FamilyCorner.com Forums

FamilyCorner.com Forums (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/)
-   Crafty Corner (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/crafty-corner/)
-   -   Gift Ideas?? (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/crafty-corner/12106-gift-ideas.html)

Wondrturtle 08-28-2004 09:51 PM

Gift Ideas??

Does anyone have any gift ideas that are easy and fun to make and receive? I was thinking of doing cookie mixes in jars, but that seems so boring, are there any different recipes out there for those? Thanks!

ajrsmom 08-28-2004 10:19 PM

Do you have a certain type of gift that you would like to make such as "jarred gifts", "edible gifts", "beads", "hand painted".....?

If you could narrow it down a bit, it would be easier to make suggestions.

Thanks,
Tami

Wondrturtle 08-28-2004 10:32 PM

Gift Ideas

For now I am going to stick with the cookie mixes in jars. Is there something out there that looks a little nicer than plain old chocolate chip?? Gift baskets, too, I was considering, but I am not sure what kind to give to everyone yet. Those would be good because they can be more personal. Thanks!

ajrsmom 08-28-2004 11:19 PM

I have some great ideas for cookie mixes, I will just have to dig them out. Ill try to post them tomorrow for you.

Gift baskets are fun too!! If you want some ideas, let me know who you are making them for and I will post some ideas for them too!

Tami

ajrsmom 08-28-2004 11:22 PM

Here is a link to a thread here at FC that might give you some ideas.

http://www.familycorner.com/forums/s...?threadid=3935

Wondrturtle 08-29-2004 01:27 AM

Thanks!

Thanks so much, that is sure to keep me busy for a while!! I appreciate you taking the time to find that thread for me!

nocashmissy 08-29-2004 06:55 AM

I just love to do gift baskets with a theme. I usually do the cookie mixes, hot chocolate ,coffee creamers,flavored coffees the list is endless. And they are inexpensive too. I shop all year long for items for baskets for example for a coffee drinker I would use a flavored coffee and coffee creamer a pretty mug,maybe some chocolate dipped spoons and a mug rug or coaster put it all in a pretty little lined basket and you got a personal homemade gift. I make my hotchocolate and other mixes too. to line a basket you just pick out a material you like grab a hot glue gun measure the material to fit and glue. Or you can use store bought items like bath items and a candle all in the same fragrance and a good book with a tea cup and tea bags. I haven't done homemade soaps and stuff yet but I'm thinking about it. baskets are my favorite to do. I do one every year for my sister with a different theme. I plan early and pick stuff up. One year I did a chicken basket for her. I got a pretty picnic type basket, cookbook,seasoning,marinade,kitchen timer,magnet and a frozen whole chickenand other things too. She loved it. I've done movie baskets with a favorite movie, popcorn, snacks, candy, movie rentals ,pizza gift certificates, and a 6 pk of beer too. just think of something some one likes or does and go with it.they can be very simple with a few items or very elaborate with alot of items it all depends on how indept you want to be. I prefer simple.

ajrsmom 08-29-2004 03:22 PM

Here's another good link with over 1000 ideas for mixes

http://www.budget101.com/

sandieluvsbears 09-09-2004 08:59 AM

answer to gift in a jar

:daisy: Here is acute idea for a gift in a jar
its called Smelly Jelly
2cups water
4 envelopes Knox Gelatin
2 tbsp salt
Several drops of your favorite fragance oil(make sure it is oil)
Bring 1 cup of water to a boil Stir in gelatinuntil dissolved. Add remaining water and salt and fragrance. Add a few drops of food coloring if desired. Cover the top of jar with netting or material,and tie with a ribbon.. Attach the following saying on jar.
"Here's a little something thats cute by far. Its a liquid when poured into a jar. It's not to be eaten. Its not for your belly.Its to freshen your room.It's called "Smelly Jelly"!

boggsZ 09-09-2004 10:00 AM

sandieluvsbears, Love the idea of your Smelly Jellys I have a friend who make them and she use Soil Moist that you use for planting plants its really neet stuff but i have to go along way to get so i think ill try your recipe thanks.

Vrsherren 09-09-2004 10:34 AM

Theme baskets?

:typ: There are theme baskets you can make! I go to the dollar stores for most of it.
Italian would be: 1 lb. of spaghetti, jar of sauce (any flavor they like), baggett, sm. can of parmesan cheese, and canolli or cookies

Hot cocoa would be: 2 mugs and several kinds of hot cocoa mix and maybe a chocolate dipped spoon, mini marshmellows.

coffee is much the same as hot cocoa but I add biscotti (sometimes I make it myself IF its a personal gift) coffee mate in the tiny jars in reg. and a cool flavor like Irish cream.

Soup mix in a jar is also a good gift. Add crackers like Gold Fish, oyster, etc., couple of bowls and maybe sm loaf of bread with spreadable cheese.

When my son got married we made them up a big basket with canned meats, crackers, squirtable cheeses, spreadable cheese, olives, pickles, mini rye bread, Sparkling White grape juice, cookies, candy, and baby wipes to clean up with!

I love doing baskets!

Vivian :sausa:

ezlivinginvt 09-09-2004 12:04 PM

I make this birthday cake mix in a coffee cup. You stir up the dry mix then measure it out ( I think one batch makes 7 individual mixes) You baggy that and put it in a birthday theme(or what ever theme) coffee mug. Then you make a frosting mix and place that in another baggy inside the cake mix baggy putting a slip of paper inside labeling it icing mix. Then place mini m&ms or sprinkles etc. on top with 1 candle into a bag. All contents go into the mug, wrap with tisuue paper and use that foil decorating wire to make a twisty. I amde on my computer a birthday card complete with cake directions. The best part is the child or whomever you give this to mixes it in the mug, cooks in the microwave and they can ice it too ALL BY THEMSELVES! It's been a big hit with my children friends.

Also some great jar mixes besides food is bath salts, and I have a recipe for bird seed treat that my boyscouts did for christmas.

:party:

boggsZ 09-09-2004 01:12 PM

ezlivinginvt, Hi can you post the recipe and direction for the cake in a cup that sounds like a great idea i would love to make them for dd teachers thanks

ezlivinginvt 09-11-2004 08:57 AM

gift cake in a mug

Theme Cupcake in a Mug

MIX:
1 Cake mix - any flavor
1 (4 serving size)Instant pudding mix (not sugar-free)AnyFlavor

FLAVORS Good cake mix/pudding mix combinations are;
Lemon cake Mix and lemon pudding
yellow cake mix and chocolate pudding (excellent)
devils food cake mix and choc. pudding
pineapple cake mix and coconut cream pudding
butterscotch cake mix and butterscotch pudding
Experiment with other combinations!

Place dry cake mix and pudding mix into a large bowl and blend well. This will be about 4 - 4 1/2 cups dry mix and will make 8-9 coffe cup cake mixes.

Place 1/2 cup dry mix into a sandwich bag. Place mix into a corner of the bag and tie it there with a twist tie.

Continue making packets until all mix is used.

Use "Glaze" recipe to make appropriate glaze mix for the flavor of cake mix you chose.

GLAZE
1/3 cup powdered sugar 1 1/2 tsp.dry flavoring*

*Dry flavoring = powdered lemonade mix (not sugar free), powdered orange breakfast drink, cocoa powder

select the flavoring appropriate to hte cake you are making. Lemon or orange glaze for lemon cake, cocoa glaze for the ones with choc.pudding. For vanilla glaze use dry vanilla powder (sold with the coffee flavorings) or just leave the powdered sugar plain. For the pinapple/coconut cake include plain glaze and 1 tbsp. coconut for decorations.

Place glaze ingredients into a sandwich bag and tie into corner of bag. Label this bag "Glaze Mix' and attach it to the other bag with a twist tie or ribbon.

Place one of each cake & glaze mix into coffee cup.
(I purchase coffee cups at the dollar store that are birthday themed. Select a lg. coffee cup. Check to be sure it holds 1 1/2 cups of water. That way you will be sure you have bought the size the recipe calls for. It can't have any metallic paint on it because it will be used in the microwave.)

Include a baggie of DECORATIONS; M&Ms, sprinkles, etc.(your choice) to decorate their cake and place in bag 1 CANDLE.

Wrap cup with clear or colored collophane or tissue paper and tie with a ribbon.

COPY THE FOLLOWING INTO A BIRTHDAY CARD AND ATTACH TO MUG; (If making several or want to have it handy do this in a card making software and it's at your fingertips and you can personalize it)

BAKE YOUR OWN BIRTHDAY CAKE

1. Generously spray inside of coffee cup with cooking spray.
2. Empty contents of large packet in cup. Add 1 egg white, 1 Tbsp. Oil and 1 Tbsp. water to dry mix. Mix for 15 seconds, carefully mixing in all the dry mix.
3. Microwave on full power 2 minutes. (You may not get satisfactory results in a low wattage small small microwave.)
4. While cake is cooking, place ingredients from "Glaze Mix"
4. While cake is cooking, place ingredients from "Glaze Mix" into a very small container and add 1 1/2 tsp. water.
Mix well.
5. When cake is done, pour glaze over cake in cup.Decorate. Be sure to sing to yourself!

:party:

sandieluvsbears 09-11-2004 01:13 PM

Love the Cake in a mug idea!!!!!!

:daisy:

Hi, Just had to tell you I love the cake in a mug idea!!!! I do alot of crafting and gifts in a jar ect. and this one is great!! Its so versatile and the different combos are endless. I set up at a local Flea Market, so I will definately make a few to sell, and to give!!
Sandie:daisy:

A Home Without A Teddy Bear Is Like A Face Without A Smile!!!!

boggsZ 09-11-2004 03:32 PM

Thanks ezlivinginvt I cant wait to try that please post more of those great ideas :)

Tinkerbell08 09-11-2004 03:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
^^ I get all of my ideas for jar recipes from a book by gooseberry patch. The book is called "Gifts for giving". I've attached a link to the gooseberry patch website:
http://www2.gooseberrypatch.com/goos...nt&lid=is_m865

This is a great book to have, it gives you labels to photocopy and attach to jars, and it also gives all kinds of recipes for other things like bath salts and cookie cutter ornaments. You can probably find a cheap copy of this book on ebay. Hope this helps yah some. ^^

boggsZ 09-11-2004 04:39 PM

Tinkerbell08, Thanks for the link I have a few books like that but not those I seen on there powered vanilla I had no idea you could buy that I have to get some thanks agian.

Debbie F. 09-12-2004 04:29 PM

Peach Crisp Mix

How about this one~~easy & yummy!!

:clapp:

Peach Crisp Mix in a Quart Jar

1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup coconut
1 cup chopped pecans
1 1/2 cups quick oats
1/2 cup flour

~~

Place ingredients in a wide mouth quart canning jar, in the order given, pressing each layer down gently.

Copy & attach the recipe below to the jar:

1. Empty contents of jar into a large bowl.
2. Add 1 stick margarine, melted.
3. Drain 2 (29 oz) cans sliced peaches and place in a sprayed 13" x 9" baking pan.
4. Spread topping mixture evenly over peaches.
5. Bake at 350º for 45 minutes.

Tip: For step #3, you can use 5 cups peeled, sliced fresh peaches instead of the canned peaches.

boggsZ 09-12-2004 04:39 PM

Debbie thanks that sounds like a good one also

Debbie F. 09-12-2004 04:55 PM

Bread in a Flower Pot

This is a really cool idea too! Great hit as a gift!

This bread is actually made in a flower pot. BUT, you can't just bake in ANY flowerpot without it meeting one of the following:

1. Buy a new flower pot, and line it with HEAVY DUTY ALUMINUM FOIL.

2. Buy a flower pot designed for baking--available at gourmet food stores.

3. Glaze the flower pot, with food safe glaze, at a ceramics shop.

Of course, the easiest option is #1. Having decided that, next you should "season" the flower pot~~this only helps keep grease streaks and fingerprints from showing. To do this, just simply rub the inside & outside of the pot with shortening (using a paper towel). Wipe off excess shortening. Heat the empty flower pot in a 350º oven for 15 minutes.

Now, back to option #1~~You must use HEAVY DUTY FOIL ONLY! Turn the flower pot upside down. Pull off a large piece of heavy duty foil and press it over the flower pot, conforming the foil to the shape of the pot. Remove the foil. Turn the flower pot right side up, and place the shaped foil inside the flower pot. Trim the excess foil from the edges of the flower pot.

You are now ready to go!! Recipe is for one 4" flower pot:

:jump2:

Cinnamon Raisin Bread Mix

1 1/3 cups Bisquick mix
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/3 cup raisins

~~

Place first 3 ingredients in a mixing bowl and blend with a whisk.
Stir in raisins.
Place mix in heavy plastic zipper bag, and place in flower pot. Add a silk flower, if desired!
Tie on following recipe that tells recipient how to make the bread:

1. Empty mix into a mixing bowl.
2. Add 1 egg and 1/3 cup milk.
3. Mix until just blended.
4. Pour batter into 4" flower pot.
5. Bake at 375º for 40 to 45 minutes.

sandieluvsbears 09-12-2004 04:56 PM

Heres something cute my grandaughters did last Halloween. You put some candy corn in a little halloween bag and attach the following message: PUMPKIN POOP
I started to carve a pumpkin with my carving knife and scoop,
But the pumpkin got so scared he took a little poop!
It looked so cute and funny
Just like a candy treat, So Im sharing it with you,
Because you are so SWEET!

Sandie

A Room Without A Teddy Bear Is LIke A Face Without A Smile!:daisy: (^)

bar_bar 09-16-2004 08:48 PM

Debbie you got some great receipes there, and the one tha posted the link think that was Tami, thanks.

more receipes: for jar mixes:

Hustle-Bustle Butterscotch-Oatmeal
1/2 cup butterscotch chips
1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
1 cup old-fashioned oats
1 cup baking mix (Jiffy, Bisquick,etc.)
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1 more cup baking mix
Layer and pack ingredients in canning jars in the order given.
Attach recipe:
Hustle-Bustle Butterscotch-Oatmeal Cookies
Empty contents of jar into a medium mixing bowl. Stir in 1
stick (1/2 cup) of melted butter or margarine, 1 large egg and 1
tsp. vanilla until well-combined. Shape into 1-inch balls. Place on
baking sheets coated with cooking spray or parchment paper. Bake at
375 for 10-12 minutes or until cookies are golden brown. Makes 2-1/2
dozen cookies.

CraftyLdy 09-16-2004 09:01 PM

Greaat ideas girls keep them coming the hoildays are fast approaching.....:clapp:

sandieluvsbears 09-17-2004 06:49 AM

How do you make typing space longer???

:daisy: :daisy:

Hi Ladies, I have some good recipes and other ideas, but I need a bigger space to type them does anyone know how I can do This??

Thanks Sandie
Everybody needs a little tenderluvin bear!:heart: ^^

bar_bar 09-22-2004 07:43 PM

Sandie
you got up to 1000 letters to use on one of these post, and if you need to continue just be ready to post right after you post the first one, stating you got more to come as this is post 1 or something along that line..

we also have a thread for receipes if it food receipes, if it craft receipes you might want to start a new thread with the topic as craft receipes.

does that make sense?

and hope this helps.

if not then I'm not understanding what you are asking and I'm sorry... pm me if need to be.

Vrsherren 09-23-2004 11:29 AM

Jar cakes

::: I've read several recipes that you use a qt. jar that has been greased and pour cake batter in 1/2 full. Then you bake for 40 minutes at 350'. When doen, wipe the mouths of the jar and place a lid seal over the top and screw the ring down and listen to the ping as it seals. It last up to 1 year if sealed properly! I'm going to try it this year. Also if anyone wants the recipe to Wine jelly let me know and I'll post it. Looks great in wine glasses, or in those cute little bittie jars.

Vivian

sandieluvsbears 09-23-2004 11:34 AM

Somebody posted a cake in a Mug recipe, was it here?Does anybody know,I cant remember if it was here or not I just remember you use the microwave.
Sandie
Everybody needs a little tenderluvin BEAR!!:heart:

boggsZ 09-23-2004 12:44 PM

Re: Jar cakes

Quote:

Originally posted by Vrsherren
::: I've read several recipes that you use a qt. jar that has been greased and pour cake batter in 1/2 full. Then you bake for 40 minutes at 350'. When doen, wipe the mouths of the jar and place a lid seal over the top and screw the ring down and listen to the ping as it seals. It last up to 1 year if sealed properly! I'm going to try it this year. Also if anyone wants the recipe to Wine jelly let me know and I'll post it. Looks great in wine glasses, or in those cute little bittie jars.

Vivian

My MIL does this she makes her zuchenny(sp) bread and the bakes it in small wide mouth jars then puts caps and lids on while hot it seals and she has cake anytime

Debbie F. 09-24-2004 06:31 AM

Hey Vivian~~would you mind posting that wine jelly recipe?

Thanks!

bar_bar 09-27-2004 12:54 PM

ok, here goes a stupid question I know.. but my mind NOT Thinking...

ok you bake this cake in a jar... how on earth do you get it out then???

I'm sorry but My mind is seeing something totally different here...
and with my black cloud I can have over my little teeny brain, I just can't see how you get that cake out of that jar... mine would stick no matter what.

but I do thank you for the laugh becaues I REALLY do need to laugh right now...

I"M sorry....

boggsZ 09-27-2004 01:02 PM

bar_bar thay really do come out easy you just spray the inside of the jar when my mil makes them she uses the pint large mouth jars and sometimes we just take a fork and eat the cake right outof the jar a pint jar isnt that big so one person can easily eat one of her jar cakes