Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Crafty Corner If you are creative, love to knit or crochet, paint, or just enjoy making fun stuff with your kids, this is the forum for you.

Old 09-09-2004, 10:34 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Lightbulb Theme baskets?

There are theme baskets you can make! I go to the dollar stores for most of it.
Italian would be: 1 lb. of spaghetti, jar of sauce (any flavor they like), baggett, sm. can of parmesan cheese, and canolli or cookies

Hot cocoa would be: 2 mugs and several kinds of hot cocoa mix and maybe a chocolate dipped spoon, mini marshmellows.

coffee is much the same as hot cocoa but I add biscotti (sometimes I make it myself IF its a personal gift) coffee mate in the tiny jars in reg. and a cool flavor like Irish cream.

Soup mix in a jar is also a good gift. Add crackers like Gold Fish, oyster, etc., couple of bowls and maybe sm loaf of bread with spreadable cheese.

When my son got married we made them up a big basket with canned meats, crackers, squirtable cheeses, spreadable cheese, olives, pickles, mini rye bread, Sparkling White grape juice, cookies, candy, and baby wipes to clean up with!

I love doing baskets!

Vivian
Old 09-09-2004, 12:04 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I make this birthday cake mix in a coffee cup. You stir up the dry mix then measure it out ( I think one batch makes 7 individual mixes) You baggy that and put it in a birthday theme(or what ever theme) coffee mug. Then you make a frosting mix and place that in another baggy inside the cake mix baggy putting a slip of paper inside labeling it icing mix. Then place mini m&ms or sprinkles etc. on top with 1 candle into a bag. All contents go into the mug, wrap with tisuue paper and use that foil decorating wire to make a twisty. I amde on my computer a birthday card complete with cake directions. The best part is the child or whomever you give this to mixes it in the mug, cooks in the microwave and they can ice it too ALL BY THEMSELVES! It's been a big hit with my children friends.

Also some great jar mixes besides food is bath salts, and I have a recipe for bird seed treat that my boyscouts did for christmas.

Old 09-09-2004, 01:12 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

ezlivinginvt, Hi can you post the recipe and direction for the cake in a cup that sounds like a great idea i would love to make them for dd teachers thanks

Old 09-11-2004, 08:57 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Lightbulb gift cake in a mug

Theme Cupcake in a Mug

MIX:
1 Cake mix - any flavor
1 (4 serving size)Instant pudding mix (not sugar-free)AnyFlavor

FLAVORS Good cake mix/pudding mix combinations are;
Lemon cake Mix and lemon pudding
yellow cake mix and chocolate pudding (excellent)
devils food cake mix and choc. pudding
pineapple cake mix and coconut cream pudding
butterscotch cake mix and butterscotch pudding
Experiment with other combinations!

Place dry cake mix and pudding mix into a large bowl and blend well. This will be about 4 - 4 1/2 cups dry mix and will make 8-9 coffe cup cake mixes.

Place 1/2 cup dry mix into a sandwich bag. Place mix into a corner of the bag and tie it there with a twist tie.

Continue making packets until all mix is used.

Use "Glaze" recipe to make appropriate glaze mix for the flavor of cake mix you chose.

GLAZE
1/3 cup powdered sugar 1 1/2 tsp.dry flavoring*

*Dry flavoring = powdered lemonade mix (not sugar free), powdered orange breakfast drink, cocoa powder

select the flavoring appropriate to hte cake you are making. Lemon or orange glaze for lemon cake, cocoa glaze for the ones with choc.pudding. For vanilla glaze use dry vanilla powder (sold with the coffee flavorings) or just leave the powdered sugar plain. For the pinapple/coconut cake include plain glaze and 1 tbsp. coconut for decorations.

Place glaze ingredients into a sandwich bag and tie into corner of bag. Label this bag "Glaze Mix' and attach it to the other bag with a twist tie or ribbon.

Place one of each cake & glaze mix into coffee cup.
(I purchase coffee cups at the dollar store that are birthday themed. Select a lg. coffee cup. Check to be sure it holds 1 1/2 cups of water. That way you will be sure you have bought the size the recipe calls for. It can't have any metallic paint on it because it will be used in the microwave.)

Include a baggie of DECORATIONS; M&Ms, sprinkles, etc.(your choice) to decorate their cake and place in bag 1 CANDLE.

Wrap cup with clear or colored collophane or tissue paper and tie with a ribbon.

COPY THE FOLLOWING INTO A BIRTHDAY CARD AND ATTACH TO MUG; (If making several or want to have it handy do this in a card making software and it's at your fingertips and you can personalize it)

BAKE YOUR OWN BIRTHDAY CAKE

1. Generously spray inside of coffee cup with cooking spray.
2. Empty contents of large packet in cup. Add 1 egg white, 1 Tbsp. Oil and 1 Tbsp. water to dry mix. Mix for 15 seconds, carefully mixing in all the dry mix.
3. Microwave on full power 2 minutes. (You may not get satisfactory results in a low wattage small small microwave.)
4. While cake is cooking, place ingredients from "Glaze Mix"
4. While cake is cooking, place ingredients from "Glaze Mix" into a very small container and add 1 1/2 tsp. water.
Mix well.
5. When cake is done, pour glaze over cake in cup.Decorate. Be sure to sing to yourself!

Old 09-11-2004, 01:13 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Pinkie Winky Love the Cake in a mug idea!!!!!!

Hi, Just had to tell you I love the cake in a mug idea!!!! I do alot of crafting and gifts in a jar ect. and this one is great!! Its so versatile and the different combos are endless. I set up at a local Flea Market, so I will definately make a few to sell, and to give!!
Sandie

A Home Without A Teddy Bear Is Like A Face Without A Smile!!!!
Old 09-11-2004, 03:32 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Thanks ezlivinginvt I cant wait to try that please post more of those great ideas

Old 09-11-2004, 03:45 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I get all of my ideas for jar recipes from a book by gooseberry patch. The book is called "Gifts for giving". I've attached a link to the gooseberry patch website:
http://www2.gooseberrypatch.com/goos...nt&lid=is_m865

This is a great book to have, it gives you labels to photocopy and attach to jars, and it also gives all kinds of recipes for other things like bath salts and cookie cutter ornaments. You can probably find a cheap copy of this book on ebay. Hope this helps yah some.
Attached Images

Old 09-11-2004, 04:39 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Tinkerbell08, Thanks for the link I have a few books like that but not those I seen on there powered vanilla I had no idea you could buy that I have to get some thanks agian.

Old 09-12-2004, 04:29 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Peach Crisp Mix

How about this one~~easy & yummy!!

Peach Crisp Mix in a Quart Jar

1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup coconut
1 cup chopped pecans
1 1/2 cups quick oats
1/2 cup flour

~~

Place ingredients in a wide mouth quart canning jar, in the order given, pressing each layer down gently.

Copy & attach the recipe below to the jar:

1. Empty contents of jar into a large bowl.
2. Add 1 stick margarine, melted.
3. Drain 2 (29 oz) cans sliced peaches and place in a sprayed 13" x 9" baking pan.
4. Spread topping mixture evenly over peaches.
5. Bake at 350¬ļ for 45 minutes.

Tip: For step #3, you can use 5 cups peeled, sliced fresh peaches instead of the canned peaches.

You miss 100% of the opportunities you don't take.
Old 09-12-2004, 04:39 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Debbie thanks that sounds like a good one also