Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Crafty Corner If you are creative, love to knit or crochet, paint, or just enjoy making fun stuff with your kids, this is the forum for you.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 4.83 average.
Old 06-08-2002, 07:21 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Snort! That's me too. My craft room is under construction, has it's final coat of paint, I still need to paint the baseboards tho. Then my work benches will finally get installed and I'll have a craft room. Oh and of course the carpet *sigh*

Could be another month before I finally get in there! Maybe I'll just save my self the aggrivation and just paint splatter the walls and be done with it

HAHAHAHA

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 06-08-2002, 07:16 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Question

Amanda, do you paint the writing on your jars? Is there some kind of pen that could be used? I don't think I could get the writing that thin. Any tips?

PS Your jars are great!
Old 06-08-2002, 07:31 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

The pens I use are called "Micron fine line design and journaling pens". I bought a pack of six, there is black, purple, blue, green, red and brown.

I also use paint pens when thicker lines are ok.

Thanks for the compliments!! I could never get writing that fine with a paint brush either LOL

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 06-09-2002, 06:10 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Writing on jars

I use a liner brush, but the pens sound great. Will have to get some of those!
Old 06-09-2002, 06:32 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I used to use a liner brush too, but these pens are soooo much nicer! I got mine at Joann's website.

To see the ones I am talking about click here then search on "micron". The second one listed: ".05 Pigma Micron Set of 6 Assorted" is the one I bought

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 06-15-2002, 04:49 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

painting the lid section of the jar?

I have a question for all you jar painters out there. Normally when I have been painting these jars, I have painted the glass all the way to the top, including the neck of the jar where the lid screws on. But these are jars that I have not been including the lid with. I would like to make some where I can put candy inside and screw the lid on. But if I paint that part it will get all rubbed off twisting the lid on and off won't it?? Wouldn't it look silly if I left that portion unpainted? I figured I would glue a fabric bow around the lid rim and screw it on, but not sure to do about the glass rim.

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 06-15-2002, 05:12 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Jar Rims

I really don't think there's anything that can be done about the paint getting scraped off around the rim, if you use a lid. I have made jars for storing things in, and yes the paint does get scraped off, when you take the lid off. I would like opinions and suggestions too.
Have you ever painted jugs? Like old glass vinegar jugs? I had a jug that I found, and I painted half of it dark blue, then speckled it with white, and the bottom half antique white, and speckled it with dark blue. On the bottom half, I painted an american flag with the words to the Pledge of Allegiance written on it. It looks so neat! The jug had a cap to it, an old metal cap, and I painted it red. Im sitting here looking at it now. I have it sitting in a special place here in my living room.
This painting jars and jugs, is ADDICTING! LOL! But I love doing it!
Old 06-15-2002, 05:53 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Oh I would LOVE to see a picture of that jug, it sounds so cool!

As for the rims, I wonder if I painted the inside of the rim if it that would work? It would probably make it less noticable, yet it wouldn't rub off the paint. Thoughts?

My next project is a primitive angel holding a heart with the phrase "the key to my heart is chocolate" It think it would be a perfect gift filled with hershey kisses or other individually wrapped chocolates! This is the one I am thinking of using a lid on.

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 06-15-2002, 07:35 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

jar rims

YES! Painting the inside of the rims might work! In fact, I bet it will. (why didn't I think of that?) lol!

I went out to see my daughter today, and saw the jar I painted for her a couple of years ago. I forgot I had painted that. It was a long jar (I have no idea what was in it at one time or where I got it at the time, but I liked the size). Anyway, I had painted it that cream color, and then painted an angel on it, all dressed up in flag colors with stars and stripes on her dress. Underneath I had painted the words, "American Angel". She was holding a small flag.
I think your idea about the angel with the chocolate kisses, and the phrase that you chose to go along with it, is wonderful! I have ideas running through my mind now like crazy! I think it's time to get my paints and jars out and get going!
I want to say that I just love this message board! (Have I already said that? lol!) Im so excited about painting jars again, that Im writing down ideas all through the day. And when I go to bed at night, my mind is working overtime with images and phrases to paint on jars, jugs, actually anything that will sit still long enough! Have you ever crackled a jar? I have done several and it's a different look, but charming. I love to use crackle medium on lots of things.
Well, it's time to look through some country magazines now. Those give me lots of ideas, how about you?
Old 06-16-2002, 05:06 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Hi Crissy

So glad your creative juices are flowing again! I have crackled several things, but never a jar, hadn't even thought of that. Thanks for the idea! I love using crackle too, it's so cool. Something else I have here is that stone looking stuff. Can't think of the name right now, but it's gray and you paint it on and it looks like stone. I also have snow paint which I love at Christmas time! I see lots of Santa and Snowman jars coming this winter LOL

I love the magazines too, lots if ideas in there!

Here's the one I was worried about the rim on. I decided to just leave it plain. I MAY paint the inside of the rim, haven't totally decided yet. I am going to fill this one with something chocolate (Hershey's Kisses, Treasures, Reese's PB cups, something like that) and give it to a friend of mine for her birthday. The only thing I messed up on was the word "chocolate", it slanted upward :p

I would love to see a pic of that American Angel, it sounds so cute!!
Attached Images

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda