FamilyCorner.com Forums

FamilyCorner.com Forums (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/)
-   Crafty Corner (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/crafty-corner/)
-   -   I Need a No-Sew Solution! (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/crafty-corner/12368-i-need-no-sew-solution.html)

barbszy 09-13-2004 09:51 AM

I need a No-Sew Solution!

I just got some draperies and sheers for my living room window, and discovered that I made a big mistake once I went to hang things. The sheers have 1 1/2 inch that pops up above the rod pocket. The drapes, OTOH, are "button down" so there is no pocket and nothing above the height of the rod. So the sheers actually are 1 1 /2 inches longer than the drapes :jaw: Of course, that looks ridiculous.

I don't sew well and don't have a machine, and it would take me a week to hand-hem these sheers (I have to cover a window that is 120 inches across). Is there a no-sew way to maybe tack down the part of the curtain that sticks up above the rod?

Breezy 09-13-2004 10:12 AM

MAYBE TRY LIQUID STITCH? YOU CAN GET IT AT WALMART IN THE SEWING/CRAFT DEPARTMENT.

CraftyLdy 09-14-2004 05:43 PM

Hi Barbaszy
Maybe I am not getting this but please email me maybe I can help you out on a solution with this but I am not sure what you mean I do alot of sewing.

dianetarvin 09-18-2004 11:05 PM

it is really fast and easy to just go to walmart or any fabric place and get a cheap roll of fusion tape. you fold it over and put the tape between the fabric...then you press it with a warm iron. the iron melts the tape and it sticks the fabric together...it is great for hems, repairs and you can reheat it to pull it apart if you decide later that you want them back as they were....it is great and fast!!
^^ ^^ ^^ ^^

barbszy 09-19-2004 03:17 AM

I tried that fusion tape and I guess the fabric was too light or too sheer or something because it came right apart :-O

I finally decided to just use those sheers in a different room. Got some metal "hold-backs" to keep them up. Then I got the proper size sheers for this giant window.

Thanks for your help ::-)::

cathyharrell 09-19-2004 06:58 AM

Can you turn the sheers upside down so the 1 1/2" is at the bottom?

barbszy 09-19-2004 08:46 AM

It wouldn't have mattered....it is still 1 1/2 inches too long, as the part above the rod pocket is not included in the measurement.
That is a good idea, though. I'll remember it for the future if I put this type of curtain in another room.

Thanks, and welcome to Family Corner :bouncer:

phyllsplace 09-19-2004 08:53 AM

I know that you already solved the problem but I just wanted to add my input for the future.

The first thing that came to mind when I read your post was double stick tape. If it can hold a dress onto a body then it should be able to do what you need it to do. Just a thought.:)

MNNorsk 09-19-2004 01:24 PM

Just today I used my 'Liquid Stitch' sewing in a tube that I purchased at Jo-Ann Fabrics. It has been a lifesaver since I can't use my hands to sew anything any more. It works on almost everything and is washable.

Maybe some of you others are interested.:-D

barbszy 09-19-2004 02:11 PM

Can you put fabrics treated with that product in the dryer?