Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Crafty Corner If you are creative, love to knit or crochet, paint, or just enjoy making fun stuff with your kids, this is the forum for you.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 4.83 average.
Old 06-02-2002, 08:27 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Lightbulb decorating jars,bottles,boxes etc.

hello to everyone.

i love to paint and decorate oval wood boxes with lids. they are kind of expensive to purchase at the craft store- so i tried using plastic bottles (sunlight dishsoap pump), and plan on trying to use empty vitamin bottles and decorate for christmas ornaments. i also thought about using baby food jars-but worry the weight will be too heavy to hang on the christmas tree.

how i decorated my boxes-you could do the same on the bottles.
i first painted the box gold. then i took 1 inch printed fabric ribbon( that comes on the spools)-and decopaged onto the side of the box with elmers glue mixed with a little water. then i took a pretty angel wallpaper border and cut out the angels and quotes and added to the top of the box with the glue and decopaged over it to protect. then i took pretty navy lace trim and glued it to the lid edge .
turned out gorgeous. i am thinking of eventually opening up a little crafts,antiques,and gourmet candy store in the future and probably will make these to sell. they are so pretty and make practical gifts filled with herb tea bags or gourmet truffles etc.

the soap dispenser- i just covered with the 1 inch ribbon 3 times around and it looks sooooo pretty on my kitchen sink. i just covered it thoroughly with elmers glue by brushing it on a couple coats and it still looks great dispite a little water splashes on it sometimes. the only thing you want to make sure of- is dont use ribbon that isnt color fast- i covered my bottle the first time with a pretty scene printed 2 inch fabric ribbon and couldn't cover it with elmers glue because the colors would bleed and little splashes of water also made the color fade out of the ribbon.
(live and learn-might as well try though-you never know what gorgeous creations you can make if you never try-look at Amanda's bottles- they are sooo cute!)
Amanda- i plan on trying your painting techniques soon on a wine bottle and sticking taper candles in the top of them. i will probably use a kitchen fruit motif by stamping various fruits on it with those chunky foam sponges-cost only $1 each at walmart!!!!!!!what a great gift and only costs are the stamps and acrylic paint!!!!!
AMANDA-by the way =thanks for putting out such great ideas and such a wonderful website and newsletters!!!!!!!!
sincerely-sheila ann anderson
Old 06-03-2002, 05:49 AM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thanks for the cute idea. I just did a thorough cleaning in DS's room and found so much change laying around. He is 19 so doesn't have a piggy bank. I was looking for something to put his change in and remembered I had just thrown out a plastic Jiff Peanut Butter Jar. So I took it out of the trash, washed it and removed the label. The top is red so I took white sweatshirt string (had tons I had gotten somewhere) and put glue on the top 3/4 of the jar and started winding the string until I got to the bottom where it starts to taper. Then I painted the bottom with Blue. After that I painted blue stars onto the white rope here & there and painted, Trey's Loot on the lid. Also cut a slot in the lid. It turned out really cute!

http://<br /> http://www.grassfire....sp?PID=2193974

The ACLU recently filed a federal lawsuit to force Roy Moore to
remove the Ten Commandments from the Alabama Supreme Court
building -- the latest effort to strip the Ten Commandments
from public life.
http://<br /> http://www.grassfire....sp?PID=2197287

Old 06-04-2002, 09:27 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I paint jars! Love these ideas!

Hello, my name is Crissy. Im new here, and SO glad I found this forum! I have been painting jars for about a year now. I sold some at a garage sale, and made some pretty good money at it. I love doing this! Im going to make the Valentine Candle Jar today. I think it's just beautiful! I use to use acrylic paint for the base coats, then switched to latex paint (indoor/outdoor), then even tried spray paint! All of them work so well. I thank you for the pictures of your jars, Amanda. They are an inspiration to me. Don't y'all just love crafting??!!
Old 06-04-2002, 10:52 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I'm glad to see more jar crafters here today! I would love to see your work if you are able to get some pictures online!

I did this one yesterday, it's my first real attempt at "real" painting, instead of the standard country tole type painting. I did this freehand by looking at a vase of subflowers sitting on my table My digital camera is out of service, so I had to put it on the scanner, sorry for the pic not being that great
Attached Images

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 06-04-2002, 11:11 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Love all these cute jars--don't know where I would use them as my husband doesn't like candles. Does anybody use these to store food products in or anything like that. I could see using them that way (or is the paint on the inside?) Let me know. Oh and I love sunflowers and yours looks great!
Old 06-04-2002, 01:34 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Your "attempt" is a success!

You did a wonderful job on that jar, Amanda! You said it was your first "attempt" at "real" painting. My you are talented! I would love to see more pictures of everybody's jars. This really does interest me!
Old 06-04-2002, 06:14 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Oh Amanda I LOVE the Sunflower!! You are so talented I could NEVER paint anything free style like that! Going to get me some jars from the junkie store!
Old 06-04-2002, 06:30 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I loved all the jars. Especially the laundry loot one. But I gotta say the sunflower jar is my favorite. I wish That I could paint/draw good enough to do that. But ~sigh~ i will just have to make due with a magazine cutout and decoupage it on.

Peggy
Old 06-04-2002, 06:54 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

love it!!

love the jars. Now I cant wait to do one. I didnt see the valentine one, where is it at? Great thing to make for gifts and every holiday. I am an avid cross stitcher and branching out into other things now. I am doing my kids scrapbooks. So many fun things to do and not enough time. (especially with 3 little ones) My theme for xmas this year is to have everything home made...lol... so far doing good. Will make a few jars now also. thanks for sharing....
Old 06-05-2002, 05:38 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Valentine Jar

You know what? I don't know where it was that I saw the Valentine Jar. I do know I printed it out and at the top of the page it just says Kitchen & Home/Crafts/Valentine Jar. I don't even know how I got there now. I do know that you need craft glue to glue the old bits of cream colored material on the jar first. It's neat! Im sure that Amanda can tell you how to get there and look at it. (Im still learning about computers and not real literate on directing people to different things! lol!):p