Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Crafty Corner

Crafty Corner If you are creative, love to knit or crochet, paint, or just enjoy making fun stuff with your kids, this is the forum for you.

Old 09-03-2005, 03:03 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

HELPPPPP!!!!!!! can't figure out what i'm doing wrong

Hi all, hope someone can help me figure out what i'm doing on wrong with this pattern.... After months of looking for a confederate flag afghan pattern i finally purchased one off ebay but can't get it to come out right.

Instructions:
Note: always ch 1 to turn. Work in all DC's
To make the field:
With White, ch 140.
Row 1: Work 14 DC's in blue, 2 DC's in white, 108 DCs in red, 2 DC's in white, 14 DC's in blue.
Row 2: 15 sts in blue, 2 in white, 106 in red, 2 in white, 15 in blue
Row 3: 16 sts in blue, 2 in white, 104 in white, 2 in white, 16 in blue.
Row 4: 1 st in white, 16 in blue, 2 in white, 104 in red, 2 in white, 16 in blue,1 in white
Row 5: 2 sts in white, 16 in blue, 2 in white, 100 in red, 2 white, 16 blue, 2 white
Row 6: 1 st in red, 2 white, 16 blue, 2 white, 98 red, 2 white, 16 blue, 1 red

Continue working pattern in this way until the blue bars meet in the middle. You should have 4 white sts in the middle of the 2 bars. For the next row, bring the white sts on the outside of the bars in to the middle by 1 st on each side. In between the white border sts, work all sts in blue. Work the next 5 rows following the same color scheme as this row- white sts on top of white, blue on top of blue and red on top of red. Then start the pattern again, working the middle to the outside this time. When you're done, you should have the Confederate Flag, minus the stars. SC in white around the border.

My brain must be numb because i can't figure this pattern out.
Old 09-11-2005, 10:43 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I looked up confederate flag on yahoo and found several different ones. One flag looks like one that sounds like the pattern. It is called "Confederate Navy Jack". Here is the site. http://www.americancivilwar.com/sout.../southflg.html

The pattern sounds like you are making the flag that is a big cross of blue on a red background with white outlining the blue. Did you get a picture with the pattern?

I hope this helps
Old 09-11-2005, 12:02 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

its the confederate Navy Jack that i'm trying to crochet, but the pattern doesn't come out right.
Old 09-11-2005, 06:35 PM
A Member of the Family
FamilyCorner Groupie

So, is that the entire pattern? Where are you finding out it isn't working right? Are you counting the fact that you work your first dc in the second chain and that makes your first chain the first dc? It also seems strange to me that they say to chain 1 to turn. Normally with a dc pattern you chain 2 to turn.

If you continue having a problem, let me know and I'll use some scrap yarn to help you figure it out. That's something I love to do. I think it's because I enjoy puzzles and this is like a puzzle for me. LOL!

BTW, I didn't even realize there was a thread for crocheting at Family Corner. hee hee!
Old 09-12-2005, 03:40 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

the first row comes out fine, its when i go to do the second row that it starts to mess up. i found the chain one strange too. it would be a great help if you figure out where i'm messing up. hoping it get it done for a christmas present for future son in law
Old 09-12-2005, 04:43 AM
A Member of the Family
FamilyCorner Groupie

I'll try to work on it some tonight and see what I can figure out for you. Since you want to finish for Christmas, I know you need this quickly so I'll see what I can do to help!

Have a wonderful day!!
Old 09-12-2005, 05:18 PM
A Member of the Family
FamilyCorner Groupie

Okay, let me know if you figured this much out. I didn't get except to the beginning of the second row and even then I had done something wrong so that I didn't have enough stitches in blue at the end of row one. LOL!

Make your 140 chain. Don't tie off but in that last chain you work it bringing in the blue. Chain 1 more and then turn and put a dc in chain #140. Work your way all the way across and at the end you chain one and then, instead of skipping the first stitch like in most patterns, you will put a dc in that first dc.

The best I can figure, the reason you put a single as you turn is just simply to have a place to put the sc with the white for the border. I know if they'd done that with other patterns, it would sure have helped me on more than a few occasions.

Anyway, each row should actually have 140 stitches and that is the best I've been able to figure for everything else. Let me know if that helps or just confuses you more.

If it just confuses you more, I'll work on it again later for you. One day I'd like to buy the proper colors and actually work one of these up myself for my dh.

Have a wonderful evening/day.