Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 11-09-2003, 05:03 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

barbszy.. this roaster thingy is new to me.. so I'm not the one to ask... maybe Shawn can help...... *s*

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."
Old 11-10-2003, 02:40 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Boiled Ham

I don't cook a whole ham, just the "butt" half. So that cuts it down to about a 9-lb ham right there. I am figuring I might be able to get one into the pot. It would be great, since that rack is really handy for lifting out the meat....when I boil a ham in my "cauldron" it's hard for me to get the ham back out of the pot (I'm not tall enough to do the job easily).

This might be in the plan for Leftover Day....we're planning to have some friends for Day After Thanksgiving Dinner (BYO Leftovers). DH has asked me to cook a ham for that day to give people a Turkey Alternative ;-)
Old 11-29-2003, 03:23 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Followup

I cooked the Thanksgiving Turkey and the Leftover Day Ham in my GE roaster this year.

I put a 19-lb turkey in, even though it said the max was 18 lb mostly because I couldn't FIND an 18-lb or smaller that was bigger than 11 lb, basically that would have been an Oven Stuffer with bigger bones . The stuffed turkey took 5 hours at 325. I cooked it for the first 1/2 hour at 450 to jump start things. I had one thermometer in the turkey and one in the stuffing.
It never browned, as I suspected would happen, but it was SO MOIST.

Yesterday I boiled a 9-lb ham in the roaster oven. I put the ham on the rack and filled the pot with water. The ham was cut-side down so only the little "tip" was out of the water. It took longer than when I do it in the stockpot but it was much easier to remove, and my guests commented that they would never bake a ham again. This ham was so juicy and not salty.

So the concensus around here was, this roaster is a KEEPER!
Old 11-29-2003, 06:34 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Barbszy... oh very good to know... thanks for the report...
Any one else use their roaster?
It didn't pay for us because it was just the two of us .....

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."
Old 11-29-2003, 07:11 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I did my turkey in the oven and my ham in the crock pot. But I used the roaster like a second oven to bake the scalloped potatoes and the corn casserole. I just place both casserole dishes side by sinde in the roasting pan. Potatoes were covered corn was not. Both came out fine. The corn was nicly golden and just the right amount of crunchy on the top. It took a bit longer then it would have in the oven. I have descided it is probably because the oven is better insulated so it doesn't loose as much heat as the roaster.
So glad to here every ones Thanksgiving was wonderful.
Now on to Christmas dinner... Prime rib on the grill here.
Smiles to you all,
Denise
Old 01-23-2005, 09:59 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Can you use it without the liner/insert?
Old 01-23-2005, 10:09 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

DEFNITELY NO.
You always need to put the insert in there. You can use it without the roasting rack if you want to make soup, stew, sauces....or you can set casserole dishes or baking pans on the roasting rack, or put meats directly on the rack.

But it's not good for the roaster to put things into the "heatwell" without the "cookwell" insert.
Old 02-10-2005, 10:30 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

They now have nesco roasters that offer a air lid which I hear does a wonderful job of browning things better....I dont have one. When I do a turkey or chickens in mine I take the whole pan and all after the meat is done cooking and stick it in the oven on a low broil to brown it. Works great. The roaster does a great job of keeping the meat moist.......also uses a lot less electricity than a regular oven.
Old 02-10-2005, 11:20 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I just happened to come across this thread. I love my roaster oven and use it all the time. We bought one for dd at Xmas and she loves hers, last weekend she had company over and did spare ribs in it.The thing she likes the most is she can put a whole meal in just that and cook it all at once.Its great for her because she has a much busier schedule than I do,but I cook big quantities alot even for the two of us and freeze things.In the summer I love it because its not as hot as turning on the oven.

Hugs Sandie
Old 02-10-2005, 12:22 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I have one of the convection roasters--a 12-qt size. It's great for roasting chickens! If I'm going to the trouble of doing a turkey I am going to cook a BIG turkey.

I use my 12-qt roaster for making roast chicken, chicken parmesan, spare ribs, soups, spaghetti sauce and more.