Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Crafty Corner If you are creative, love to knit or crochet, paint, or just enjoy making fun stuff with your kids, this is the forum for you.

Old 04-24-2002, 08:58 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

I made a pillow!!

Ooh, I'm sooo excited I had to share! We are re-doing ds1's room in a construction theme--yellow walls with a construction truck border and a few "men working" type signs on the walls. I don't want to invest a lot of money in the linens--I'm going to buy a red comforter and red and yellow sheets. But to tie it all together, I wanted a few pillows and valances for his windows. I couldn't find any that were cheap, but I DID find a cute fabric at Walmart. So I dug out my sewing machine and got to work. I've never done anything like this, even though it was basically just a square. It turned out very well and I can't wait to start on the valances!

I'm also going to cover my kitchen chairs--right now they are mauve. I don't like mauve, but they match the wallpaper(blue and mauve plaid) that was already in the kitchen when we moved in. I found some nice durable fabric at Walmart for $2.00 a yard--if I have any left when the chairs aere done, I'm going to make placemats to match.

Gosh, I can't believe I forgot how much I enjoyed sewing. I was just learning when I had to quit--I am SO looking forward to learning again
Old 04-24-2002, 02:53 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

YEAH!!!

Hello there,
GREAT JOB WAY TO GO!!!!
Boy the room sounds like it is going to be adorable!! Nice and simple also so when you want to change it it will be easier to change rather than hard!! Well I am a quilter and I do have to say that Wal-Mart has a lot of cute and nice fabric and very inexpensive!!! And also I am not sure if you have a Joann's Fabric where you live, but when they have their 50%off coupon go for and use it on the fabric.. There is a real lot of fabric to choose from there. I do have to say that I have changed my chair cushion fabric a lot.. As for instance, my kitchen is butterflies, dragonflies, ladybugs,and bees.. All in bright colors and so is my pantry.. So needless to say I found a fabric that goes great with my decor of my kitchen!!!;-) Then come holiday time, forget it, I go all out and change the cushion fabric again but put the fabric for the holiday on top of the bug fabric so I can just take it off and it is back to normal,... And at christmas, halloween and etc. I cover my pantry with wrapping paper and such.. It looks adorable so it matches.. My dh says that I am crazed about the decor to match... But he goes right along with me... I have to say that having a sewing machine must be easier to make stuff rather than doing it by hand... I wish you the best of luck and I hope everything comes out just the way you want it Ang
Old 04-24-2002, 04:26 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Congratulations!!!!!

I know how proud you must be with yourself on your pillow. I bet the room will look adorable.

My first sewing job were fancy curtains (I will have to take a pic of them) that are in my living room/dining room. I was amazed by how great they turned out. My aunt who is a seamstress by trade had no clue they were made until my mom told her... she said they looked like a pro did them. I was so happy.

Over thepast 8 years when ever any one needs curtains (from a pattern, or freeform) I do them. They call me the "Curtain Lady". I have made over 70 pairs of curtains for familt, friends and family and friends of friends. My friends mom pays me to do hers. I have made curtains for almost every room in a house. Valences, balloons, fancy, simple and from scratch. I love doing them.

These and crafts I do not mind but I do not think I will ever try to make clothes. I can just imagine how they would look.

Best of luck with future sewing