Thanks anyway.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:53 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Lunatic

Joy...what about a Scavenger Hunt for the older kids...
Old 02-13-2007, 05:56 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Theresa, I did that this fall with an older group of kids. They loved it. We live in a small community and I enlisted people around town to help me out. The kids were given a list of items to collect and a clue to lead them to places around town. At each place they would recieve a new clue (codes or riddles) that eventually brought them back to the library. I am thinking about making it an annual event since the kids had so much fun.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:08 PM

I think the zipper bag aquarium idea is great. If school is cancelled again tomorrow that just might be the ticket to keep the girls busy for a while.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:19 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Here some of the ideas that I am going to be using with the 3-5 yr old group.

ID badges-- (Both the younger and older group are doing this). I have a pre-printed pattern with a place for a picture and a fingerprint. We will be using a digital camera and take small groups of kids (3 -4 per pic) and then crop their heads out for the id pic. The kids can add their fingerprint and signature. We will laminate them, punch a hole in one end and then attatch a string/yarn so they can be worn to each library event throughout the program.

TP Binoculars --Using two toilet paper rolls, glue them together to form the binoculars. I am going to use colored plastic food wrap ( probably two different colors for fun) and rubberband a square of plastic wrap over the one end of each tube. Punch holes on the other end of the tubes along the side so you can attatch a string or yarn so the binoculars can be worn around the child's neck. I will let each child decorate their binoculars however they like.

Fingerprint pictures -- Using washable ink, make several of the child's fingerprints on a blank sheet of paper. Then let your imagination go and turn the fingerprints into animals, people, faces or whatever you can think of. I usually have several examples done so the kids can see some of the possibilities there are.

Nate the Great detective hats-- I found a great pattern on the internet for a Nate the Great detective hat. I am printing them on cardstock. The kids can color them and then they will be cut out and hatbands stapled on so everyone can wear their hat. The pattern and other printable activities are available at www.randomhouse.com/teachers/pdf/nateactivities.pdf

I Spy books--We are planning to make several I Spy type books with collage pages made by the children. Each child will be make a collage page using old magazine and catolog pictures. We will laminate the pages and using a hole punch and some old three ring binders create books that will kept at the library for the kids to enjoy. We will doing this project with all age groups.

I am also creating a I Spy bulliten board for the library, using pictures and small 3-D objects. We will use the bulliten board to play a I spy guessing game throughout the summer. The children will have an opportunity to win small prizes for finding the hidden objects.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:52 AM
Mystery Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

How about a "Who Done It" theme.Have clues hidden in different places.Give each child a list of the different people or places or animals involved and from the clues they try to figure out who or what the Mystery is.

To return to the Guess Who Game or learn how to play this fun game click here!

Who is our Mystery Guest this week? Take a guess!
click here to submit your guess!
Please remember to submit only one guess per day. Thanks!