Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 11-06-2002, 08:28 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Powerful Perfumes Help!!

Hi!
Have any of you ever had the problem of perfumes
giving you headaches?? I can't wear most perfumes
because I end up with a killer headache by the end of
the day.

So far the only one that doesn't make me sick is the
Gap's scent called GRASS. Unfortunately, the Gap
no longer makes it! I am down to my last bottle and
wondered if you guys know of any light scents that
may work for me.

Thanks!
Old 11-09-2002, 01:44 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hi cheriegirl,

I have the same problem. It doesn't matter if I have on the perfume, or am just around someone else who has it on. I've found very few that do not affect me. I have lost my sense of smell, but I will still get headaches from perfume, only now I don't really know where it's coming from.

linda121345
Old 11-09-2002, 01:45 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Cheriegirl, I have the same problem. I think it's a matter of what I'm allergic to. I only use "White Shoulders", but that may not be the perfume for you. When I do use perfume, I usually just put it on behind my knees!! Then I get the fragrance, but it's not in my face. Good luck finding something new! Maybe a salesclerk at a good department store could give you some ideas.
Old 11-09-2002, 01:50 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thanks Ladies For The Help!!
Old 11-09-2002, 01:53 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Lightbulb

Cherie..I know just how you feel.I can"t even walk thur the cosmetic dept that by the time i do i have a instant headache, I have found that the "ONLY" perfume i can wear is WHITE SHOULDERS is a rally nice smell and it does"nt bother me at all...why? i don"t know..So i wish you luck, my husband would prefer none at all so i really don"t wear it that offen, TRY IT YOU MIGHT LIKE IT! Good Luck, Maureen
Old 11-09-2002, 01:56 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hi. Thats my problem too. I get really bad headaches from perfumes. My whole day could be ruined by someone walking past me, or sitting in a restaurant with someone nearby that didnt know when to stop when appying perfume! My husband when we first married didnt know I had that prob and just thought I didnt own any perfumes since I was a single mom and raising 2 girls. He just thought I didnt have perfume in my budget! Well, the sweetheart that he is went and bought me a very expensive bottle of perfume for our 2nd anniversary 13 years ago! I felt sooooo bad! That same bottle of perfume is still sitting on my vanity! I dont have the heart to get rid of it. It has been used once, I just wanted to try it out since it was expensive I thought maybe that would make a diff! Nope! But now he knows!

So I cant help you out, because I just dont bother trying them out! It just really does irritate me though when its so over used by some women, but that also applies to men too and their over abundance of after shave! I have found out that I can tolerate "Brut" for men in small quanities. So on very special occasions, hubby will splash a dab on for the evening. He's so used to me now when we do go out and happen to end up sitting close to someone with strong aroma that he has to change places with me, discreetly of course!

So good luck on your "quest"! Im sure someone out there must have a solution!
Old 11-09-2002, 02:44 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I don't get headaches as much as I do get asthma attacks. One of the reasons that I think the airlines should prohibit the wearing of cologne and/or perfumes. Before the plane even takes off the runway, due to the mixture of fragrances, I have my trusty inhaler out and puffing away!!
Old 11-09-2002, 02:55 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

That is soo true about airlines! I forgot completely about that as i have been "grounded" for over a year because of a med prob that retricts me from flying! But I used to fly all the time and that was a big Problem! It was like a had a sign around my neck that said" Please sit the person with the most colongne on next to me!" And thats someplace you cant usually get up and move to s different seat!

We are going out tonite, Im sure Ill find someone to give the "most fragnant perfume" award to!
Old 11-09-2002, 03:00 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Powerful Perfumes Help!!

Hi..I've had this problem all my life and my 5 daughters do too. I'm with the gang here...White Shoulders. I've worn it since I was 16, when it first came out. Any of the Leathers of the men's colognes and Estee Lauder and Tabu send me up the wall! Can wear Valentino, Opium and Wings. I've also found the body lotion form of the scents if available work, too or the perfume in soap. I really like it best anyway, it's lighter and it diffuses all over your body. Mmmm.
Old 11-09-2002, 04:30 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I have similiar headache problems with perfume. Seems to be "lighter" fragrances are a little bit better. I really like some of The Healing Garden scents as well as Clud Med's My Ocean. Natural oils work well too.

I even told a co-worker to please put out her candle as the heavy vanilla scent was gagging me.