Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 04-03-2014, 12:07 PM
Head Moderator

Panda Express Orange Chicken

2 pounds boneless chicken pieces, skinned
1 egg
1 1/2 tsp salt
White pepper
Oil (for frying)
1/2 cup plus 1 tbsp cornstarch
1/4 cup flour
1 tbsp minced ginger root
1 tsp minced garlic
Dash crushed hot red chiles
1/4 cup chopped green onions
1 tbsp rice wine
Orange Chicken Sauce (recipe below)
1/4 cup water
1/2 to 1 tsp sesame oil

Cut chicken pieces into 2-inch squares and place in large bowl. Stir in egg, salt, pepper and 1 tablespoon oil and mix well. Stir cornstarch and flour together. Add chicken pieces, stirring to coat. Heat oil for deep fryer to 375 degrees. Add chicken pieces, small batch at time, and fry 3 to 4 minutes or until golden and crisp. (Do not overcook or chicken will be tough.)
Remove chicken from oil with slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Set aside. Using a wok heat 15 seconds over high heat and add 1 tbsp oil.
Add ginger and garlic and stir-fry until fragrant. Add and stir fry crushed chiles and green onions. Add rice wine and stir 3 seconds. Add Orange Sauce and bring to boil. Add cooked chicken, stirring until well mixed. Stir water into remaining 1 tablespoon cornstarch until smooth. Add to chicken and heat until sauce is thickened. Stir in 1 tablespoon oil and sesame oil. Serve at once. Makes 6 servings.

Orange Chicken Sauce:

2 tsp minced orange zest
1/4 cup juice from 1 large orange
1/2 tsp sugar
2 tbsp chicken stock
1 tbsp light soy sauce
Combine all ingredients in small bowl and set aside.

Source: LA Times
Old 04-04-2014, 02:47 AM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

OMG!!! This recipe is the kind of recipe I dream about making! And eating!!! Thank you CL, for sharing this one.

The orange sauce sounds extraordinary!
Old 04-04-2014, 04:50 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

cat lover, my kids love Chinese... their favorite being General Tso's Chicken but they also love Orange Chicken. This recipe sounds pretty much like the authentic one by the ingediants

Unknown
Old 04-05-2014, 02:55 AM
Head Moderator

Chadsmom, my DH loves General Tso's chicken also; years ago we used to go out every Friday night to a local (back when we lived in a big city) Chinese Restaurant and he would always get that. It was a small family owned place and they were chased out of business by a national "chain" Chinese buffet. My DH was very sad about that and we have never found another place that it was as good. I've tried making it at home for him and although it is good it just isn't like that one! lol
Old 04-05-2014, 09:52 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

cat lover, we too only have small family owned Chinese restaurants in the two surrounding towns... Thank goodness, and they have all been around for as long as I can remember so a large chain would be terrible for us I think! We only have two restaurants in our town, an Italian and a seafood one. If our tastes are beyond that we have to go out of town, lol! The boondocks, so my youngest city slicker daughter says! (and these two little restaurants are family owned too). I am going to try this orange chicken as I am sure my family will approve

Unknown
Old 04-06-2014, 02:36 AM
Head Moderator

We have to go 60 miles one way to get to most national things now, French Lick which is about 20 miles one way does a a Denny's, but other than that restaurants are far away.

Our local town only has two also, one a summer time walk up that has picnic tables and one sit down, both local owned. So you see, we don't eat out much! lol