Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Crafty Corner If you are creative, love to knit or crochet, paint, or just enjoy making fun stuff with your kids, this is the forum for you.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 4.83 average.
Old 11-04-2002, 11:28 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Halloween jars!!!

LISA--Those jars were great. I am sure that any one who receiving them was happy with them. Did you paint the designs on or put them on with some other method? What ever you did it was a good job and did show up good on my computer too. Now you will have to do some for Thanksgiving. Bye Marian in ND
Old 11-04-2002, 11:28 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi Lisa

Those jars are pretty cute! Let us know if you get any feedback from them.

I have been following this post since the beginning and have tried painting a few jars or two. I don't have a scanner or digital camera so I won't be posting any I try out.

I am no where near an artist as everyone here is, so I think I will pick up a few stencils and make a jar for everyone on my christmas list.

Keep up the good work everyone

prariegirl
Old 11-04-2002, 12:30 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Amanda--

I was wondering if you ever thought of painting your designs on those ceramic candle shades like you can get from Yankee Candle. I have a couple of them, but I really think your designs would put any of those to shame. I just know how popular candles are during the gift giving season and I really think you would have a popular item if you decided to design your own. I have never seen undecorated shades out there, but then again I haven't really looked!! Just an idea for ya!!

Jenn
Old 11-04-2002, 12:44 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Marian~
Did you paint the designs on or put them on with some other method?

I just painted them on freehand. I kind of surprised myself because I am generally not good at painting freehand. I typically need solid lines to follow! LOL!!

I got a mixed reaction from the person's receiving them. I bought some glow sticks and handed those out to the kids and then told them the jar was for their parents. Some of them thought it was great and got excited and others looked at me like I was crazy. I hope to see a response but we don't get a lot of trick-or-treaters so I only handed out 13 of them and gave a couple others to friends.

I hadn't even thought about Thanksgiving ones! My mind skipped straight to Christmas but that is a great idea. We will be having Thanksgiving with my husband's family and a lot of them I rarely see so giving out the jars would be a great idea for talking about my business. ;-) Thanks!

(Does anyone else just LOVE emoticons?)
Old 11-04-2002, 04:59 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

jars

Hey prariegirl!!! I found these cool rub ons at wallmart and they look like hand painting and I have to check the craft stores and I am sure that they will have a better selection....Anywho I did the Dragonfly ones on jars with clamp lids for my bathroom....they are awesome....I use them to hold my schrunchies and cotton balls and those really small clips....I also used them on those qtips box and they were adorable just a suggestion!!!

Heather
Attached Images

Old 11-04-2002, 05:08 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Pinkie Winky Jar Candles

Hey Lisa I have a question?????? Have you ever made Jar Candles? I started but have only done the basic ones and I would like to gather some ideas so if you or anyone has a recipe I would greatly appreciate it!!!!TIA!!!!!!! Also I want to make a potpouri candle with theleaves in it but how do I get them to stay on the outside and not in the burn radius??? Any hints tips or suggestions?????? TIA TIA TIA Heather
Attached Images

Old 11-04-2002, 10:40 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

heddyp~
No, I have never done candles. It is something I would like to try in the future but I have too many hobbies right now and dh has absolutely forbidden me from buying supplies for a new one! Hee Hee! I'm sure there are lots of people on the boards who do those that would love to give ya' a hand.

Good luck!

Lisa
Old 11-05-2002, 05:41 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Lightbulb suggestion when using stencils

hello to everyone.

just a quick suggestion.
a few replys back-prairiegirl mentioned not being artistically inclined and said maybe she would try stencils-

well, a few years back, when i first started using stencils-
i painted a pretty wood cutting board hunter green, then stenciled a heart border shape with doves on the top and then hand painted (could use a paint pen now) my husbands and my name on it and our wedding date for our anniversary. it did look "stenciled" -so- i simply took a brush and free handed a little of the ivory paint i used for the stencil, around the edges of the stenciled heart and doves- and voila-it looked hand painted.

this also reminds me that this pattern would look cute on a mayo jar painted with a tea candle on top for a anniversary present for friends and family, or perhaps for christmas gift with the couples name and date or the whole family's names and the date you gave the gift.

hope this helps out anyone hesitant to try free hand painting-i guarantee once you try it-you'll catch on quick. also there are wonderful, inexpensive books with color pictures on how to tole paint and free info all over the internet of course

everyone have a great day, and dont be afraid to try something new-you might be the next "Michaelangelo " and not even realize it.
sincerely-sheila ann anderson
Old 12-03-2002, 05:11 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Amanda, Any new creations in Jars? If so, please post.

janet
Old 12-03-2002, 06:56 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Well Janet, since you asked ....

I have done a few since then I think. The last one I posted was the church bottle. I just recently finished this cardinal jar, it's upside down because it's one of those mason jars that sits on a chicken feeder.
Attached Images