Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Crafty Corner If you are creative, love to knit or crochet, paint, or just enjoy making fun stuff with your kids, this is the forum for you.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 4.83 average.
Old 08-10-2002, 03:56 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Amanda--$15 sounds like the price to put on vases if I get any more done for a craft fair sometime. You are right about a lot of craft people not asking enough for their work!

I did my vase design freehand too. In fact, I had not planned to have so many flowers on it, but I got going and ended up with gaps that needed to be filled in! :p Some of my designs may end up similar to things I have seen, but I think they will also have their own personal touch that would make them my own. We'll see!

As far as sealing things I paint, I used spray sealer on the vase. Should I do 2 coats or what?

That first lighthouse is awesome, especially comparing it to the picture you used to paint from. I can't wait to see the 2nd lighthouse jar now! The curly jute is an excellent idea instead of a bow, and the sand dollar and shells too! I have never seen "curly" jute.
Old 08-10-2002, 04:48 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

64squares I finally got to see your vase. It is lovely. I can't believe it is your first time to paint those flowers. You did a fantastic job! when I finish with my clay por things and all the other things that I have planned for the boutique then I am going to get the book and all so I can learn to paint kind of like that.

I think you should sell them for no less than $15. If you were selling them at our boutique I think I would suggest $17.50 or $18. It is better to put a price on your things that reflects your self confidence in your work because people will pay a higher price if they feel you respect your work. I used to put low prices on because I was afraid people would not pay what I thought they were worth and they never sold very well. Now I put what I feel they really are worth and my things aways sell well.

Good luck in what you do.

A friend is one to whom one may pour out all the contents of one's heart, chaff and grain together, knowing that gentle hands will take and sift it, keep what is worth keeping and, with a breath of kindness, blow the rest away.
Old 08-10-2002, 04:52 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Amanda that light house is great. You do awsome work!!!

A friend is one to whom one may pour out all the contents of one's heart, chaff and grain together, knowing that gentle hands will take and sift it, keep what is worth keeping and, with a breath of kindness, blow the rest away.
Old 08-10-2002, 08:30 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Amanda, another great jar! Wow there are no ends to your talent! Have you ever thought of teaching classes for $$$. ?

janet
Old 08-10-2002, 08:52 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by 64squares
As far as sealing things I paint, I used spray sealer on the vase. Should I do 2 coats or what?
I do 3 coats of spray sealer on my jars

stitcher and janet, thank you!! I actually uploaded a revised photo if you look above. I added the little soldier bricks at the top of the lighthouse, I somehow forgot them when I did it the first time. :-P

Here's the other custom lighthouse jar. This one is in North Carolina. Here's the photo I used as an inspiration, but I added sunset type sky instead http://www.harbourlights.com/lighthouses/hatteras/

Jar pic below! It has black raffia and a rusty tin button.
Attached Images

Old 08-10-2002, 09:22 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Boy the lighthouses are cool!!! There are so many around the country so people can look for one from their area. We try to visit lighthouses whenever we travel. I love the one called Split Rock Lighthouse in Minnesota....of course I never seen a lighthouse I didn't like! lol
Where do you come up with all your ideas??? Is the creative brain never at rest??? I bet you even dream about what you can paint next too, hey???

You're the best!

janet
Old 08-10-2002, 09:32 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Really great Amanda

Old 08-10-2002, 11:11 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Another great one, Amanda!! No big surprise there! I especially like the sky colors and the waves crashing. You certainly keep yourself busy! What are you going to be working on next? You must be painting jars ALL the time! :p

Tonight I tried painting on a mirror to see if it could be done. It worked fine, and I thought I would try sealing it even though I did not know if it would work. I sprayed it a bit, and then took some Oops! (r) remover to try getting off the sealer from where I did not want it. It looks OK, but I think next time I would either not seal it at all (which I hate to do that!) or get brush on sealer and try to just brush on the sealer right over the painted area, so hopefully the mirror itself can still look nice. Any other ideas for sealing something like that? I probably will post a picture later under the One Stroke painting thread in the Tole and Decorative painting section. I don't want to take up "jar" space with other pictures!
Old 08-10-2002, 11:41 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

OK--If anyone wants to see a picture of the rosebud mirror I did, here is the link to that thread . . . http://www.familycorner.com/forums/s...5956#post25956 . It certainly is nothing like Amanda's beautiful work!
Old 08-11-2002, 07:44 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Painting On Mirrors

My son made a really cute mobile with little round mirrors of
different sizes, he found the mirrors at Joanne Fabrics and they have paint just to paint on mirrors or glass...that is what he uses, and I have wiped his mirrored mobile with plain water and the pictures stayed on! He painted things I like, barns, trees, sun, moon, cabin in the woods, snowmen..etc. He put a round mirror on each piece of string and another on the other side, super glued them together, with the string between the 2 mirror pieces. Now when it turns, it catches light and I just love it. He used a piece of driftwood he found on a beach walk for the top bar of the mobile. It is easier to paint on the larger circles but the smaller ones are great for a large sun face, moon face, snowflakes etc.

janet