Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Crafty Corner If you are creative, love to knit or crochet, paint, or just enjoy making fun stuff with your kids, this is the forum for you.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 4.83 average.
Old 10-12-2002, 04:55 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Here's my latest

This one is a custom order. I'm always a little nervous when I do customs because they don't actually get to see the design until it's done. This one was ordered for a Bar & Grill (obviously LOL)
Attached Images

Old 10-13-2002, 09:36 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hi Amanda. I had seen all your jars before but this is the first time I had found this thread. I think you are too cool to be sharing your wonderful talent with others! Most people in business don't want to give out their "secrets". I made my first attempt at jar painting right before school. It was a back to school pencil holder for my ds made from a baby food jar. I will have to snag it from him tomorrow so I can bring it home and post a picture.

I have a couple questions. First, where did you get your overcoat to protect the paint? I looked for some at Michael's and it was terribly expensive. There must be somewhere out there to get it more economically. Second, how do you get your design on to the jar? Do you just freehand it or do you have some sort of transfer technique after you get it on paper? Third, (and this one is subjective) I was hoping to start painting baby food jars and put them on my custom gift website. From your experience, and if my painting goes well , what do you think would be a fair price for the jars if I filled them with something or put a candle in them?

I appreciate any help you offer. You are too cool!
Old 10-14-2002, 11:31 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Lightbulb

Hi all! I just thought up an advertising idea for those of you who are selling your jar crafts. It may not work for ya' but I thought I'd share it anyway. For Halloween, I am going to use baby food jars and paint some mini Halloween scenes, fill them with candy corn, attach my business card, and hand them out to the trick-or-treaters. What do you all think?? Is that too tacky?
Old 10-14-2002, 08:10 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Hey, that sounds like a great idea for getting your name out there with your business. I knew a Dentist that used to give out toothbrushes with his name on them.

janet
Old 10-15-2002, 08:00 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Hi Lisa! See below!

Quote:
Originally posted by Lisa Fields
I think you are too cool to be sharing your wonderful talent with others! Most people in business don't want to give out their "secrets".

Thank you Lisa! I think that's one of the biggest mistakes that crafters can make. When people like your designs enough, chances are they will purchase your patterns if you offer them for sale (which is why I do). Offering inspiration to other crafters is a marvelous feeling. I don't put huge restrictions on my patterns like some crafters do. The only thing I prohibit is mass production of my designs by gift companies (i.e. the made in Japan type stuff) and I don't want anyone underselling me on my jar designs. For example if someone buys one of my patterns, they are welcome to paint the pattern onto a jar or any other surface they want and sell those. BUT they can't sell the completed jars on the internet for less than what I sell a completed jar for. But to prohibit anything else isn't fair to the crafter. After all, they buy the patterns to create projects and try to make money at craft fairs etc. Too much info? LOL

Quote:
I made my first attempt at jar painting right before school. It was a back to school pencil holder for my ds made from a baby food jar. I will have to snag it from him tomorrow so I can bring it home and post a picture.
PLEASE DO!

Quote:
I have a couple questions. First, where did you get your overcoat to protect the paint? I looked for some at Michael's and it was terribly expensive. There must be somewhere out there to get it more economically.
I have used a couple of different things. I prefer the acrylic matte sealer spray. You can get it at craft stores, but be sure to check WalMart's craft section too, their prices are always better. You can also buy a polyurethane paint on finish. You can get it in small cans or gallon size cans from anywhere like Walmart, Kmart, and Home Depot. It is more cost effective, BUT it ruins your brushes and if not done carefully, will leave brush marks in the finish. I find the spray to be much easier and worth the money, but that's just my humble opinion.

Quote:
Second, how do you get your design on to the jar? Do you just freehand it or do you have some sort of transfer technique after you get it on paper?
Most of my work is freehand. I usually draw out what I want on paper first. Then I just look at the picture and use a white paint pen to sketch the outline of the design on, then I just paint from there. On some designs though, I use graphite paper (comes in black and white) to transfer the pattern on. You place the drawing over the top of the graphite paper and trace it with a pen or a stylus. Then carefully remove the graphite paper and your pattern should be there to paint over. I have heard there's a way to transfer patterns with chalk dust, but I'm not the traditional tole painter and have never taken any classes, so I don't know how this is done.

Quote:
Third, (and this one is subjective) I was hoping to start painting baby food jars and put them on my custom gift website. From your experience, and if my painting goes well , what do you think would be a fair price for the jars if I filled them with something or put a candle in them?
This is always a hard question. You didn't specify which size of baby food jar, but I'm assuming you mean the larger ones. It also depends the extent of painting that you do. If you don't basecoat it and just paint a design on the front, that's less work than basecoating and painting over it. It also depends on WHAT you put inside. If you put Hershey's Kisses inside as opposed to dollar store candy, it will cost you more. Standard practice would dictate that you take the cost of your material plus the cost of your time (this you will have to determine an hourly rate) and double or even triple it. If I were to basecoat and paint a simple toll painted design on such jars and fill them with dollar store candy, I would probably charge $8? I don't really know for sure, it would all depend on the design and the time involved.

Quote:
I appreciate any help you offer. You are too cool!
I hope some of this helped, sorry it was so long!!
Old 10-15-2002, 06:40 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Christmas Tree Bottle

I made this from a frosted wine bottle. It was nice to not have to base coat something for once LOL It was my first attempt at pine trees and I was surprised at how easy they are!
Attached Images

Old 10-15-2002, 08:37 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Wow, Amanda!!! That bottle is absolutely stunning! I bet your heart just wants to squeal with excitement when you create something like that! How much will you be selling it for?

Well, after seeing the frosted bottle I am almost embarrased to post this picture but I said I would so....here goes! (Remember, this was my very first attempt at jar painting!)

P.S. I had to put it on the scanner...you know how that goes.
Attached Images

Old 10-15-2002, 08:42 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Me again! LOL I forgot to thank you, Amanda, for the advice you gave me on the previous page. It was a tremendous amount of help. I will have to try to find a paint pen and some graphite paper. Also the prices on the jars...I was think around $6.95 so we are pretty close to the same ball park. I never thought about you needing so much info! I do appreciate you giving it some thought. I am making some for Halloween to fill with Hershey's kisses and pass out to the kids so I will post a picture when I get them done.

Thanks again!
Old 10-16-2002, 03:47 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Lisa Fields
I am making some for Halloween to fill with Hershey's kisses and pass out to the kids so I will post a picture when I get them done.
Oh I forgot to comment on that idea! I thought that was great, I just don't have access to lots of baby food jars (YAY! LOL). Can't wait to see them!

I think your back to school jar is great! Be sure to share any others you have!
Old 10-16-2002, 03:09 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Pinkie Winky Jar gift for Baby

Ok Ladies I am new to this site but I love your ideas and admire your talent!!!! I NEED to find some jars FAST!!!! You are an Inspiration to all of us wannabees!!! I have an idea for the baby jars I think you could put a cute phrase on the outside and inside fill with Baby items such as a thermometor or baby wash cloths trial size lotion and baby wash Tiny clippers or something along those lines??!!! Just a suggestion!!!

Heddy