Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Contests & Prizes This forum houses contests run by FamilyCorner and Points & Prizes. There is also a forum for posting contests outside of this website.

Old 08-22-2008, 06:18 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

The Worst Gift Wrapper Contest

Have you ever received a gift where the paper edges don’t meet, or maybe the present appears as though it’s been pulled out of an attic? Or are you personally guilty of thinking a cute gift bag with coordinating tissue paper is creative? Gift-giving expert, founder of HPA Enterprises and the inventor of Bowdabra Sandy Sandler has launched a contest in search of the worst gift wrapper in America.

Bowdabra is looking for stories about the worst gift wrappers. It’s ok to turn in your sister, husband, best friend, mom or even yourself. Starting August 15th, 2008 until October 31st, 2008, entries will be accepted at www.bowdabra.com.

The contest features guest judges including Abby Foster, Editor, Crafts ‘n Things. The guest judges will select the top 10 worst gift wrapping stories from received submissions and ask them to submit a video of the person in action demonstrating their “unique and creative” skill. The 10 selected finalists will receive a personal gift wrapping “how to” session with Sandy and will have the opportunity to be named “The Worst Gift Wrapper” and win a trip for two to Las Vegas, Nevada*.

Go to www.bowdabra.com to turn yourself in or your neighbor as “The Worst Gift Wrapper” you know! Say good bye to tacky gift wrapped presents forever!

“The Worst Gift Wrapper” Contest Details*
Entry Dates: August 15th—October 31st, 2008
Finalist Selection: November 1st, 2008
Winner Selection: Black Friday, November 28th, 2008
*Grand Prize: A trip to Las Vegas for two.
Prize details include: Prize will include roundtrip airfare to Las Vegas from any major metropolitan airport in the continental US for the prize winner and a companion. Approximate value: $500 per person. Two nights hotel accommodations (double occupancy) in a popular Las Vegas strip hotel. (approximate value $500) round trip transfer to and from airport to hotel (approximate value $25). Two free tickets to see the Scintas (approximate value $100). Air and hotel accommodations subject to availability and blackout dates may apply. See contest details for additional prizes, requirements and restrictions.

All entrants will receive a free copy of Sandy’s new e-book on how to gift wrap. Other prizes will be awarded including gift wrapping items and gift cards to help those who are creatively challenged get in their best gift wrapping shape for the holidays.

Entry Requirements: Go to www.bowdabra.com and click on The Worst Gift Wrapper in America Contest link and share your story about why you or a friend or relative is the worst gift wrapper and why this person needs some creative pointers and help. Contestants will enter by uploading or otherwise submitting a video explaining why they are the worst gift wrapper in the world OR may submit a 50 word text essay that explains why they, or their friends or family members, are the worst gift wrapper in the world AND submitting a supporting photograph of an example gift wrapped item.

If contestant’s entry is selected as a finalist, they will be required to upload a video of this person in action wrapping a gift to visually demonstrate why this person is creatively challenged in the gift wrap arena.

For “The Worst Gift Wrapper” Contest Restrictions & Details, visit: www.bowdabra.com

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 08-22-2008, 09:56 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
OMG, I am going to send in my name.

Admittedly, I stink when it comes to wrapping gifts--mainly because I am cheap. ROFL!! I think that it's a waste of money to go out and buy wrapping paper, bows..etc when they're going to get ripped of in just a few seconds. I have come up with some doozies in my time!!

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 08-23-2008, 01:07 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

What may seem to be ugly to one is creative to another person.
Tami, I do relate to what you saying,and feel the same way.. Unless it a wedding or baby gift, or to someone else beside a family member.

I love the sacks and tissue, and in our family group we have fun to see how many times a sack will recycle itself.LOL.. we will tease oh,that came from ???? and then to??? now I got it back. Yea, wonder who get it next.
we are curious to know how long it will last?

We have came up with some dozy ways of doing pkgs that someone may think it tacky. LOl

If you enter Tami I hope you will win...

to bad my daughter doesn't wrap gifts like she used to or I could enter her.. LOL, I know that a bad mom saying that. LOL
Old 08-23-2008, 07:44 PM
Nine Year Member

Hey!!! Even buying gift wrap at a dollar store is a waste to me. It is funny how I feel as I get older. Call me terrible. I recycle gift bags. I'll just tear off that little card that people write on. I mean. Think about it. I am with Tami.....that paper just gets thrown away. And guess what...I have used newspaper and comic paper to wrap gifts. DGS will get official paper but everyone else can deal with a gift bag.

Proud Granny of Maddox Timothy Joseph and Saorla Laurie Elizabeth and Graham Michael Eric!

You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try.
Beverly Sills
Old 08-24-2008, 09:04 AM
FamilyCorner Addict

My giftwrapping skills are great as long as the pbject to be wrapped has no corners. Yep, I can't wrap anything with squared corners. Give me a bicycle and I can wrap it.
Old 08-29-2008, 07:43 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

When my daughter was pregnant and we had a baby shower for her, I have never seen so many gift bags. And yes, we have saved them. There have been many shower invitations since then and we also take off the tags if written on. Most of them are blank, though, since there is usually a card that comes with the gift. I love to wrap presents myself (I'm meticulous about it too) but no one seems to like them these days.

Old 08-29-2008, 08:08 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

One year as a Christmas gift TO EACH OTHER, my parents bought one of those Bose radio/CD players.

They needed a box to put some presents in, for Big DS, so they put them all in the box from the radio.

Big DS unwrapped the box and thanked them for their great gift--he never looked inside the radio box.

Eventually the grownups caught on to this and gently told him to open up the box where he found such boring stuff as pajamas....LOL

The Bose radio box has now become a family joke and it's making the rounds at Christmas and other occasions.
Old 08-29-2008, 03:49 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleychic
I love to wrap presents myself (I'm meticulous about it too) but no one seems to like them these days.
Oh, I love to receive beautifully wrapped gifts! I love gift wrapping, too, but I don't like the $$$ price tag that goes along with it.

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus

Old 08-29-2008, 03:50 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbszy
One year as a Christmas gift TO EACH OTHER, my parents bought one of those Bose radio/CD players.

They needed a box to put some presents in, for Big DS, so they put them all in the box from the radio.

Big DS unwrapped the box and thanked them for their great gift--he never looked inside the radio box.

Eventually the grownups caught on to this and gently told him to open up the box where he found such boring stuff as pajamas....LOL

The Bose radio box has now become a family joke and it's making the rounds at Christmas and other occasions.
That's so funny! I bet it's a game now to see who gets the "box"!

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus

Old 08-29-2008, 06:36 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

OH wow if my beloved hubby was still here I would enter him. He used "scraps" of paper masking or what ever tape he got his hands on. Newspaper in a bag instead of tissue. I can still see his packages but we all got a kick out of them.
We recycle boxes all the time. In fact it is a running joke when one opens the wrapping and we all wonder if it is what box says or heaven knows what. We have used cereal boxes, envelope boxes yep we are cheap in some ways lol. I love beautifully wrapped things and Gina is great at it but she sure did not get it from me lol