Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Crafty Corner If you are creative, love to knit or crochet, paint, or just enjoy making fun stuff with your kids, this is the forum for you.

Old 08-18-2004, 01:47 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Potted Birdfeeder Painting Ideas

I posted this question somewhere, I think, but I will post it under the clay pot thread. I've been painting pots for years now. I make birdfeeders and sell at my craft mall. I've painted flowers, garden, insectes, jungle, stars, hearts themes on them. Some bright and some even brighter (see pic posted under "crafts you making now").

My DM said I need new ideas, new themes, she said I need to get with the times and stop painting flowers. I'm looking for new fresh ideas to paint on my pots. What's hot these days? What designs, themes are people looking for? I've tried palm trees but they are moving slow. Ideas please.

My FC Member Awards!

Curious?
Old 08-20-2004, 01:38 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

clay pots

I am certainly not an artist or really even "creative" but as a suggestion maybe you could try something geometric. You know different designs of maybe triangles or squares or even circles! They have that crincle paint too. That might be interesting. How about different mediums instead of paint. Scrap wallpaper, string, buttons.....I dont know.
Old 08-20-2004, 02:00 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Have you tried the USA flag design, cute whimscal frogs, make them look as if they are a large sunflower, a large rose, instead of several designs on them, pain one great big one. Sure wish we could see them, they sound pretty.
Old 08-20-2004, 03:00 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

A great way to see what's new is to look through the catalogs at the gift and home decor items that are currently being offered.

You can even get an idea of what's popular by looking at clothings, especially kids clothes.

What about cartoon characters?? Movie characters?? Another easy place to get cute ideas is in childrens books.

Quilt patterns are pretty and you can vary the colors for different looks. Stained glass patterns are nice, too. You can see some wonderful patterns online.

A mosaic look would be really attractive. Think outside the box. Look through home decor magazines, home accessory catalogs, gardening books (leaf designs are great, especially in the fall), sales flyers and retail store catalogs.

Flamingos are easy and lots of people collect them. What else do people collect?? Buttons, marbles, frogs, monkeys, sunflowers, angels, churches.

Sports are hot, too. Lots of soccer moms out there!!!

Hopefully some of these things will spark some new ideas for you.

Good luck!!!

katie
Old 08-20-2004, 04:51 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Hi I paint and am in the process of closing my craft supply business due to lack of money,but the things in the past year that people wanted me to paint or make were:
nautical themes- lighthouse are big and so are dolphins. Shells,fish,boats, ships,oceans,boey, fishing etrc
birdhouses and birds
angels
americana- dull red white and blue flags or just parts of like a blue pot with white stars and maybe the saucers red.
old county scenic
amish

I think I saw a post of your work ...very bright and beautiful.
looking in catalogs is agreat idea. Also if some of the stuff isn't your cup of tea, try decoupage. Just make sure to use exterior sealer on it. Or stencils. But don't stop the floral...the right people come by they'll sell. Good luck.
Old 08-20-2004, 05:23 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I was just in the new party store that opened last week. What a great place for ideas!!!

Lots of great designs on the plates and napkins. All kinds of tropical, tiki, hawaiian stuff.

I personally love animal prints of all kinds. Some are very bold, done in bright colors that give them a new twist.

You might want to look at wrapping paper, too.

katie
Old 08-20-2004, 05:26 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hey, how about different dog and/or cat breeds??? People LOVE buying things that relate to their pets.

Parrots, parakeets, fish, etc. too!!
Old 08-20-2004, 06:07 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Wow! Thanks for the great ideas!

You know, sometimes you need to collaborate with other creative minds and then the excitement starts. As I'm reading through each reply, I was getting more and more excited as I read about each new idea. Some I've considered but wondered if they would really sell. Thanks, I love the idea of going into a party store and looking at the latest party decor ideas, and even decoupage. I love the idea of wallpaper, scraps, mosaics, dogs, nautical, flamingos (who'd of thunk!) Anyone have any patterns for flamigos? I love the geometric idea, too. I've already cut sponges into diamond shapes but was worried they wouldn't go but now that I think of it more, I'm loving it! thanks a bunch.

I love the creative process that happens when creative minds get together and share. It's very exciting, motivating and contagious. So, Yippeee!

Keep the ideas coming and I will post pics when I'm done. Thanks!

My FC Member Awards!

Curious?
Old 08-20-2004, 06:27 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Can't wait to see the pics. I'm very excited that you're motivated!!! Try a harlequin pattern with those diamond shaped sponges. Very classic!!!

Let me share one more thing with you...........I do paper mosaics. I use pieces of paper the same way you would use pieces of ceramic tile to create mosaics on just about everything.

Simply cut into pieces and fill in your pattern or picture. You can use irregular shapes, which look like broken tiles, or you can use any of the scrapbook supply hole punches that come in different shapes, like diamonds or triangles or squares (or a regular round hole punch).

I've done pictures as elaborate as a toucan in the rainforest and as simple as a single color cut into irregular shapes.

You can use wallpaper, paint chips, wrapping paper, decorative napkins - just about any kind of paper. I've even used colored envelopes cut into shapes.

One of my favorite papers is the scrapbook pages they sell in the craft stores. They come in a huge variety of patterns, solids, prints - and some have terrific borders!!!

Don't forget to post those pictures!!!!

katie
Old 08-20-2004, 06:39 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Thank You

I love the harlequin pattern! How would you apply the mosaic pieces to the pots? What color background paint would you use and do you have a pic of one that you've done. I'm trying to picture this but I'm not sure it's the same vision. I've got something in mind and I love scrapbook papers - I also sell my shaker cards and have addapted them into frame shaker cards so I have tons of scraps!!!!! This is going to be fun!!!

My FC Member Awards!

Curious?