Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Crafty Corner If you are creative, love to knit or crochet, paint, or just enjoy making fun stuff with your kids, this is the forum for you.

Old 01-19-2007, 10:34 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Big Grin Newbie to sewing has some ?'s

O.kay, I have been really interested in learning how to sew for awhile. I bought a sewing machine (Singer 1116) and of course I have no clue on sewing talk, how to use, etc. It does have a manual to it but I was wanting to know if there was any great books or dvd's on learning how to sew and use for newbies. And also I want to make seat cushions so if there is any books, dvd's that can help me in that area to it would be greatly appreciated. I know I am probably jumping in over my head but I now have the time to concentrate on this and I am hoping you guys can help. I have tried to look for sewing classes or workshops but I live in a rinky dink blink your eyes and miss it town so again thank you lovely ladies for the help in advance.

Thank ya bunches,
April
Old 01-20-2007, 04:25 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I moved this post to the Crafts forum so that the "experts" who hang out there can help you
Old 01-20-2007, 04:15 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

If you get a chance to take a sewing class, go for it! The class will help familiarize you with sewing and may even give you some pointers. When you first start sewing, start with something easy such as shorts, pillow, or a summer dress. Look for something that has no buttons, zippers, collars, and so on. You just want to learn the basic act of sewing. I started out when I was a kid and a teen. I took a sewing class when I was in Girl Scouts and again when I was in high school. I would suggest that you look into colleges, especially the 2 year type as they should have sewing classes. Craft stores and fabric stores may also know where you can go to take a sewing class.

You will love sewing as it is very fullfilling to make things for yourself and others. Good luck!
Old 01-20-2007, 06:45 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Some stores when you buy a machine will offer classes on the basics......you need to learn how to thread your machine and how to adjust the tension. Read through the book.......It is really quite easy to learn to operate the machine and then like DeBora said sew something simple. I took sewing classes at junior high school for 1 year and the rest I have self taught myself. I am no expert but can follow most patterns. Readers Digest has a sewing book and I am sure if you go to the library they would have one...I bet there is a dummy book for sewers.

Hugs Debbie

Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 01-20-2007, 06:54 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

Quote:
I am no expert but can follow most patterns.
DebK, I have seen some of the stuff that you have sewn and you could fool me at the expert business. lol

Quote:
I bet there is a dummy book for sewers.

I bet you are right. They have a dummies book for everything else.

Old 01-20-2007, 07:01 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Thanks DeBora ....I do like to sew when time permits but it could be better if I took the time to learn more. I guess I have not not done to bad for teaching myself. I have great motivators in my kids....LOL

Hugs debbie

Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 01-26-2007, 08:14 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

April, Try where ever you buy your fabric. They usually know the women who come in for fabric. And, they might know someone who can help you out. Also, try the local highschool, the home-ec (boy am I old,LOL) can give you some advice. You might not be the only person in your 'blink of an eye' town that needs the infomation. If there is an LDS Church in your area, they are really big on sewing,etc. They have taught many in the towns that I have lived in. Good luck! Have fun, too.
Old 01-26-2007, 12:45 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Happy face Thank You

I am really thankful for all of you guys help. I will be heading to the bookstore next week and thanks for the suggestions. I will let everybody know how it goes.

April