Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Crafty Corner If you are creative, love to knit or crochet, paint, or just enjoy making fun stuff with your kids, this is the forum for you.

Old 02-10-2005, 03:22 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Stationary holder from placemats?

I saw these in TN on vacation and wanted to make them. They are placemats folded and sewn about 1/3 of the way over horizontally and then sewn vertically to make different size pockets for pens and papers. You fold it like a book and can add a ribbon tie to close.
Is there a pattern for these on the web?
Old 02-21-2005, 08:29 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

placemat stationary holders

Hi Mudechevy

I have not seen a pattern for this on the web. I have made something similar to this on my own out of scrap material and I call it The Rag Bag it is bigger than a place mat it almost looks like a small briefcase. The one that I make has different size pockets for crayons, colored pencils, markers, regular pencils and scissors plus it can hold a coloring book and some paper. If you want I can take a picture and post it for you to see. I can even draw you up a pattern if you want one just let me know.

God Bless
Tammy
Old 02-21-2005, 04:48 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I can't remember which site I got this from. It is a .pdf file. It shows the step by step to make one. I cannot attach the .pdf file because it is not an acceptable format for this thread. Contact me privately, put placemat in the subject line and I will send the file to you. Or you can dp a search for placemat organizers on the web. A lot of people are making placemat purses right now as well.
They come out really cute.
Old 02-21-2005, 05:30 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

WELCOME

Hi Craftylady

Welcome to FC I am sure you will enjoy this site. There are a lot of wonderful ladies on here. I don't get on this forum much cause I am usually on the pen pal or the prayer request one. Well gotta go for now talk to you soon. God Bless

Tammy
Old 02-23-2005, 05:15 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I made too many of these to count when my girls were younger. It made great gifts for their friends as well as relatives, and for a couple of craft shows that I did. You really don't need a pattern. You had the general idea going. Take the placemat and fold about 1/3 of the way up. Stitch along the outside edges on the folded part. Fold placemat in half to find the center and sew a line on that center fold to complete the 2 pockets. You can decide where to sew another vertical line for a pen pocket, either close the the center or, closer to the outside edge. They can either be closed by sewing 2 pieces of ribbon to the edges and tying or make a loop of the ribbon and sew on the side edge and a button on the other side. The dollar stores and Big Lots is a great place to buy inexpensive placemats. Also look for pretty stationary there too!