Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Old 07-16-2008, 08:46 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
How do you organize your shopping lists & coupons?

How do you keep everything organized so that you know what you need and if you have coupons for certain items?

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 07-17-2008, 03:21 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I keep my coupons in a file box for 5X8 index cards. I have dividers for different categories and they are organized the same way the supermarket is set up:
Produce, Deli & Meats
Medical & Dental
Beauty & Hygiene
Household (stationery, batteries, lightbulbs)
Organic/specialty foods
Breakfast
Baking
Beverages
Peanut Butter & Jelly
Canned, Prepared & Ethnic Foods
Snacks
Soups
Condiments & Oils
Pasta, Rice & Potatoes
Paper Products
Laundry
Cleaners & Dish Soap
Soap
Wraps & Bags
Dairy
Breads
Frozen Foods
Ice Cream
Old 07-17-2008, 11:14 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Do you just take your grocery list and the box with you, then?

Do you mark it on your list that you have a coupon for certain items or do you just usually remember?

I usually keep my coupons in an envelope and then mark a star by the items that I have coupons for but even this way I have to sort through the envie over and over again and that takes a long time!

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus

Old 07-17-2008, 02:11 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Tami, I always take the box as my favorite store often has "unadvertised specials" that I can pair up with coupons.

But before I go shopping I make a list, and then put it in order of the store's layout. I pull out the coupons for the items I plan to buy, and put them in a clothespin at the front of the box. Just before I get in line, I make sure I got all the items I had coupons for. If not I take those out of the pile.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:40 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I have a magnetic basket that is on my fridge and I put all my coupons in there. I sometimes actually file them in their appropriate places like Barbzy does.
I have a grocery list on an envelope also on my fridge at all times. Every time we run out of something, or someone wants something, it gets put on the list.
I can then go through the coupons and put them inside the envelope and I put a 'c' beside the item.
When the flyer comes out on Fridays, I then finish my list.
I do take my coupons with me when I go shopping, cause I always end up buying extras that are not on my list!

Don't get your knickers in a knot It makes you walk funny!
Old 07-24-2008, 05:13 AM
Nine Year Member

I use an accordian style plastic folder to hold and organize my coupons. When I'm making my list on the back of a used envelope I'll pull the coupons I'm planning on using and mark how many coupons I have. I also take my coupon holder with me to make use of specials not in the sales flyer.

If I decide not to purchase something on my list that week I'll add it to another envelope for the next week when I get home.

Roberta
Old 09-07-2008, 08:56 AM
Assistant Moderator

I have been using the envie system for my coupons but it isn't working well. I liked the ideas in All You for sorting coupons but I don't want to fork out the money for the pages protectors at this time. Right now I keep the envies full of coupons in my organizer, filed by month. Not a good idea! My stores have unadvertised specials too, then I am searching for the right coupon.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:28 AM

Good afternoon all!!

Connie, I have a hinged plastic box with dividers into which I file my coupons. I have categories like canned and jarred together, I have a section for pasta and pasta sauce. I have one section for paper products, and another one for pet food. I don't divide them by months just for the same reason you mentioned.

I keep a running list of items I need, and if I know I have a coupon, will note it beside the item on the list. Before I go shopping I go through the coupon box first, to see if there are ones I have that I know are on my shopping list (before looking at the store flier) and add them to my list (which is written on the outside of an envie). Then, I go through the store flier to match up anything I see that is on sale, that I have coupons for, (at this point I might swap out Scotties tissues coupons for Kleenex if I have both coupons and the Scoties is cheaper that week).

I don't know that there is any best way - this is what works for me.

BTW I tried the notebook with the pockets (I used clear pages with the sports cards pockets, but the coupons didn't always fit and were difficult to get at. I went back to my box, which fits right into the child's seat. I have a gray one, so to remind myself to remove it from the cart - I taped a bright orange card to the top of it. Inside I have my name and phone number, and a promise of a reward if found and returned. I also keep an extra $5 at my house just in case I need to pay up. That has only happened twice - learned my lesson.

And,...once a month I go through all my coupons, and send the expired ones to the military. I don't want anyone who can use a coupon to be deprived because I failed to act on their behalf. And, our military personnel do so much for us, and get paid a pittance for their troubles.

Hope you find a good method to keep yours.

Take care all!! Norma
Old 09-08-2008, 03:14 AM
6 yr member
FamilyCorner Addict

Like Barb I use a index card box for my coupon's. I keep mine in date order also. That way I use the ones that are going to expire first. I also go on the grocery stores website and use there shopping list. It prints everything out by store order and you can also mark what you have coupons for. It will mark the stuff on sale for you.

It makes it so much easier and faster with the list and coupons in order.

Charlotte
Old 09-08-2008, 06:09 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by happymomof4
Like Barb I use a index card box for my coupon's. I keep mine in date order also. That way I use the ones that are going to expire first. I also go on the grocery stores website and use there shopping list. It prints everything out by store order and you can also mark what you have coupons for. It will mark the stuff on sale for you.

It makes it so much easier and faster with the list and coupons in order.
Does anyone know if places like WalMart have a printable shopping list?

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus