Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Crafty Corner If you are creative, love to knit or crochet, paint, or just enjoy making fun stuff with your kids, this is the forum for you.

Old 06-17-2002, 06:29 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I used tulle or netting and made a bag to put my own soap in. Take a piece of tulle and fold it over and sew 2 sides together. On the open side take a piece of ribbon or rope and sew through the holes all the way around. Drop your soap in and pull the string up tight. Tie on to your faucet. The kids use it like a regular bar of soap, it lathers through the holes. When it gets too small, you just add another bar of soap! No looking for expensive soap on a roap.
If my directions are confusing- you are making a drawsting bag out of netting. It is simple enough for kids to hand sew together if you want a craft project for them.
Old 06-17-2002, 06:49 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Re: Solution posted by K Gardner

I really liked the idea that K Gardner posted about making your own mesh bag in which to put the soap. That is the most frugal way to go and if the kids help make the bags, it can be a family project!

I just see one problem with it........ for people with my sewing skills (or lack there of) it would provide plenty of laughs!! Any bag that I made wouldn't last through the first use!!

Now before anyone says that my sewing skills can't be THAT
bad---- when I sew a button back on, it comes right back off as soon as the piece of clothing goes into the washing machine!

So, I am still stuck buying a mesh bag!
Old 06-17-2002, 08:45 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Ok, Cindy!
Buy netting and sew in and out of the holes at least an inch from the edges. Use crochet thread or ribbon instead of sewing thread. Tie a good old fashioned knot at both ends, around a hole in the netting. A good knot is the square knot- string in right hand over left, then string in left hand over right. Pull tight.
Good luck!
Old 06-26-2002, 05:52 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

For those of you a little more adventurous, you can make soap on a roap yourself.

First, you need a soap base. You can buy ready-made soap for what is called rebatching online. While I can't vouch for the quality of these bases since I don't use them (I make my own soap), many people use them and like them. One place to get them is Garden Eastward (http://addy.com/brinkley/soap.html). I recommend the Calendula base since Calendula is very healing, which is perfect for soap to be used after gardening and yard work. Make sure you copy down the instructions for melting the soap base from this page because they won't be included in your order.

Next you need the soap cord, which you can get at Glory Bee (http://www.glorybee.com). Go to their online catalog, select the category "Soapmaking/Misc. Equipment", look for soap cord. Warning, Glory Bee has a $25 minimum order requirement, so you might want to look for the cord in a fabric shop or craft store.

To make the soap, melt the soap base according to the instructions given. Once it's melted, add something for scrubbiness. You can use cornmeal, poppy seeds, ground loofah, ground pumice, or even dried herbs (WARNING: dried lavender buds will end up looking like dead bugs in your soap!). How much you add will depend on how much soap base you're melting. I'd start by mixing in a tablespoon, feel the consistency and scrubbiness, and then add a little more if necessary.

If you want to add fragrance or essential oil, add it according to the instructions given as to when to add. For the amount, I'd use 1/4 to 1/2 ounce per pound of soap base. This is something that you'll have to experiment with since the strength of fragrance oils varies. Make sure you use only fragrance oils formulated for bath & body products.

Good essential oils to add would be Lavender, Chamomile, Palmarosa, Rosewood, or Rose Geranium for their skin benefits. Or you could add Sweet Orange for its cleaning abilities.

Once everything is mixed into the melted soap base, let it start cooling and thickening. Once it's cool enough to start holding its shape, cut a length of cord, and fold it in half. Take a small amount of soap, maybe 1/4 cup or so, and form it into a ball around the ends of the cord. Continue doing this until you have a good-sized soap ball (or whatever shape you want). As the soap hardens and dries, be sure to press/squeeze/squish the soap to compact it around the cord.

Alternately, you can use small plastic containers (like yogurt or margarine come in, or even small Tupperware-like containers). Lay or suspend your length of cord in the container (which way you do it depends on the shape and depth of the container). Pour in your soap base according to the directions for when to pour into molds. Once the soap firms up, you can pop it out of the mold.

Let the soap dry on wire racks (or hang somewhere) for at least a week before using. This is to let any excess water evaporate out, which will make the soap last longer. The amount of time required depends on things like the size and shape of the bars, the humidity level in your house, etc. Just don't try drying them in any type of oven, or else you'll have a mess.

A pound of soap base should make 4 good-sized bars of soap on a roap.

Carol